PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmanship

Taliesynkp
30-06-2005, 18:09
In the last tournament I was in (almost two years ago) I played against a player who used every dodgy trick in the book. Over-guessing with cannons, setting up situations so he "had no choice but to clip", and so on. When the game was over I nuked him on every score I could. Sportsmanship, comp, and even painting. When he complained after the tournament was over I told him his attitude was "anything to win" and he shouldn't complain when I tanked him since it improved my chances of winning.

What bothers me is that I think I should feel bad about what I did but I don't.

I got out of warhammer as much because of all the WAC players as because of GWs insane prices. I've been playing HALO2 on xlive lately and these guys are even worse, using mods to win. Even the games that are supposed to be for new players are full of "level 20" players who are modded to the max. When my subscription runs out in a week that's it. My bad experiences with Magic, Warhammer, and now Xlive makes me wonder if the world is full of ******** or is it just gamers.

Wez
30-06-2005, 18:42
Sportsmanship, comp, and even painting.
You down-rated his painting because of his attitude?!

Then you moaned about him on an internet forum.

And he's the bad sport?

-Wez

Baggers
30-06-2005, 18:46
I don't mind a person who plays to win, because I play with one of them. However I perfer to play with a gamer, have a few laughs if something go wrong and have a chat about stuff. However if they push every rule to win and moan that I won by cheating then they are getting a poor score.

skavenguy13
30-06-2005, 18:50
Yeah, there's a specific score for each, which shouldn't interact with eachother IMO. And yes, the world is filled with ******** and we have to deal with it. And everyone has his day where he is a total ******* too.

Math Mathonwy
30-06-2005, 19:09
My bad experiences with Magic, Warhammer, and now Xlive makes me wonder if the world is full of ******** or is it just gamers.
I really don't recommend that you go to work in a customer service then... Really, there are inconsiderate people out there and they are everywhere. But the good people make up for it and then some. I've met a few idiots in tournaments but still I feel I'm way, way on the plus side in my tournament experiences in total. Focus on the good, not on the bad, is the only advice I can give. In Warhammer that is much easier than in Magic or Halo, IMHO.

flytail
30-06-2005, 19:38
In the last tournament I was in (almost two years ago) I played against a player who used every dodgy trick in the book. Over-guessing with cannons, setting up situations so he "had no choice but to clip", and so on. When the game was over I nuked him on every score I could. Sportsmanship, comp, and even painting. When he complained after the tournament was over I told him his attitude was "anything to win" and he shouldn't complain when I tanked him since it improved my chances of winning.

What bothers me is that I think I should feel bad about what I did but I don't.

Yeah I get a lot of people like this. I give them bad ratings becuase it was them and their personality that made the game blow for me. I'm here to enjoy myself, so as it should go, they'll get nailed balls to the wall, if they can't provide some good sportsmanship with the game.

Katastrophe
30-06-2005, 19:38
And you are no different than the ******* you played. His comp and paint score have nothing to do with sportsmanship. Further, being dodgy and not cheating doesn't necessarily mean that he was a bad sport. Its people like you that make MOST players that play in tournaments want all those scores removed. It shouldnt be an excuse for inferior players to lower the other players score. Or if not inferior players then disgruntled players like you doing the same.

What if he was a real ass and tanked your scores on every category as well. What you did was just plain DISHONEST, in the claim of being mad with him for being an ass, isn't that just poor sportsmanship as well????

Star.Scream
30-06-2005, 21:03
>>>>>I know it sounds... Cliche, but try not to sink to their level. There are difficult people and jerks in every aspect of life, that includes family sometimes, but almost always you will run into them online, in the drugstore and at a tournament.

I can understand this guy got under your skin, and he deserved a low sportsmanship score; but by giving him a low Painting and Comp Score (and his army Comp might very well have been lousy too, considering the way he played), but by tanking his scores you only sunk to his level, and became attitude you dispise.

I know I wasnt there, I know I dont know how bad it was, and I know saying all of this is a lot harder then actualy doing it; but we all have to try to, I myself have to keep a cool head at work with unbearable constomers, let alone opponents whom I have to spend 2 hours with playing against.

Stouty
30-06-2005, 21:21
IMO you didn't do anything wrong and evened out the score. However because the score is even you have no right to bitch/whine/moan.

Lardidar
30-06-2005, 21:36
To be honest from your account of what went on you sound like a bigger ass than they were.

You also come accross as the worse sportsman - What the hell do his army comp and painting have to do with his attitude in the game?

Its players like you that make me angry that other players get to mark you on army comp and painting (it is something I reckon should be done by a judge), I also think that you should only pick one game out of all of them to give your 'best sportsman' to and they should recive bonus points.

MarcoPollo
30-06-2005, 22:12
IMO you didn't do anything wrong and evened out the score. However because the score is even you have no right to bitch/whine/moan.

Souty is absolutely right. If you were a sportsman about the issue then bitch and moan away. But if you sink to their level. Then you are just bitching and moaning yourself.

Griefbringer
30-06-2005, 22:14
I am definitely agreeing that the painting score should be only determined by the level of the painting job, regardless of the player fielding the models.

Slappy
30-06-2005, 22:50
Not playing to win is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail with a blouse full of goodies, but it's just illegal.

-Topper Harley

Lardidar
30-06-2005, 22:56
Not playing to win is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail with a blouse full of goodies, but it's just illegal.

-Topper Harley

LOL I just sprayed cherry coke all over my moniter :)

Quote of new Portent/ WarSeer so far.

EDIT - is it a film quote? if so what film?

anarchistica
30-06-2005, 23:09
EDIT - is it a film quote? if so what film?
Hot Shots 1 or 2.

There are alot of ******** but thankfully probably as many decent people.

leeoaks
01-07-2005, 00:27
i dont like tourneys at all not because i lose all the time, but because there no fun...i used to play at em all, but got so fed up with all the bad sportsmanship. i'm not complaining, cause i dont really care, i have a great group of gaming buddies who all love campaigning...we take it in turn to write and run them.....what do you expect from a tourney? especially the standard pitched battle one..... people will abuse the system...but if they think by pulling a fast one is good then let them....who are they kidding. i vote for scenario based tourneys where you have no idea what you will be playing untill you arrive.....reacting to a bad situation brings out a good general!

Slappy
01-07-2005, 05:11
It was from Hot Shots 1.

It's funnier when you hear him say it, just like all the goofy stuff they say in those films.

plasticfrog
01-07-2005, 06:02
i dont like tourneys at all not because i lose all the time, but because there no fun...i used to play at em all, but got so fed up with all the bad sportsmanship.

Yep, that's my experience (though I've only been to one and really should try at least 5 before I can make an informed decision).

The bad sportsmanship bit really gets to me. I think I prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of a gaming club than the maxed out uber rules player from hell. I'll say one good thing about Tourney's though- the armies that people paint up are amazing- too bad the players can be poo.

5c
pf

Archaon
01-07-2005, 06:06
That's exactly why i don't like sportsmanship categories in tournaments.

There's a reason why referees are used in every sport or competition because they are deemed impartial and neutral even when the game was very hot and dense.

But as a normal tournament can't employ 50+ refs for a bigger one the players themselves have to judge their opponent and if he was an ass and you are still mad this is what may happen.
We are all people after all.

However..in my tournament "career" i rarely encountered the player from hell, mostly they were very anal and overcorrect when it was my turn and less precise when it was theirs and especially when it was going bad for them.

But overall i'm satisified with my games..most tournament games were fun and civil. I make it a habit of shaking hand before and after the game and allow my opponent to correct huge mistakes which they normally wouldn't have made but even that has limits (you forgot your magic phase? Tough luck..it's a tournament).

But all you can do is shrug it off and hope for a decent opponent next game..you won't change him and in all likelihood he'll get mad as hell if you repay him bit by bit. It's not worth the hassle.