PDA

View Full Version : Various Dark Age of Technology Questions and Plausibility

jma037
22-10-2006, 22:19
Hey guys. Once again I need help on fluff for my up coming campaign for my gaming group. This one is going to be a tribute to the Fallout series of PC games.

Please comment on it's plauibility and help me with some questions.

The basic plot is this. In the final days of the dark age of technology, human worlds in a isolated system is experencing their version of the end of days. With uncontroled mutations/psykers and devastaing wars in their star system. So they constructed various massive (and I mean MASSIVE) Vaults on different moons of various gas gaints/planet in their star system. These hidden vaults are entirely self suffecient and each have a variation of the gellar field on space ships to protect them from demonic intrusions and such. Think of them as smaller underground hive cities with a HUGE door in a hidden entrence. These sealed vaults were suppose to sustain these people indifinately untill a signal is send from an forgotten command vault signalling the end of the end times and the vault dwellers will then rise from the vaults and rebuild humanity. Through out the ages, these vaults are either destroyed, raided, their occupants exsited by them selves....a thousand other reasons.

All except one. Vault 13. This vault survived. Although, the entire vault is not fully functional, they managed to survive to this day. Their numbers has decreased from the orginal millions to tens of thousands. Their culture has not changed dramatically. A stern overseer commands the vault and ensure that culture and technology is perserved. Some tech are lost, but in general, they are living just like when they went into the vault. Recently however, one settler was send out to find a water chip that finally broke after tens of thousands of years of operation. He however, was not so lucky as the hero in the fallout series. He was captured and tortured and the location of the vault was uncovered. Some how word got out. And everyone(imperail, chaos..etc) now all wants a pieace of this dark age of technology pie...

Questions:
1) Can people from the dark age of technology communicate with modern imperials?

2) How difference are the weapons from those age ( vault dwellers use them) is from current? Can I approximate a vault dwellers army using any army lists?

3) How long ago precisely was the dark age?

4) Out of interest. Who loves the fallout series here?

Other questions will be added as they come up.

Any comments, inputs and ideas will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks guys!

grimsnagga
22-10-2006, 22:33
Questions:
1) Can people from the dark age of technology communicate with modern imperials?

2) How difference are the weapons from those age ( vault dwellers use them) is from current? Can I approximate a vault dwellers army using any army lists?

3) How long ago precisely was the dark age?

4) Out of interest. Who loves the fallout series here?

1) IIRC, the Imperial Gothic language decends from Tech, the spoken language of the DAoT. Which means it might be as easy as a modern Frenchman understanding Classical Latin... or as hard as that same modern Frenchman understanding Indo-European.

2) STC technology is pretty consistant... the DAoT people just know how to build correctly. My take would be an army of IG Stormtroopers with hellguns and plasma guns as standard arms.

3) The Age of the Imperium has lasted 10,000 years. The Age of Strife, IIRC, lasted 5,000 years and the Age of Technology preceeded it. So at least 15,000 years. To put that in context, that would be the equivelent to us of the year 13,000 BCE...

4) Never heard of it...

Ivan Stupidor
22-10-2006, 23:56
I'm partial to representing the DAoT language(s) (as it's entirely possile that, without the unmoving bastion of greater Imperial culture keeping language constant, there's a whole lot more variations than there has been languages on Earth) as ancient Greek, simply because of the High Gothic/Latin of the Imperium (and, one supposes, the multiple planet-states of the DAoT compared with the relatively centralized Imperium*). A different alphabet would be quite the hurdle to get over, especially if some letters look familiar, but mean something completely different.

That being said, I believe some pre-Imperial Languages (probably the dialects spoken on pre-Imperial Terra, Mars and Macragge**) are spoken by certain learned scholars, tech-preists (even if it might be a ritualized perversion of the original), and any Inquisitor, Arbitor, or Guard officer who picked up the right elective at the Schola Progenium.

*At least, I don't think the DAoT humans had a true centralized government in the same way as the Imperium - for all their technological marvels, they lacked two of the three pillars of Imperial interstellar cultural supremacy: the Cult Imperialis and the Astronomican. (The third being the Navigator Houses, which they did have.)
**Guilleman did hold the entire Imperium together through sheer force of will, after all. I imagine he spread more than just his geneseed all over the Imperium. The Schola Progenium, to my mind, seems quite reminiscent of the Macraggian Battle Schools...

Commander Ozae
23-10-2006, 00:07
The language certainly has changed and the accents would be hard to understand but it would be possible for communication if both sides were willing to do it. Also, as for tech, although they would be similar the guys from the DAoT would be incredibly more advanced and understand their technology far better.

By the way: where did you find this or did you make it up.

grimsnagga
23-10-2006, 00:21
*At least, I don't think the DAoT humans had a true centralized government in the same way as the Imperium - for all their technological marvels, they lacked two of the three pillars of Imperial interstellar cultural supremacy: the Cult Imperialis and the Astronomican. (The third being the Navigator Houses, which they did have.)

They would also have lacked astropaths, as it was the emergence of psykers that was one of the primary contributing factors to the downfall of the Age of Technology, plus no Soul-binding which empowers the astropaths. So they would have had no means of FTL communication other than courier ships. IMO, that is also a strong arguement against a true centralized government.

Not that someone might not have claimed to be the central government, but any practical authority would be even more limited that in the Imperium.

Ivan Stupidor
23-10-2006, 01:13
They would also have lacked astropaths, as it was the emergence of psykers that was one of the primary contributing factors to the downfall of the Age of Technology, plus no Soul-binding which empowers the astropaths. So they would have had no means of FTL communication other than courier ships. IMO, that is also a strong arguement against a true centralized government.

Ack, you're right. They lacked three of the four pillars of Imperial interstellar cultural supremacy.

Kage2020
23-10-2006, 01:24
Not sure if any of my comments will be any use, but what the heck! That's never stopped me before. ;)

...and each have a variation of the gellar field on space ships to protect them from demonic intrusions and such.
You don't need a Geller Field, or really a variation of such. A field of "Dameonic Protection", or area that is somewhat warded would be sufficient. There are numerous references to similar principles in the 'fluff', i.e. Eisenhorn, Ravenor, the Inquisition War, etc.

Of course, you could also draw inspiration from the background of Earthdawn, since you're ultimately describing a "caer".

Some tech are lost, but in general, they are living just like when they went into the vault.
Given the supposeldy dizzy heights of G/DAoT technology, such breakdowns are going to have to be very well targetted!

Recently however, one settler was send out to find a water chip that finally broke after tens of thousands of years of operation.
Water chip?

There are two rather obvious options here:

Vault to Imperial communications: Given enough samples of the language, one would imagine that the advanced computers (etc.) would be able to create an equivalent to the "Universal Translator" of Star Trek, the "Babel Fish" of the Hitchhiker's Guide, or whatever.
Imperial to Vault communications: While the common image is that the Imperium has poor computer technology, I would argue that they are still far, far in advance of the real world. So, chances are that they could do the linguistic tripping as above. Also, don't forget that they also have access to psykers (read: telepaths).

So, communications are not going to be a problem. Well, if it is decided that they're going to communicate at all. The common approach to the Imperium is that they're firmly of the "shoot now, shoot again later" persuasion.

How difference are the weapons from those age ( vault dwellers use them) is from current? Can I approximate a vault dwellers army using any army lists?
In wargame terms? Yes. Plausibly? Not on your nelly.

Ultimately, though, you're probably talking about wargame terms. In this case, consider the fact that the Eldar - a race that is far more advanced than the G/DAoT (despite what Dark Adeptus might try and state! ;) - are represented in the wargame. Technology discrepancy is not something that 40k models very well...

How long ago precisely was the dark age?
40k doesn't do very well with "precisely", at least most of the time. For an older timeline, see this (http://wiki.anargo-sector.net/index.php?title=WH40K_Timeline) link.

Out of interest. Who loves the fallout series here?
I've heard about it, but that's about all.

Kage

jma037
23-10-2006, 02:22
By the way: where did you find this or did you make it up.

I'm doing what GW had been doing for years. Taking exsisting stories and transporting it into the 40K universe. ;)

Thanks for the feed back so far. I love the fallout series RPGs. I think they are the greatest rpgs ever made. I'm sure a tons of gamers here will agree also. :)

The campaign terrain will be entirely in doors. It represents the various factions fighting in different areas of the vault between each other and against the vault dwellers. I'll be playing as the vault dwellers in limited point lists at some of the games fighting both sides, or protecting the objective. I guess i'll use a witch hunter list with heavy ST and SoB. The campaign will be using city fight rules with some custom stratgems and at the end of every game, the winner gets a special item.

Can I please have some suggestions for these special items?
I was thinking along the lines of say if the game takes place in the armoury of the vault the winner get a special weapon. Or say in the medical area the winner get something that let you ignore one wound..etc
I'm sure you guys can think of more innovative ideas...so please help! :p

Kage2020
23-10-2006, 03:06
Computer RPGs, I believe... ;)

Kage

Romanus
23-10-2006, 03:40

Probaly not. Even in a closed enviroment such as this the language of the people themselves would evolve and change over the coarse of the tem millenia of isolation, not to mention the evolution of language outside. In short, No.

Probably be alot more advanced then comtempory tech. Remember that the 41st millenium is pretty much a technolgical dark age where alot has been forgotten

3) How long ago precisely was the dark age? Somwhere around the early - mid 20th millenia, I think

4) Out of interest. Who loves the fallout series here? Never ever heard of it

Water Chips?
There sorta like water crackers that you use with cheese and wine :D

As to your ideas for specificate stratagems, have you tried looking at the campign rules in the back of the 4th ed book. just customise them to your needs.

Cheers, Rom