PDA

View Full Version : Hammerers vs Ironbreakers

Acolyte
23-10-2006, 15:16
I'm stuck between deciding if I should use a large unit of Hammerers or Ironbreakers with my Dwarf Lord/Thane. I'm leaning towards the Ironbreakers, namely because they've got a very nice 2+ save in CC, but the Great Weapons on the Hammerers is also a nice bonus for them. Plus, they're cheaper, and get Bodyguard and Stubborn.

Anyways, what do most people find better?

sever14
23-10-2006, 16:19
If your going for a defensive position with your lord, then go ironbreakers,
but i would give the hammerers a shield and then send them into combat with a pimped out lord for some nasty slice and dice.
I like hammerers better with lord for offensive potential, but thats just me.

ardude
23-10-2006, 18:12
take them both:P
your general in the hammerers and the iron breakers should be able to ahndel themself with a rune of battle

Atzcapotzalco
23-10-2006, 22:59
Ironbreakers. Your veteran units should be solid and reliable, and with their gromril armour they are. Hammerers are only cheaper if you neglect to get them shields, in which case with only a 5+ save they don't have nearly resilience resilience. Likewise they can't use their great weapons without sacrificing anything even close to a respectable armour save.

Jammybee
24-10-2006, 04:47
I prefer hammerers for a lord, For the same points you can choose to have a 3+ save with shield or use a GW, also stubborn with LD10 rocks and immune to fear/terror. I do like Ironbreakers , they just seem to attract alot of cannons/rocks/bolts which makes their improved save worthless (invest in the missile ward save banner if you find this :).

Finn Sourscowl
24-10-2006, 11:33
I'd go with Ardude's suggestion. Hammerers with shields are very good with a Lord attached. They're reasonably good defensively, but very good offensively. Ironbreakers are great by themeselves to halt an enemy charge with the 2+ AS. They aren't anything like as good on the offensive, however.

At the end of the day, go with whichever you like the most :)

WLBjork
24-10-2006, 12:12
Hammerers are definately better. They'll hang around when the Ironbreakers will be running, and believe me, there is nothing more irritating than seeing a Lord who is hard to kill in combat getting run down.

Even opting to use GW against cav. charges I find that Hammerers with a Lord tend to do better than the Ironbreakers as the Hammerers will normally get 4-5 kills off (based on my normal Lord with GW, MR Kragg and 2*Rune of Fury plus a Champion), which gives me more of an advantage in future rounds.

Stouty
24-10-2006, 12:31
Hammerers are my personal favourite. Nothing makes me happier than a stubborn dwarf, they will hold forever if they're near the battle standard as well. Seriously you have to kill every last one of them which surely makes them more survivable than ironbreakers. It's a shame but it's true.

Or take longbeards and fill the special choices with artillary :D

Acolyte
24-10-2006, 13:02
Alright, it looks like I'll take Hammerers as the guard for my Lord. Since I only plan on bringing 3 big blocks of choppy units because I want to be shooting heavy (2 24-man Warriors and a guard for my Lord), how many Hammerers would you recommend taking? I was thinking 24-man with full Command and the Lord on an Oath Stone.

Note: my final army plan is 24-man blocks of Warriors, a 24-man block of Hammerers, 2 10-man Thunderers, 1 10-man Quarrelers, 2 Cannons, 1 Organ Gun, 1 Lord, 1 BSB and 1 Runesmith.

2_heads_talking
24-10-2006, 21:47
Alright, it looks like I'll take Hammerers as the guard for my Lord. Since I only plan on bringing 3 big blocks of choppy units because I want to be shooting heavy (2 24-man Warriors and a guard for my Lord), how many Hammerers would you recommend taking? I was thinking 24-man with full Command and the Lord on an Oath Stone.

Note: my final army plan is 24-man blocks of Warriors, a 24-man block of Hammerers, 2 10-man Thunderers, 1 10-man Quarrelers, 2 Cannons, 1 Organ Gun, 1 Lord, 1 BSB and 1 Runesmith.

Can I ask what point size that army is?

Acolyte
24-10-2006, 21:51
2000 points. I've got a list here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53893), although I had to drop the unit sizes to fit in some Warmachines.

Tutore
25-10-2006, 07:25
My favourite solution would be Hammerers. Their stubborn ability is something worth it, and they kill enemies with their great weapons.

Danger Rat
31-10-2006, 08:19
I would take the hammerers if your planning to be offensive but make sure you give them shields.

SON OF LION
31-10-2006, 08:31
I'll be the exception and say Ironbreakers.

I love the models more. Also, if you're able to get the old metal Longbeards then you will already have a unit with great weapons anyway.

Besides, WS 5, S4 still hits hard.

Danger Rat
31-10-2006, 09:42
Ironbreakers are great in my combat dwarf army i run a unit of hammerers and ironbreakers as they are both great units but do slightly different jobs

(WS 5, S4 still hits hard) it does but WS5 S6 hits even harder.

I agree with you on the look of the models if was purely a choice based on how they looked the ironbreakers would win every time.