PDA

View Full Version : Gun-servitors in the Necromunda Underhive, feasible?

Anthony Case
21-10-2006, 12:19
I'm not sure how many follow the Necromunda rules here, but recently gun-servitors were introduced into the Pit Slave gang rules (escaped guilder slaves augmented by their owner: pic (http://www.newwave.org/minis/contest/postapocalyptic/lgimages/geoffburbidge1.jpg)) and in terms of background I'm curious to know how feasible it is for these groups to get their hands on a gun-servitor considering they are outlaws living in the Underhive.

As far as I'm aware all servitors are created by the Adeptus Mechanicus and shipped to any planet that needs them, although I'm sure regular servitors are quite common in Hive City and the Spire, wouldn't gun-servitors be extremely rare in the Underhive?

Also pit slave technos are no techpriests, so given their tools and lack of availability to spares, would they even be able to maintain gun-servitors in the Underhive?

t-tauri
21-10-2006, 13:19
Looking at the degree of bionics in the Pit Slaves themselves it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for the slaves to suggest they can maintain bionics indefinitely themselves. If they had laser rangefinders for building then they'd be easy to modify and reprogramme to use that to target a gun. Given the ready availability of heavy weapons in the underhive plus the degree of free will the pit-slaves have it's not surprising they'd rebuild themselves.

A servitor is just a frame onto which you can add equipment and software. A heavy duty construction servitor is only a few hours in a workshop away from being a heavy duty combat servitor.

Llothlian
21-10-2006, 13:25
Servators are everywhere in 40k. Everybody has them, they are cheap as chips! A complex weapon such as a Heavy Bolter would be more difficult to get a hold of aand maintain, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't steal / buy one.

Anthony Case
21-10-2006, 14:55
But I thought the combat and gun servitors were entirely different from the regular common servitors such as cargo or medicae? The regular servitors being mind wiped and programmed to serve a very specific purpose, therefore could never be much use for any other purpose. However, the much rarer combat and gun servitors have a greater degree of 'free will' to perform their more complex duties.

Is that not the case? Can all servitors be re-programmed to perform any task?

Oh and is it the case that all servitors are only ever manufactured and distributed by the Adeptus Mechanicus?

Khaine's Messenger
21-10-2006, 16:09
As far as I'm aware all servitors are created by the Adeptus Mechanicus and shipped to any planet that needs them, although I'm sure regular servitors are quite common in Hive City and the Spire, wouldn't gun-servitors be extremely rare in the Underhive?

Maybe. But most of the Houses whose "gangs" inhabit the Underhives probably have more than a few in their employ in their Hive City compounds, so there's likely a good number running around the lower reaches in ganger entourages (or stolen and "hacked"--chop shops of the dark millenium!). They likely won't last long without repair (the current Pit Slave list does require a technician, "usually an enslaved van Saar," to have a Servitor), but then having one at all would probably be a lot like flashing "bling." ;)

would they even be able to maintain gun-servitors in the Underhive?

If they can maintain Pit Slaves, then yes. By the time they come out of the Underhive, they might not be as healthy as if it had been tended by Enginseers their whole "lives," but they'll be serviceable....

Zzarchov
21-10-2006, 16:10
Pit slaves aren't servitors, just cyborgs.

2_heads_talking
21-10-2006, 16:14
Incidentally, that was the model for the Pit Slave gang leader, released a good long while back (before the new Necromunda rules).

As for being a gun servitor, I think it would be possible. Are there rules indicating that it must be given commands (i.e. stay within range of a friendly model to do something)? In that sense I could then understand it, for grabbing a servitor through the black market and kitting it with a gun wouldn't be difficult, though judging from the model it won't be expected to carry heavy weaponry.

Lothlanathorian
21-10-2006, 16:18
Servators are everywhere in 40k. Everybody has them, they are cheap as chips! A complex weapon such as a Heavy Bolter would be more difficult to get a hold of aand maintain, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't steal / buy one.

'Yes, I'd like a bag of Utz and two servitors please....You know, on second thought, keep the Utz.':confused: :p

IIRC corrrectly, many servitors are tube grown without higher brain function (born with a lobotomy) and built from there, or they are criminals that get mind wiped and turned into a servitor. The pit slaves, IIRC, are just people with bionics, which is not the same as being a lobotomized slave-robot-man. Although, I do like the train of thought of 'normal' servitors getting jacked and taken to a chop-shop of sorts where they modify it and turn it into a gun servitor. My only question is, can I get spinners on it?

Anthony Case
21-10-2006, 17:14
Ok thanks guys. So just to clarify, a guilder for example could just purchase a regular cargo or medicae servitor, re-program it and kit it out with a heavy weapon essentially turning it into a gun-servitor?

Inq. Veltane
21-10-2006, 17:37
Not sure. It would take a lot of skill to make those sorts of modifications. I think there would be nothing stopping a guilder just buying a gunservitor as a bodyguard though.

t-tauri
21-10-2006, 19:54
Ok thanks guys. So just to clarify, a guilder for example could just purchase a regular cargo or medicae servitor, re-program it and kit it out with a heavy weapon essentially turning it into a gun-servitor?
That's basically what the AM do in times of crisis anyway-reprogramme civilian servitors. I don't know if they'd use a medic servitor-it'd have expensive programmes and medical tools built in. A servitor from a factory or a copying scribe, sure.

You'd need some basic equipment and know how but if they can build and maintain bionics then those technical personnel should be able to bolt a heavy stubber with firing mechanism and ammo hoppers onto a servitor. Just think of it like a mechanic moving an engine from one car to another. It takes a little time and effort and the right tools but straightforward enough to a decent proportion of the population. Decent combat software might be harder to find but if you've the cash and a bribable tech priest...

Cerberus
21-10-2006, 19:56
As said before, the Pit Slaves themselves might not be able to get hold of a gun-servitor fresh from the factory, but I'm sure some guilders have bought themselves gun-servitors as bodyguards. Then it's just a case of the Pit Slaves deactivating it (which may be a problem as it's more than likely going to be shooting at them), then stealing and re-programming it.

As well, gun servitors are sometimes just modified mono-tasks, and they're as common as droids in star wars, even in the underhive, so the pit slaves could just steal one and hook it up with a black market heavy weapon.

Zothos
22-10-2006, 04:18
GW made Eldar Fire Dragons and Farseers for Necromunda....a Gun Servitor seems like a much smaller leap in comparison...

sanctusmortis
22-10-2006, 14:28
There would indeed be gun servitors. IIRC, people use them as security drones. It's just the AdMech and Inquistion use "heavier" variants and take them to war.

Llothlian
22-10-2006, 15:19
Most Gun Servators are simply captured slaves, augmented with bionical bits and with concealed small arms.

Voronwe[MQ]
22-10-2006, 15:34
Slaves? I thought that most of them was either vat-grown or criminals sentenced to the Servitudi Imperialis; ie, lobotimation and then 'augmented' for certain tasks. But I might of course be wrong, or be out with too old sources.:p

Llothlian
22-10-2006, 15:45
With the amount of coruption in the Imperium do you think most people would think twice about picking somebody up off the street to use as a new Servator? Of course, "official" servators are "criminals" but does that actually mean they came from a prison? ;) Having beliefs contrary to the Emperors wish is a crime, and if a member of the AdMech thinks you are in the wrong place at the right time, thats a crime. So technically, anybody abducted for this purpose is a criminal. :D