PDA

View Full Version : what the heck is wrong with charges

laughingman
19-10-2006, 18:36
I have been playing quite a long time, like 7 years- and I have been playing in alot of tournments with alot of different armies, some painted some not, but thats neither here nor there.
I was looing at the new rule book, and it came as a huge surprise one particular thing. If a unit declairs a charge, the other unit must declair its reaction before that messure occures, and carry out what it declaires. So if I declare a charge against a unit of hadgunners and im out of range they still can stand and shoot. Ok, I never played that way, but a more startling thing happened, If I declair a charge and the unit decides to flee, then the unit flees before i check if Im in range. THat means that if im 21 inches away and i charge 8 and I charge a unit that is fleeing they have to declair that they will continue to flee, regardless if IM in range or not. This also means that the warp lightning cannon gets charged from 48 inches away, its reaction must be flee, so even though its unsportsmanlike, it still flees.
Something must be done with this obvius loophole.
please help alluminate me if an errata has already been put out or something to stop the exploiting.

Festus
19-10-2006, 18:40
Hi

It was always like that (apart from the part with the WLC). YOu declare your charge, then the reaction goes off, and then you check to see if you are in range...

Festus

Azazel
19-10-2006, 21:55
Yeah the last game I played the High Elf player fled his Silver Helms from my Charging Daemon Prince. Turned out he would have been an inch short, but they still fled off the table.

That rule of the Warp Lightning Cannon should be fixed.

Makaber
19-10-2006, 22:15
Probably will be, come next Skaven army bood.

T10
20-10-2006, 06:54
"Bood"? :)

Anyways, only fleeing units and Warp Lightning cannons are required to flee if charged, and the former is the more common.

Did we come to a "verdict" on the case of charging fleeing units that are well out of range?

-T10

Milgram
20-10-2006, 07:10
well, we play it like this: if you think the charging unit is not in range, you can declare to stay with fleeing units or the lightning cannon, but IF he reaches you, you're autmatically destroyed as if the enemy reached you after your fleeing move.

Sherlocko
20-10-2006, 08:03
As for the WLC, just buy a small unit of night runner and put it in a circle around the machine. You can´t charge what you can´t see.

Tutore
20-10-2006, 08:21
It has always been so.

DeathlessDraich
20-10-2006, 13:25
If a unit declairs a charge, the other unit must declair its reaction before that messure occures, and carry out what it declaires. So if I declare a charge against a unit of hadgunners and im out of range they still can stand and shoot.

Measuring distances after charge reaction puts the onus of accuracy of distance judgement, on both players. Most players accept this is fair.
The unethical charge declaration has been discussed at length - see below.

"Bood"? :)
Did we come to a "verdict" on the case of charging fleeing units that are well out of range?
-T10

I don't think a unanimous verdict was reached the last time.

The problem is ascertaining a player's accuracy in distance estimation. A novice would be quite a few inches out and could easily fail to differentiate 6" from 8". Experienced players themselves vary in terms of ability is estimating long distance >12".

I personally think any 'wrong' estimate which has an error of less than 1" is acceptable and should not be regarded as unethical.
It's impossible to tell for longer distances.

However an estimate which is double or more than the actual distance is obviously not acceptable as a bona fide estimate.

Avian
20-10-2006, 13:30
THat means that if im 21 inches away and i charge 8 and I charge a unit that is fleeing they have to declair that they will continue to flee, regardless if IM in range or not.
Nope, fleeing units will only flee if successfully charged.

Festus
20-10-2006, 13:49
Hi

Nope, fleeing units will only flee if successfully charged.
That is correct, of course: cf. p.46

T10
20-10-2006, 14:04
"Unanimous" enough for me.

-T10