PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves 2000 Pts ~ Generalist

mozart
20-10-2006, 16:07
Hello everyone. I'm getting back in to Warhammer Fantasy after a few years of laying off of it. I am an ex-Orc player with designs on becoming a Wood Elf player, and as such I need feedback on army construction.

I've assembled a list based on information located here and upon my own observation. Please bear in mind that I own none of this, as the posting of this list is designed to aid me in making my initial purchases.

Thank you very much for looking. Comments and critiques are welcomed with enthusiasm.

My thoughts on units which bear some explanation are in orange.

-------------------------------------

Highborn ~ General, Great Weapon, Longbow, Annoyance of Netlings, Rhymer's Harp; 251 Pts

The idea is to make a powerful unit with the combo of the Highborn with the Eternal Guard. With the Annoyance of Netlings, he's quite well protected, and the Rhymer's Harp allows the unit to move through Difficult Terrain.

I like this against Champion challenges.

Noble ~ Light Armour, Battle Standard; 92 Pts

Pretty bland on the surface. Really he's just there to tag along with the Wardancers and give them much needed CR support.

Spellsinger ~ Magic Level 2, Lore of Athel Loren, Longbow, Dispel Scroll; 150 Pts

One Dispel Scroll is a problem. But with everything else in the army tooled down so much, I can't find the points for another.

20 Eternal Guard ~ Full Command; 270 Pts

Unit of badassery. A much needed hard unit.

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

10 Glade Guard; 120 Pts

10 Glade Guard; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

7 Wardancers ~ Musician, Bladesinger; 147 Pts

5 Wild Riders; 130 Pts

Treeman; 285 Pts

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 3

Total Army Cost: 1997

god octo
20-10-2006, 20:53
the list looks ver soldi, except in the magic department. I would either swap the spellsinger form a lvl 1 branchwraithe with cluster of radients or drop her to lvl 1 and get another scroll, as magic really kills us woodies.

Dark Apostle197
21-10-2006, 00:19
Yeah, when looking for magic defense, the branchwraith is better, expecially when that one random treesinging that doesn't get stopped wins you the game cause it blocks that all important charge :)

Alathir
21-10-2006, 06:57
Pretty solid list. If you can make the points, I would look into a unit of 4 treekin. Possibly replace the Treeman with them, marching the eternals and the treekin up the field together makes for a very, very solid block.

Nice going with the highborn + Eternal combo. I'd think about keep the BSB near them, its always very embarassing (and it happens alot) when you fail that leadership 10 stubborn roll.

Magic heavy armies will hurt, but you have enough Glade Riders for mage hunting.

mozart
23-10-2006, 14:01
Here is the list with the suggested changes. Again my comments are in Orange, my edits are in Red.

I decided to keep the Treeman in there, primarily because I just like the model and the fiction around him. It may not be the optimal thing, but that's ok.

As always comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Highborn ~ General, Great Weapon, Longbow, Annoyance of Netlings, Rhymer's Harp; 251 Pts

The idea is to make a powerful unit with the combo of the Highborn with the Eternal Guard. With the Annoyance of Netlings, he's quite well protected, and the Rhymer's Harp allows the unit to move through Difficult Terrain.

Noble ~ Battle Standard, Gwytherc's Horn; 105 Pts

Pretty bland on the surface. Really he's just there to tag along with the Wardancers and give them much needed CR support. Gwytherc's Horn is there for a points fill really, but I can see it helping with Pshycology if needed.

Branchwraith ~ Magic Level 1, Lore of Athel Loren, Cluster of Radiants; 140 Pts

Swapped out the Spellsinger in favor of the Branchwraith to get the extra dispel die from Cluster of Radients. Still nervous about not having dispel scrolls, but we'll see what happens.

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

10 Glade Guard; 120 Pts

10 Glade Guard; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

5 Wild Riders; 130 Pts

Treeman; 285 Pts

Casting Pool: 3

Dispel Pool: 4

Total Army Cost: 2000

Toddums
24-10-2006, 01:39
Pretty solid list. If you can make the points, I would look into a unit of 4 treekin. Possibly replace the Treeman with them, marching the eternals and the treekin up the field together makes for a very, very solid block.

Nice going with the highborn + Eternal combo. I'd think about keep the BSB near them, its always very embarassing (and it happens alot) when you fail that leadership 10 stubborn roll.

Magic heavy armies will hurt, but you have enough Glade Riders for mage hunting.

What leadership 10 stubborn role? You either use the stubborn units leadership for break tests (eternal gaurd ldr 9), or the generals. You DO NOT get to use leadership 10 stubborn, you pick on or the other.

Dark Apostle197
24-10-2006, 01:49
Toddums is right. Him being in the unit make the EG stubborn, not him. So you can use his moddfied LD 10, or unmodified 9.

Toddums
24-10-2006, 03:19
First off, your math is wrong on the list, or you forget to tell us about a magic standard. Secondly, your wardancers are immune to psychology, so why have a that item if you are sticking your bsb in there? Can he even join the wardancer unit?

mozart
24-10-2006, 03:38
Well, I've totalled the list up several times now and I either have a magical calculator or it is you who are missing something. Maybe the one in Red?

I don't see anything that would prevent the Noble from joining the Wardancers. Perhaps you could show me somewhere that tells me this is not possible?

Also, yes Gwytherc's Horn is wasted on the Wardancers. But there are other units that the noble could join freely should I find it advantagous for him to leave the Wardancers.

Maybe suggestions on other use for the points if you are against adding it to the Noble?

Thanks to those who have had helpful responses.

Toddums
24-10-2006, 03:52
Ah, sorry I forgot to add his horn. But now I see your list is OVER points. You made an error, a Noble with light armor and battlestandard bearer with the horn is 107 points, not 105.

mozart
24-10-2006, 03:56
Ah, sorry I forgot to add his horn. But now I see your list is OVER points. You made an error, a Noble with light armor and battlestandard bearer with the horn is 107 points, not 105.

Gah. I forgot to take his Light Armour away in the listing. Thanks.

Toddums
24-10-2006, 04:18
Sorry for nitpicking, didn't mean to come off as a jerk. Just wanted to make sure you had a legal list before I said anything about the contents.

First off, I want to give you kudos on the Highborn/eternal gaurd combo with rhymers harp. My best friend and vet woody player uses it, and believe me, it rocks. The unit is damn powerfull, easily taking of most units in a 1v1. So I would keep this for sure.

However, while your army is very fast and flexible, You have a lack of magic and magic defense that could come back to haunt you. One magic missile could destroy your dryads, or units of fast cav, quite easily too. Also, no hail of doom arrow? Oh its so good though..

Suggestions

Drop a unit of glade gaurd, and both unit of glade riders. Add 3 treekin, they hit hard and are pretty tough to bring down. Drop the BSB brantchwrait, and add two level 2 castors, with a dispel scroll each, and one should have calaingor's stave. Add an alter noble with great weapon, helm of the hunt, and hail of doom arrows. When he charges (pick target carefully) he gets 5 WS 7 Strenth 6 attacks!! Very nasty and unexpected. With his great movement he can get the hail of doom off wherever needed, and if you are worrying about him being shot at JUST MOVE HIM. He can march 18, easily enough to keep him out of harms way if you are careful.

So now you have magic defense, and 6 powerdice to play with. Plus the treeman's bound spell. Treesinging may seem to be mediocre, but when used right, it can win you the game. Use it to your advantage ( outnumbered by a lot? Use treesinging to move the forest towards the center of his lines. Now he has to split his forces up) Use it to make the enemy funnel in, instead of swarm you.

Also you can throw in a great eagle for warmachine hunting.

My friend runs a list like this, and he has suffered very few losses locally ( about 3?). He has been playing woodies for forever though.

mozart
24-10-2006, 17:19
After Toddum's suggestions and some further evaluation I have made some changes.

As before, changes are in Red.

I have removed the Noble and a unit of Glade Guard and added the units in red.

Spellsinger ~ Magic Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls; 175 Pts

Dropped the BSB Noble for a Spellsinger with Dispel Scrolls. After Toddum's suggestions I reevaluated the usefullness of the Noble and I found that I needed magic help more.

Branchwraith ~ Magic Level 1, Lore of Athel Loren, Cluster of Radiants; 140 Pts

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

8 Dryads; 96 Pts

10 Glade Guard; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

5 Glade Riders; 120 Pts

5 Wild Riders; 130 Pts

Treeman; 285 Pts

Great Eagle; ~ 50 Pts

Casting Pool: 5

Dispel Pool: 5

Total Army Cost: 2000

Toddums
24-10-2006, 19:48
Looking good. Don't have to worry about magic missles tearing you up now.