PDA

View Full Version : NG Unit Size?

Fabiusbile
22-10-2006, 09:06
I recently managed to assemble and prime my NG from BfSP, but I'm wondering in what size I should deploy them. I play mixed O&G and I'll try to use them as cheap way to give some of my damaged Orc Boyz units cheap +CR and some kills through spears.

What Unit size would you suggest for a unit that is required to fill this role? I currently can't decide between 25, 30 and 35. 35 seems a bit big and unwieldy and doesn't look very good on the battlefield. Still, with 35 I can loose 15 Goblins before loosing CR. With 30 I'm not sure if I should deploy them as 6 * 5 or 5 * 6. I'm no so worried about loosing gobbos to shooting, most of the time my opponents will shoot other things. 25 would be another option but I think 25 is not enough in most cases.

I'll equip them with spears and shield and plan on including 1 fanatic to keep my opponents alert ;).

So, what's your opinion?

blurred
22-10-2006, 09:58
I use my NGs in units of 20, but I only use them as fanatic carriers and baits. If you really want to use them as fighting unit I'd suggest taking about 30 of them. 35 or more is a bit overkill IMO.

I play mixed O&G and I'll try to use them as cheap way to give some of my damaged Orc Boyz units cheap +CR and some kills through spears.

You sure you want to pay extra points for a couple of S3 attacks and lose a point of AS? Spears are next to useless with goblins (once again IMO). Get netters instead. The enemy is in big trouble if he has to fight your orcs with -1S.

Snotteef
22-10-2006, 13:14
I agree that spears are far too expensive for any goblin these days (of course if all you have are the BfSP models then I understand why you're doing it). Trust me when I say that the extra attacks are not likely to garner you much. The extra save will probably be better AND cheaper.

If you just want cheap CR, like you said, then hand weapon and shield. If you do change to this configuration, then 5 wide is fine. If you stick with spears, I'd go 6 wide for the 2 extra attacks. If you do hand weapons, I'd use 35 (they're cheap). If you upgrade to spears use 30 (4 points is actually quite expensive... for 1 more point you could support your orcs with more orcs:p ), then go 30. I'd only buy nets if you use hw/shield, otherwise you're paying MORE than you would for an Orc unit. :eek:

ardude
22-10-2006, 13:57
25 or 30, without spears and no banner, just an musician.
you then have a cheap disposable fully ranked up unit.

Avian
22-10-2006, 13:57
If you intend to use them as support units, then 20 to 25 models with a musician is a useful unit.
If you intend to use them as a combat unit, then 30 to 35 led by a Big Boss and having full command is a useful unit.

Goblin units should always be deployed as narrow as possible (i.e. 5 wide), since their low fighting stats means they are unlikely to kill very many people anyway and the disadvantages of a wide unit (it takes longer to wheel and you start losing rank bonus sooner) does not outweight the one or two extra attacks you'll get.

Crazy Harborc
23-10-2006, 01:34
Today.....40 NGs, spears, command and 3 fanatics. My opponent had 15 Corsairs and 20 Witches.....just waving and yelling:D Two of the "F"ers did 7 witches. The Corsairs lost 4 to a fanatic and charged the NG unit. They killed 3 NGs and failed their CR.:D ......My gobbos caught the unit.

In 6th I preferred 30/35 body NG units. Against Elves, I used 35/40 with three fanatics. Today, I used 40 bodies.....IF they had not taken out Elves with the fanatics AND in HtH they couldn't have outnumbered two to one. They have to do that not to fear Elves.

Fabiusbile
23-10-2006, 14:37
Thank you all for the input! I've decided to go with 30 and maybe nets. You're right Snotteef, I need to use my NG from bfsp and so I don't have much choice. I do have another unit of 35 NG also armed with spears and shields ("old" models). I really liked this unit back in 6th. Maybe I'll convert them later and give them handweapons.

All In all I don't think gobos aren't so bad as everyone tried to make them ;). But then again thats just the opinion of an unexperienced player :P.

PS: I still have my NGs with bows from BFSP. I'm not so sure If I want to use this unit at all. Any opinions and if in what size?

Avian
23-10-2006, 14:44
PS: I still have my NGs with bows from BFSP. I'm not so sure If I want to us this unit at all. Any opinions and if in what size?
20 NGs with short bows and a musician is, if nothing else, very cheap and there's a limit to how stupid it can be to take them. They are unlikely to kill anything at all with either shooting or in close combat, but they can hold a table quarter. In addition, some opponents get demoralised if you field a really huge horde, even if a lot of it isn't very good.

There is however no excuse for giving them a standard - with a banner they are 164 easy VPs for the opponent instead of 64 easy VPs.
:p

MadJackMcJack
23-10-2006, 19:51
PS: I still have my NGs with bows from BFSP. I'm not so sure If I want to use this unit at all. Any opinions and if in what size?

Just shove them in the back of existing spear gobbo units to increase their size. Makes the unit look disorganised (a good thing with greenskins) and lets you use 2 units of 30 from Skull Pass.

Snotteef
23-10-2006, 20:52
I like the 20 man shortbow unit. I use them to screen my warmachines. They can hold up fast cavalry and skirmishers for a while. Sometimes I put my fanatics in this unit. Kills fast cav dead!

Crazy Harborc
24-10-2006, 01:59
Yesterday, my opponent kept looking at my 30 NGs with bows. He knew they only have shortbows, he kept an eye on them anyway. The 3 fanatics were real......the ONES they kept rolling for animosity didn't help:(

40 NGs with spears command and 3 fanatics:D It was different having my NGs still battle worthy after launching the bowling ball on a chain wackos.

One thing that didn't change for me was/is....my fanatics will move short and dance around without doing much harm after that. Well two out of 9 total, did swing through his witch elves:evilgrin: