PDA

View Full Version : Anvil of Doom-worth it?

Acolyte
22-10-2006, 17:07
I'm considering using an Anvil in my 2000-point army but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing one. Yeah, the assorted runes are kind of nice, but they just don't seem to be worth 140 points. Plus, having one makes your Runelord a Big Damn Target to boot.
However, I've played a bare handful of Fantasy games, and never with an actual Anvil. Anybody have some experience with it?

WLBjork
22-10-2006, 17:55
It's a huge chunk of points. Even a "naked" Runelord with Anvil weighs in at over 15% of your points cost. Most folks would tool them up to the 20% mark.

Really, they're more suited to 3000+ games IMO.

Nils-Ake
22-10-2006, 18:57
I don't agree. Leeting your miners charge same round the enter the table are lovley and extra movment are never bad.

Karu
22-10-2006, 19:02
Anvil is the second cheesiest thing in the new dwarven book, and the best thing is a kind of an anvil too (Thorek). Extra movement with no chance of dispelling is just incredible, especially when combined with miners. And yes, it might contain 20% of your points, but so what? Destroying runelord on his anvil is quite difficult, even if you could see it.

Quin 242
22-10-2006, 19:11
Cheesy or not it's an option that Dwarfs have and they'd be foolish not to take it.

And even if you are a stand and shoot Dwarf Lord that has no plans to charge... the ANVIL TACTICAL NUKES (runes of wrath and ruin) are nice to have :) AND they slow down charges/assaults too..

Alex
22-10-2006, 19:12
Not to mention that a runelord on anvil apart from giving you access to those nasty runes (the movement one, and the ancient power of the shooty one which also slows down enemy units are just superb) also give you 3 extra dispel dice, which makes him even more useful against anyone using magic. 7 dispel dice can keep a lot of nasty spells away.

This is just from reading the book though, I haven't actually played against it in it's latest incarnation (yet).

Finn Sourscowl
23-10-2006, 12:26
It is very powerful, but in a 2000 point game, eats so many points, I can't see it being worth it. Even a tooled up lord isn't going to be as expensive. Personally I just don't see it being worth it's points in a small game. Of course, in bigger games...

And for those who say it's cheesy cause it gives you movement that can't be dispelled... Orc Waaagh anyone?

woytek
23-10-2006, 13:03
It is very powerful, but in a 2000 point game, eats so many points, I can't see it being worth it. Even a tooled up lord isn't going to be as expensive. Personally I just don't see it being worth it's points in a small game. Of course, in bigger games...

And for those who say it's cheesy cause it gives you movement that can't be dispelled... Orc Waaagh anyone?

orcs need it, what are you talking about? :wtf:

Speed Freek
23-10-2006, 13:19
I played a Warhammer league of 2250 points with the Anvil as part of my fixed list.

It was my MVP in most games. The ability to shut down flyers and to allow key charges was key in most of my games. The only game that I lost in the league was where I rolled ones on three consecutive turns on the Anvil.

I believe that it can be a very good addition to a 2,000 point list.

Finn Sourscowl
23-10-2006, 14:55
orcs need it, what are you talking about? :wtf:

I never said they didn't. I was just pointing out that if people consider the anvil cheesy cause it allows a unit to move, effectivley casting a spell that can't be dispelled, what do these people think of the orc Waaaggh rules... or the new animosity rules?

Sorry, this is off topic. I didn't intend to start a debate about whether the Anvil was cheesy when compared with other units/rules that do similar things.

Cloud Strife
25-10-2006, 15:03
To be honest I've tried both ways of playing a Dwarf army in 2,000 points - ie with a Dwarf Lord and with a Dwarf Runelord, and more often than not I find that the Runelord is far far superior due to the flexibility that it offers and the fact that he tends to make a much bigger impression on the game and helps your army more as I tend to find that Dwarf Lords just get ignored until the opponent wants to fight them if they do....

As for points cost - Dwarf Lords can be up to 300 points, while I tend to find you pay around 400-450 for a useful Runelord, and given that you will probably be wanting a Runesmith to accompany the Lord I think the points cost isn't that big a problem.

As for its uses, well it tends to fit into any army that the Dwarfs can make. Want an aggressive Dwarf army - use Strollaz and then Rune of Oath and Honour for extra movement. Using a gunline then use Wrath and Ruin to hurt them slightly and slow down the units you don't want hitting your line, and you can still use O&H to charge units in if neccessary, or if you have relief troops for your gunlines like Miners or Rangers. I'll not comment on the final Rune as I haven't had the chance to use it yet as haven't played that many fear-causing armies recently, but the ability to give your entire army a BSB, and re-roll panic, while being immune to fear and terror does seem handy if you can hit ancient power.

As for making the Runelord a target apart from obviously giving him Runes to help batter opponents who get to him, the easiest way to make him hard to kill is to hide him in a forest more for the case of stopping charges as opposed to shooting. Oh and GW did say that you are allowed to entrench an Anvil in their FAQ so even more ways to defend it (and its not going to move)

So overall I'd say Runelords are certainly worthwhile in 2k, and are well worth a try, and if you really want to see an anvil at its greatest power then take some old Runelord. I think his name was Kraggi with his assistant Thorek ;)

larabic
25-10-2006, 16:49
I agree that it is made for bigger games...3000 pts or more. I add very vew things between my 2000 and 3000 pt armies but most off is the miners and the anvil which work so perfectly with each other.

Until the miners show up i use the rune of wrath and ruin to slow down flyers or cav (wrecks chariots days all around), regaurdless of doing any damage or not...it gives time for the warmachines to pound the enemy line.