PDA

View Full Version : FW Reinforced/Spaced Armor Kits, Who's used them?

Sandalphon
22-10-2006, 05:34
I'm in the process of revamping my Space Marine Force. The only thing that "dates" my models is the rather large collection of MK1 Chassis tanks I own. Now with the changes to the overall usefullness of transports, I find myself wanting to replace my current Predator and Demolisher with the newer MK2 models by both GW's Predator and Forge Worlds Demolisher.

I have a converted Land Raider Crusader and have used Forge Worlds line of Salmander doors and spaced armor on that kit and was very satisified with the results.

However, I have no first hand knowledge of their MK2 Rhino line of armor, thats where hopefully someone here at WarSeer can help me out.

There are 2 Kits I am interested in; the first being the "Spaced" armor for Rhinos, and the second being the "Reinforced" armor for Predators. Does anyone have pictures or at least a good descrption of the individual parts included in those 2 kits? I searched all though the Forge World website but their pictures only include finished kits on the model.

Also, could the "Spaced" Rhino kit be used on a Predator? Or would that kit in someway interfere with the side sponsons operation?

Thanks in advance, anyone care to share some info? :)

bobbyc
22-10-2006, 06:52
First rule when dealing with FW resin armor kits - buy them at your local GW battle bunker, if you can. They'll have multiple copies of the sets - which will help you when you "test size" different packs against your plastic Rhino/LR you've brought in with you.

This helped me when I bought track guards and spaced armor for my Inquisitorial Chimera - I went through a few sets before I found one that wasn't warped or shot though with bubbles. The finished product is pretty nice. Sorry, no pictures yet.

I prefer the "reinforced" armor for the Rhino - that's the one that doesn't look like a flat panel of armor. The reinforced armor are bits and nubs that lay over segments of the rhino's side armor, as well as a door armor that slots into the existing door. Very nice.

YMMV,

bob

Sandalphon
22-10-2006, 08:17
I prefer the "reinforced" armor for the Rhino - that's the one that doesn't look like a flat panel of armor. The reinforced armor are bits and nubs that lay over segments of the rhino's side armor, as well as a door armor that slots into the existing door. Very nice.

Bob, whats the parts count on that kit? You also mentioned the door armor slots into the doorframe of the rhino hull?

I took a close look at the models with the armor on them, am I correct in aproximating there should be 10 or so pieces in the reinforced kit then?

Trying to get an exact idea where the "break lines" are on the kit, It looks like front armor panel, a engine armor bit, the door armor you spoke of, another engine armor bit and the back panel armor? Or are the parts that cover over the exausts on the hull attached to one or more of those pieces? Obviously with left and right versions of the fender armor.

Thanks again.

Brimstone
22-10-2006, 09:22
Both armour sets come in three parts per side, front, rear and a middle section that goes over the door area of the chassis.

McMullet
22-10-2006, 12:55
I have one of each. The reinforced armour is pretty nice (no pics I'm afraid), but the spaced armour is, to be honest, a waste of time. You could replicate it with plasticard for a fraction of the price, and I found it was quite badly cast. It wasn't simply a warped falt piece, the bit was actually a bit misshapen and had a pretty poor finish. Not enough to really complain about, but enough to make me wonder why I'd bothered...

Here's my Whirlwind with spaced armour: http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p18381382.html

Romanus
22-10-2006, 13:18
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/nathanjurgs/DSC00076.jpg

Theres a pic of my inquistors rhino with reinforced armour on it. Also used RF armour on my Grey Knights LR, looks pretty good to. My BT have spaced srmour on there Crusader LR, and while it doesn't look as good as the GK's one i was going for a less tekky approach for then. Anyways, hope it helps

Cheers Rom

bobbyc
22-10-2006, 16:18
Whoops, the reinforced armor is the stuff I like on the Rhino - nice picture Rom. I did the spaced armor and track guards on the Chimera.

bob

Sandalphon
22-10-2006, 16:29
Thanks for the replies everyone, they gave me alot better idea of the kit contents now. Double thanks to Brimstone on the parts count of those kits. Now the tough part, which ones to get, and either to use the dozer blade on the FW Demolisher or not. :eyebrows:

Cheers all