PDA

View Full Version : Complete o@g noob looking for advice.

foil7102
23-10-2006, 17:53
10/22/2006 5:45 PM Alert
My wife is starting warhammer fantasy and is enamored with orc and goblins specifically wyrvens, and spider riders. We're trying to put an army together including these and using as many models as we can from the Skull Pass box set (traded the dwarves for more Gobbos).

Finally is a list we've come up with but believe me when I say we have very limited expereince with fanatsy.

Lords:

Orc War Boss with Um Best Boss At, Mortag's Best Bashas and Iron Gnashas mounted on Wyrven

Orc Shaman with 2 dispel scrolls

Nigh Goblin Shaman with Mad cap mushrooms, dispel scroll

Night Goblin Shaman with Nibbla's Itty ring, mad cap mushrooms and a magic mushroom

Core Units:

20 Orc Boyz with choppa and shield, full command

2 units of 20 Night Goblin Archers with musician and standard

2 units of Night Goblins with spear and shield, full command, netters and 3 Night Goblin Fanatics

1 unit of Night Goblins with spear and shield, full command and 3 Night Goblin Fanatics

2 units of 10 of Spider Riders with muscian and standard

Special Units:

1 unit of 7 squig hoppers

4 Goblin Spear Chukkas with bully

Rare Units:

1 Giant

1 Snotling pump wagon

Should come to 2250 exactly. So tell me what you think. What changes would you suggest?

woytek
23-10-2006, 18:27
10/22/2006 5:45 PM Alert
My wife is starting warhammer fantasy and is enamored with orc and goblins specifically wyrvens, and spider riders. We're trying to put an army together including these and using as many models as we can from the Skull Pass box set (traded the dwarves for more Gobbos).

Finally is a list we've come up with but believe me when I say we have very limited expereince with fanatsy.

Lords:

Orc War Boss with Um Best Boss At, Mortag's Best Bashas and Iron Gnashas mounted on Wyrven
that's looking nice, just watch out for artillery
Orc Shaman with 2 dispel scrolls

Nigh Goblin Shaman with Mad cap mushrooms, dispel scroll

Night Goblin Shaman with Nibbla's Itty ring, mad cap mushrooms and a magic mushroom
bit heavy on the magic, I would suggest taking a battle standard bearer. This is just a orc big boss (no matter what kind) who carries a banner. He may take a magic banner or magic items, no mundane items. Units within 12" may re-roll break tests which can be very nice for keeping your troops together. He also adds an additional +1 combat resolution.
Core Units:

20 Orc Boyz with choppa and shield, full command
orcs are best taken with atleast 24, and preferably 30, this makes them outnumber and able to take some casualties before they lose their rank bonus.
2 units of 20 Night Goblin Archers with musician and standard
archers are not that effective in an O&G army, but I understand you want to take them because you have the models. Please don't put any banner in there though.
2 units of Night Goblins with spear and shield, full command, netters and 3 Night Goblin Fanatics
I don't know how many but should be atleast 30, some people say 35 and 40 even. 3 fanatics may be a little much, but that's everyone's discision.
1 unit of Night Goblins with spear and shield, full command and 3 Night Goblin Fanatics
same as above, goblins need numbers! :D
2 units of 10 of Spider Riders with muscian and standard
Well this one is hard. In units of five I think they will be most effective, but if you really want to use them to win fights you need the banner. In small units they most deffinately don't need a banner, just a musician
Special Units:

1 unit of 7 squig hoppers
bit random but loads of fun and strong too
4 Goblin Spear Chukkas with bully
good, though I don't usually take bullies since I don't see their uses
Rare Units:

1 Giant
always heaps of fun together with some nice damage
1 Snotling pump wagon
bit random but some find it a no-brainer
Should come to 2250 exactly. So tell me what you think. What changes would you suggest?
suggestions in red

I like orcs, so I would suggest more orcs but that's just me. There are coming new plastic black orcs, so maybe that's something?

foil7102
24-10-2006, 03:38
Thanks for the help, will start trimming and adding more orcs. Also, like the idea about the BSB. The Goblin units are 20 Gobbos each. Am I missing something? Everyone seems to be recommending 30 size units of Gobbos, but you max out rank bonus with 20. Are the 10 more really that helpful?

woytek
24-10-2006, 08:46
Thanks for the help, will start trimming and adding more orcs. Also, like the idea about the BSB. The Goblin units are 20 Gobbos each. Am I missing something? Everyone seems to be recommending 30 size units of Gobbos, but you max out rank bonus with 20. Are the 10 more really that helpful?

Well the Orcs and goblins are a horde army, with low saves. That means that you will easily lose a few models in a unit, but you need the outnumber bonus! Orcs are cheap so taking them in units of 24 allows you to either 1)maximise your frontage to 6 models wide and 4 deep or 2)deploy them with an extra rank 5 wide and 5 deep so you can take some casualties, you will need 25 orcs for this though.

Orcs are still pretty tough with toughness 4, but goblins don't have that because they're sneaky. They need numbers even more then orcs do so most people field them in units of 30 as a minimum. Don't pay attention to what is in the box of skull pass, just make the units how you need them. Units of 20 night goblins won't work.

A unit of 20 archers is ok, but remember a banner is only something you want to give your units that must win combats. The archer unit is weak and therefore you should never give them a banner. Same counts for fast cavalry units that help you guard the flanks. A banner is 100 free victory points for the enemy in that unit.

For units as orc big'uns and black orcs it might be a little different. Those units can give you that fighting power you need, and black orcs can even get a nice save. However these will be almost twice as expensive as normal orcs. So taking them in units of 24 is good, but expensive. Some people choose to take these in units of 15 for support and I myself can see their uses as a 'main stay' unit. That means that because they're so hard if you take enough of them they will make you a good and reliable base for you main blocks. Black orcs also don't have to test for animosity and have a few other advantages. Then placing your general and BSB in orc units makes those very reliable as well. You would do good to read the 'orcs and goblins tactica' thread! :D