PDA

View Full Version : So, who's going to see Sin City?

Nid
01-04-2005, 22:10
I most definately am! I'ma waiting till Monday though because I got a job at a movie theatre, and I can see it for free!

Looks good. Very good. :cool:

I also hear Kiera Knightly is topless a lot! :eek:

m1s1n
01-04-2005, 22:24
Just got back from it.
I really dug it--very close the comic.
No Keira Knightly though . . .
I'll write a critique later after I've had something to eat.

Nid
01-04-2005, 22:27
Fine, ruin my dreams :(

Good to hear it didn't suck. Shame about Kiera though.

Edit: I just took what I heard at face value, however I have since searched the IMDB and it doesn't even list her as an actress, could the person I got the info from be wrong about which actress?

Is she even in it?

Kohhna
01-04-2005, 22:53
I fancy it more than Constantine.

I don't realy know the comic, I read 'the dame wore red' a few years back when it was being re-printed in Judge Dredd Megazine (sic) but I haven't read any of the rest of them, but i do like what I read.

m1s1n
02-04-2005, 02:06
You know 'nid--there really are enough gorgeous women in Sin City to compensate for the lack of a Kiera.

If you really need a Kiera-fix in a hurry you could always make the sacrifice to see "The Jacket." That's not a recommended.

Shuya
02-04-2005, 04:57
It looked really cool and a really original type of filming, im probly gunna wait till its out in box office, cuz none of my friends will want to go see it, ohh well.

Sylass
02-04-2005, 08:02
I definately want to see it. The trailer looked great. And it's a movie with Jessica Alba! I have to see that. :D

Too bad it'll take a bit of time until it's released here in Germany. :(

@tyranid05:
Keira Knightly isn't part of it.

It would be too much. Jessica AND Keira in the same movie? :eek:

Minister
02-04-2005, 13:07
May have to take a bit of a gander myself, although Constantine also looks good (and has dissapointed one of my palls by not actually being about Constantine, but then again he's a history student).

Sojourner
02-04-2005, 14:36
Constantine is very good. I've seen it. I saw the trailer for Sin City but haven't got around to seeing it yet.

Baggers
02-04-2005, 15:24
Yeah i am going to go and see Sin City, when its released in June. I will be seeing The Jacket and Pride and Predudice just to see the lovely Ms Knightly, shame she has a boyfriend. :(

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2005, 06:09
Sin City can be summarised in the following words: "Living Comic Book."

Once I write my review for the local paper, I'll post it here. :)

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 09:09
Doesn't come out down here until May 26th. Which is gay.

EVIL INC
04-04-2005, 12:23
Watched it yesterday. My fiance and I thought it was pretty good. I would recomend it as a "buyer" rather then a "see it at the theatre" though. Like most of the tarentino movies, you'll probobly have to watch it a few times to piece a lot of it together.
My fiance said it was kinda "gory", I could have done with less "comic bookyness". Overall, it gets the EVIL thumbs up. Like it really means anything. LOL

Sylass
04-04-2005, 12:46
Both of the trailers (new trailer on apple.com!) look as if the movie was yellowish-black&white. Is that actually the case? Or is it normal colour?

Just wondering...

EffCee
04-04-2005, 13:02
Film is black and white with some colour elements (love the torchlight effect on Clive Owens face!) and was mostly shot on green screen. I think it looks absolutely great. Jessica Alba AND Brittany Murphy in the same film, I always thought that this didn't happen in real life and was merely a product of fantasy. :p

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2005, 16:13
Like most of the tarentino movies, you'll probobly have to watch it a few times to piece a lot of it together.
The only part that Tarantino had a hand in was the the car chase. The rest of directed by Robert Rodriguez (Of El Mariachi fame... Oh. And Spy Kids.) and Frank Miller himself.

It follows the comics well that's why it needs fitting together IMHO.

Baggers
04-04-2005, 19:42
It does look like one of the better shot in front of a green scene movie out this year. Unless George Lucas has pulled something spectacular out, but the chances of that are slim to none.

I had heard that Tarantino directed this sequence for a single dollar, in exchange for Robert Rodriguez writing some music for Kill Bill for one dollar

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2005, 20:21
Here's the review I just submitted to the paper.

The only appropriate way to begin with review is with a summary of it, with a single word: Wow.
‘Sin City’ is directed by Robert Rodriguez, director of ‘El Mariachi’ and the other Mariachi films, as well as the first two ‘Spy Kids’ films. Yes, the man who made children’s films has created what could possibly be the greatest film of the year. Frank Miller, the creator of the Graphic Novel version of ‘Sin City’ is credited as Co-Director, which caused Rodriguez to be ousted from the Director’s Guild. Something he didn’t really care about.

Rodriguez uses the comic panels as a storyboard. Shots are literally taken straight from the books, and it shows. The film features more famous faces and talent than the last set of Academy Awards, and it shows. The amount of love-of-the-art put into this film is obvious. All of the actors relish in their roles, knowing that the film was in fact bigger than them. It is not a comic book adaptation – It is a living, breathing comic.

There are three lead male characters - one to anchor and narrate each of the trio of episodes that form the story. For the most part, these individuals do not cross over and invade each other's stories, they make an appearance, to let you know the stories are interlinked, but it’s the secondary character inhabiting Basin City that move between the stories with such liquidity it brings a tear to the eye. Not since ‘Pulp Fiction’ has storyline crossover been done so well.

Bruce Willis plays Hartigan, a tough-talking cop at the end of a career in a place where honest men like him are hard to find. Before accepting his pension, however, Hartigan wants to solve one last case and save an 11-year old girl from the clutches of a serial murderer/rapist, played with sycophantic gusto by Nick Stahl. He succeeds, in a fashion, but pays a terrible price in the process.

Mickey Rourke steals the show as Marv. The big guy is back, and plays Marv so well that one cannot help but sympathise with a man so large he can pull bars from brick walls and so sick he tortures everyone he can for information. Marv embarks on a psychotic revenge episode to avenge the hooker for whose murder he was framed. Marv pursues a violent, murderous course that takes him to the heart of Basin City's corrupt power structure, and seals his fate. Along the way, he meets Elijah Wood, as Kevin, a mute, super-ninja nerdy cannibal who fights like a weightless dervish. Wood is anything but a hobbit, and although he has no lines, he is disturbingly creepy. The boy makes Anthony Hopkins look like a pleasant proposition.

Finally, there's Dwight (Clive Owen), a wanted man with a new face who helps out the city's prostitutes when they accidentally kill Jack Rafferty, placed menacingly by Benicio Del Toro.

Shot in black and white (with a single colour scene in the bar that ties the three protagonists together, which is hard to even notice its so subtle at first) with splashes of colour. A red dress. A teal car. Red lipstick. Gold Hair. Red blood. The splashes of colour make this film fantastic. It just wouldn’t be the same in colour. As a tribute to ‘Film Noir’, it succeeds everywhere. The mood is perfect. The lighting is fantastic, the scenes are shot with such flare that one cannot help but gasp at some of the scenes.

Word to the wise before you leap to see this film. ‘Sin City’ makes ‘Kill Bill’ look like an hour of PBS kids. Most of the blood is either white or yellow, and only splotches or the bruises and cuts of beatings are red. One registers the quantity, but without the “Eww” factor, much like the black and white fight with the Crazy 88’s in ‘Kill Bill vol.1’. Be warned, the violence is gratuitous, but somehow it fits, and fails to offend. My count is probably off by a few hash marks here and there, but I can offer an approximate count of the graphic orgy of blood and violence. Nine instances of torture (including two heads stuck into toilet bowls), at least ten severed heads, nine severed limbs including hands, arms, a shot off ear, a bullet in the crotch, one ripped-out male member, one head bashed to a pulp, two electric chair shocks, three slit throats (one of , dozens of shots to the head, one execution-style mass-machine-gunning, and a suicide.

‘Sin City’ is a film the likes of which the cinema hasn’t seen for several years. Not since the original ‘Matrix’ have audiences been blown away by the sheer beauty of a film, as well as the fantastically sculpted and molded story. If you can stomach the violence, which hits like a brick to the face, it is easily one of the best rides we’re likely to have in the movies this year.

Inquisitor Cyarro
05-04-2005, 05:36
Well I know what'll be doing tomorrow night :D

VanHel
05-04-2005, 17:42
I've seen Sin City twice and all I can say is that it's ******* awesome.

Trench_Raider
08-04-2005, 21:40
I saw it a couple of days ago with the woman I date (we are both much too old for me to refer to her as my "girl friend"). I enjoyed it greatly and love how they kept most of Miller's flavor. I have been a Frank Miller fan since first reading "Dark Knight" back in the mid '80s.

After seeing "Sin City" I feel an overpowering urge to go out and buy an Uzi....airsoft replica or real steel! ;)

My evil partner did not care for it though. She thought it was overly violent, repetative, and misogynistic. But she's a left winger......

"Trench Raider"

JarLoz
08-04-2005, 21:44
Well, I'm going to watch it, after they'll get it here in dark north. Unless it is K-18 (How do you say it? M-rated?), then I'll curse a lot, and A) Download it illegaly from internet while muttering "You deserved this, you bastards!" or B) Wait for it to come out on DVD and rent it from the local DVD-rental shop whose keeper doesn't mind about renting violent movies to teens. :)

neXus6
08-04-2005, 22:03
I dunno when it comes out in the UK, but I'm currently in Newfoundland for a couple of weeks so I went so see it a couple of days back.

It is in a word, Brilliant. Makes such a change from all the other films, it's been a long time since there has been a truly original film like this one. Certainly worth buying on DVD when it comes out.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-04-2005, 22:04
Sin City is misogynistic? :wtf: That doesn't make much sense...

neXus6
08-04-2005, 22:23
LoL, yes it was so so misogynistic...:p

Yog Sogoth
09-04-2005, 00:01
I don't find it misogynistic at all. And I'm some what of a "leftwinger" :rolleyes:

Trench_Raider
09-04-2005, 20:17
And I'm some what of a "leftwinger"

Well, at the very least you admit when you have a problem! ;)

anyway, her point about "Sin City" being misogynistic is based upon her perception that all the women in the film are portrayed as either victims or whores. She feels it degrades women in a similar manner to many rap lyrics. While I'm on board about hip-hop/rap "music" I disagreed with her regarding the movie.

While hip-hop glorifies an unashamedly criminal subculture which actually exists this film was a wildly over the top parody of film noir in which all the characters were also highly exagerated charicatures. I feel that no one with any sense can take this film remotely seriously so in that respect it does not have the harmful effect of rap which many youngsters (most shockingly white suburban kids with no real contact with minority street culture) find to be "cool" and attempt to emulate.

But as I said, she's a leftist with feminist tendencies, so what do you expect? (yes, quite an odd match for the far-right anti-PC Trenchie :D )

"Trench Raider"

Nid
09-04-2005, 20:24
Well seen it twice now. I vote there weren't enough booblies. Other than that? Excellent.

Captain Stern
10-04-2005, 04:29
What I'd like to know is why the Uk is getting it later than any other country on the planet.

m1s1n
10-04-2005, 06:15
I can totally see how this movie would be viewed as misogynistic--however that does not change the quality within. It is a movie where the males save the females--and the females that are strong enough to save themselves are fundamentally male. I still think it is damn good.
"Sin City" has surpassed standard Hollywood filmmaking in so many ways that it deserves its own place in history.
First--completely digital backgrounds. This completely embraces the concept of "imaginary plane" and runs with it. Literally an entire world is sculpted by Rodriguez and Miller.
Secondly the film takes standard genres like "The Cop Flick" and film noir and twists them into a wonderful perversion of style and emotion. Everything has a classic feel to it--which makes it so much better to see it in a modern light. The assault on traditional form begins with the use of black and white, but with highlighted colors.
Rodriguez truly challenges the form, and creates an auteristic sensation that has never been seen before. I really commend his choice to make a different type of movie--a movie that will be completely identifiable to his style.

theimp
10-04-2005, 06:52
It's the most violent flick I've seen in a long time, but still I enjoyed it. The translation from comic to film format seemed a touch labored to me though. I would have liked the dialog to have flowed a bit more smoothly in some places too.

Yog Sogoth
10-04-2005, 07:28
I really commend his choice to make a different type of movie--a movie that will be completely identifiable to his style.

Heh, you mean Frank Miller...

m1s1n
10-04-2005, 19:04
In some ways yes. I definitely credit Frank Miller for being a co-director and the original source of the material. However, Rodriguez started this film without Miller on board and deserves credit for his part. Additionally, Rodriguez has done lots of other films that are a credit to his burgeoning "auter" status. The Mariachi trilogy is a great example of this--Rodriguez creates high-production value films for cheap, and makes them look good. "Sin City" is another good example for this--"Sin City" and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" are the most expensive films Rodriguez has ever made. "Sin City" cost roughly $45 million dollars, "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" cost $30 million. Considering that most movies of this scale near the $100 million dollar mark in cost it is pretty amazing that he is able to do the same production-value for less.

Prince_Tyrion
12-04-2005, 10:43
Saw it last night. Very cool, very violent, very tragic.

Sai-Lauren
12-04-2005, 11:13
What I'd like to know is why the Uk is getting it later than any other country on the planet.
June 3rd - any later and the 1000lb gorilla otherwise known as Episode 3 would be stomping all over it's box office. :rolleyes: Still, there's some places that aren't even getting it until August.
It's bad enough that Serenity got pushed back and hasn't been rescheduled yet...

Oh and Nid, just for you ;)
Kiera's IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461136/)

Scabby
12-04-2005, 14:44
It features a nude Carla Gugino... doesn't get much better than that!