PDA

View Full Version : New Fanatic question.

foil7102
23-10-2006, 18:54
I was walking through how fanatics work and ran into something strange.

A lance of knights declare a charge on a unit of night goblins and stop 8 inches away.

The fanatic pops out of the unit and only rolls a 2 for distance.

According to the rules the knights must complete their charge, and end it in base to base of the night gobbos and right on top of the fanatic.

What happens to the fanatic? Does he pop out the other side, or cause 2d6 hits and die?

NakedFisherman
23-10-2006, 18:55
What happens to the fanatic? Does he pop out the other side, or cause 2d6 hits and die?

The latter.

foil7102
23-10-2006, 19:27
Nasty, you would almost want very low distance rolls against some units.

T10
24-10-2006, 05:21
From what I can recall, NF is right. The Fanatic will "pop through" if his movement ends in the middle of a unit. However, units can destroy Fanatics by stopping on top of them. I recall no requirement that this move should be voluntary (as opposed to compulsory).

-T10

woytek
24-10-2006, 07:24
I was thinking about the exact same thing, two well placed fanatics can almost remove like two ranks :|

One more question though, the fanatics damage would be dealt with first right? Well what if the unit stops on the fanatics, and thus stands into combat. If they would remove two ranks of squishy humans, the hummies should take a panic test. But units in close combat don't have to take a panic test... If the fanatics would cause the humans to lose their rank bonus, would this count as being before they got into close combat (so keep the bonus), or would they still get their ranks?

WLBjork
24-10-2006, 07:41
It happens before combat - the casualties from Fanactics should be worked out when the unit contacts the Fanatics. Hence it is possible for the unit to panic, as they are not in combat at that point in time.

Avian
24-10-2006, 08:27
Almost, the unit would first take 1D6 hits as they move into contact with the Fanatic. As they are not in combat at that point, this may cause a Panic test.

Then, when their movement ends in contact with the gobbos, they take a further D6 hits (which kills the Fanatic). These hits can not cause Panic, as the unit is now in combat.

It's important to do these things in order.

Mephistofeles
24-10-2006, 12:15
So they have to take the further 1D6 hits from the Fanatic? Isn't that voluntary?

What I mean is, if a unit makes contact with a fanatic, they take 1D6 hits. Then they can choose to kill it, thus taking a further 1D6 hits in order to do so, but they can also choose not to, and just let the fanatic pop out on their other side, right?

T10
24-10-2006, 14:01
Any unit that finishes its move over the Fanatic takes an additional 1d6 S5 hits and kills the fanatic. The unit has no choice in the matter.

This is obviously a job for Etheral creatures.

-T10

Mephistofeles
24-10-2006, 14:04
Oh, but doesn't the unit get to choose that if the fanatic moves into them too?

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2006, 15:54
Almost, the unit would first take 1D6 hits as they move into contact with the Fanatic. As they are not in combat at that point, this may cause a Panic test.

Then, when their movement ends in contact with the gobbos, they take a further D6 hits (which kills the Fanatic). These hits cannot cause Panic, as the unit is now in combat.

It's important to do these things in order.

Pg 25 Release Fanatics: "Chargers must complete their move unless panicked"

So the chargers must over the the fanatic.

pg25 Splat: "A unit that suffers 25% casualties from Fanatics must immediately take a Panic test."

Chargers could panic from fanatical attacks.

Pg25 Out of control: "any unit that finishes its move over the Fanatic takes D6S5 for moving into the fanatic and a further D6S5 hits in the Fanatic's death throes."

The second D6 roll it seems is just an explanation of why it is taken - because the fanatic dies. There is no clear indication that the 2 dice rolls are not simultaneous. If one roll succeeds the other than the word 'after' would have been used. There are 2 different causes for each D6 but no stipulation that one roll precedes the other.

An interpretation that the chargers take 2D6S5 hits before engaging the charged unit is equally valid. The chargers could panic after the second D6 roll as the fanatic is dying in their midst. Chargers cannot reach the charged unit until they have passed the dying Fanatic and therefore could panic.

Another difficult situation I've encountered before, involving Fanatics:

The charged unit flees and the flee roll is insufficient to escape from the charger:
Q1 If the fanatic panics the chargers, will the fleers then escape since they have not physically been caught.

T10
24-10-2006, 16:07
Wrong quote:

Pg 25 Release Fanatics: "Chargers must complete their move unless panicked"

So the chargers must over the the fanatic.

Intended quote:

pg25 Splat: "A unit that suffers 25% casualties from Fanatics must immediately take a Panic test."

Chargers could panic from fanatical attacks.

No. If the chargers are hit by the fanatic then it will move through the unit.

Admittedly, the situation might occur where a Fanatic is released, hits a charging unit, moves through it and ends up in it's charge path, potentially inflicting first a 1d6 hits for hitting the unit, 1d6 hits for the chargers moving through it and 1d6 for chargers stopping over it.

-T10

woytek
24-10-2006, 18:24
No. If the chargers are hit by the fanatic then it will move through the unit.

-T10

I don't understand what you are saying... It will only move through if the fanatic hits the unit, but if the unit hits the fanatic it isn't like that.

I say DeathlessDraich is right, where the fanatics didn't make it to the unit, thus the unit finishes it's move over the fanatics. The 2D6 is rolled simultaniously since the move in total finishes over the fanatics. If the unit should panic they won't charge. I will hope for my fanatics to not reach the unit from now on :D

Festus
24-10-2006, 18:47
Hi
I don't understand what you are saying... It will only move through if the fanatic hits the unit, but if the unit hits the fanatic it isn't like that.

He is using the passive voice, see:

If the chargers (subject) are hit (main verb/predicate in the passive) by the fanatic (by-agent) ...

is identical to:

If the fanatic (subject) hits (main verb/predicate in the active) the chargers (object)...

In this case, the fanatic will indeed travel trough the unit...

woytek
24-10-2006, 21:10
Hi
He is using the passive voice, see:

If the chargers (subject) are hit (main verb/predicate in the passive) by the fanatic (by-agent) ...

is identical to:

If the fanatic (subject) hits (main verb/predicate in the active) the chargers (object)...

In this case, the fanatic will indeed travel trough the unit...

ehhh... I mean his response is a bit unlogical for what he quoted

Crazy Harborc
25-10-2006, 00:16
Um....if the NG player rolled too low of numbers to reach the unit, the fanatic stopped moving short of contact. The unit moved into/onto the fanatic because they/it was required to complete the charge move. The charging unit made the contact occur, not the fanatic.

It worked out that way Sunday. My fanatic DID NOT pay for itself:(

woytek
25-10-2006, 07:17
Um....if the NG player rolled too low of numbers to reach the unit, the fanatic stopped moving short of contact. The unit moved into/onto the fanatic because they/it was required to complete the charge move. The charging unit made the contact occur, not the fanatic.

It worked out that way Sunday. My fanatic DID NOT pay for itself:(

Yes that's right. The fanatic is killed and the unit takes 2D6 hits.