PDA

View Full Version : Fun and/or drastic High Elf Changes

Ganymede
01-07-2005, 07:54
Here are some changes/addendums to the high elf armylist. These are some changes to basic rules and point values that seek to add some more fun and variety to high elf army design. Let me know what you think.

High Elf Unit Additions

Drake 180 Pts.

Rare

M WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Drake 6 4 - 5 4 4 3 4 7 4+
Unit Size: One Drake

Equipment: None

Special Rules: Fly, Terror, Large Target, Dragon Whelp, Rarity

Dragon Whelp Drakes have a strength 3 flaming breath weapon, but it is only usable once per game.

Rarity A drake cannot be taken in an army that does not include a general with the Dragon Rouse honor.

Lone Fang Bolt Thrower 50 Pts.

2 for 1 Rare

M WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Bolt Thrower 6 4 2
Crew 5 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8 6+

Unit Size: One bolt thrower and two crew with light armor.

Special Rules: Bolt Thrower, Light War Machine, Rarity

Bolt Thrower: Except where noted, the Lone Fang follows all of the rules for bolt throwers as detailed in the Warhammer Rulebook.

Light War Machine: Light War Machines may make march moves as if it were a normal unit. Additionally, whenever the crew of a light war machine flees for any reason, they will take the machine with them in their retreat.

Rarity: A Lone Fang bolt thrower may be taken as a two-for-one special slot in an army that includes a character with the Seafarer honor.

High Elf Revised Honors

Pure of Heart: If the character with this honor is also the general, then he is immune to the Intrigue at Court special rule. He, and the unit he is in, is also immune to panic. When fighting against Dark Elves, both the honored character and the unit he is in may reroll all failed psycology tests. 25 points

Seafarer: A character with this honor receives a longbow for free. The honored character also allows the purchase of Lone Fang bolt throwers as a two-for-one special slot. Additionally, if the honored character is the army general, Lothern Seaguard lose their 0-1 restriction and gain the First Among Equals special rule. 25 points

Swordmaster: A character with this honor receives a free greatweapon and the ability to strike with it in initiative order as opposed to striking last. The honored character also gains the Killing Blow special rule. Additionally, if the honored character is the army general, Swordmasters lose their 0-1 restriction. Characters with this honor may not purchase a mount or magical weapon. 45 points

Phoenix Guard: A character with this honor causes fear and gains a 5+ ward save. Additionally, if the honored character is the army general, Phoenix Guard lose their 0-1 restriction. 40 points

Lion Guard: A character with this honor receives a bonus of +1 to his strength as well as a free greatweapon and lion pelt. Additionally, if the honored character is the army general, the restriction on White Lions is raised to 0-2. Characters with this honor may not purchase a mount or a magical weapon. 25 points

Dragon Rouse: Hero level characters with this honor may be mounted on a drake (180 pts.) and lord level characters may be mounted on either a drake (180 pts.) or a dragon (300 pts.). Drake-mounted heroes and Dragon-mounted lords take up an additional hero slot. Additionally, if the honored character is the army general, unridden Drakes may be purchased as a rare slot for 180 points. 20 points

High Elf Special Rule Changes and Additions

Intrigue at Court: During deployment, right before characters are placed, the army general must make a leadership test. If the test is passed, play continues as normal. If the test is failed, one of the other characters in the high elf army must be selected at random to be the acting general for the remainder of the battle. The acting general incurs all of the bonuses and penalties a general would normally have. Any benefits gained from honors remain unchanged. When fighting against Dark Elves, this rule is ignored.

Citizen Levy: Elves armed with spears may fight with an additional rank. Elves armed with bows may fire with an additional rank.

Guardian Phoenix: A unit with this special ability gains a 5+ ward save.

High Elf Unit Entry Changes

Archers: Model cost reduced by 1 point. Standard cost reduced by 2 points. Musician cost reduced by 1 point. Champion cost reduced by 7 points.

Lothern Seaguard: Model cost reduced by 1 point. Standard reduced by 2 points. Musician reduced by 1 point. Champion reduced by 2 points.

Silver Helms: Model cost increased by 1 point. Shield included for free. Barding removed and may be purchased again for 2 points.

Spear Elves: Model cost reduced by 1 point. Standard reduced by 2 points. Musician reduced by 2 points. Champion reduced by 2 points.

Ellyrian Reavers: Champion reduced by 7 points. Spear swapped for bow reduced by 2 points. Bow reduced by 2 points.

Shadow Warriors: Model cost reduced by 1 point. Champion reduced by 8 points. Longbow reduced to normal bow. Light armor removed and may be purchased again for 1 point.

Tiranoc Chariot: Model cost reduced by 5 points.

Phoenix Guard: Unit gains the Guardian Phoenix special rule.

White Lions: Unit is always stubborn.

Elf Prince: Loses option for a dragon mount. Longbow cost reduced by 5 points.

High Elf Magic Item Changes

Biting Blade: +5 points

Sword of Might: +5 points

Sword of Battle: +5 points

Blade of Sea Gold: +5 points

Reaver Bow: -5 points

Blade of Darting Steel: +5 points

Bow of the Seafarer: +5 points

Helm of Fortune: +5 points

Sacred Incense: -5 points

Vambraces of Defense: +5 points

Amulet of Purifying Flame: +5 points

Ring of Fury: +5 points

Cloak of Beards: -5 points

Ring of Corin: +5 points

Healing Potion: -10 points

Null Stone: -15 points

Jewel of the Dusk: +5 points

Annulian Crystal: +10 points

Banner of Ellyrion: +5 points

War Banner: +5 points

Battle Banner: +20 points

High Elf Magic Changes

Fortune is Fickle: 7+ to cast, RiP. Whenever a spell cast by an enemy spellcaster targets a unit or location within 6 of the high elf wizard, that spell is miscast if any of the dice rolled during the attempt are doubles.

StugMeister
01-07-2005, 08:13
Interesting. I do like the Bolt Thrower idea and also the Drake. They sound fair enough to me.

Not too keen on the Light War Machine rule - is this actually a new 'made up' rule or is it in use in the other Warhammer armies?

Ganymede
01-07-2005, 08:48
Interesting. I do like the Bolt Thrower idea and also the Drake. They sound fair enough to me.

Not too keen on the Light War Machine rule - is this actually a new 'made up' rule or is it in use in the other Warhammer armies?

It is half made up, and half pirated directly from the galloper gun rules. Basically, I polished it up and made it work trans-army.

Findo
01-07-2005, 09:27
I only liked the drakes and honours things, but i HATED the changes made to the magic items. High elves are supposed to have cheaper magic items then other races, they have a discount, but instead their princes cost more than others would with their statline...

If you want coments you should post it at http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/portal.php instead...

Odin
01-07-2005, 12:47
Reaver Bow 5 points cheaper?! You must be joking.

Weren't there rules for Drakes in White Dwarf a year or so ago? - for the War of the Beard stuff. Probably best to modify those rules instead.

Lion Guard honour shouldn't give +1 Strength - whoever heard of a S5 elf! Normal White Lions are already amongst the strongest elves around - elves just don't get any stronger than that (unless they sell their sould to chaos obviously!).

I have to say, I have used High Elves on several occasions, and haven't really seen any need to make major changes. Sure, they could use a few tweaks next time GW re-do the book, but then so could everyone.

Ganymede
01-07-2005, 18:41
I only liked the drakes and honours things, but i HATED the changes made to the magic items. High elves are supposed to have cheaper magic items then other races, they have a discount, but instead their princes cost more than others would with their statline...

If you want coments you should post it at http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/portal.php instead...

Many magical items still remain cheaper than their "other armybook" counterparts. I, for one, have always thougt that the magic item discount was a bit absurd. There are people who prefer not to use magical items in their armies, and if the cheaper magical items was the designers way of making these elves a balanced race, then such people are screwed. A deduction of points for infantry combined with an increase of magical item points efectively ballances iself out. Except now, one does not have to max out on magical items in order to gain an inherent high elf advantage.

Ganymede
01-07-2005, 18:52
Reaver Bow 5 points cheaper?! You must be joking.

Is there some sort of killer magical item conbination that can be achieved with a reaver bow plus five extra points that I missed? One could call this weapon an equivalent to a completely self contained bound spell. I see it fair to be 30 points. Would you care to share why you think it is crazy for this item to be reduced in price?

Weren't there rules for Drakes in White Dwarf a year or so ago? - for the War of the Beard stuff. Probably best to modify those rules instead.

I think I'll pass on that big sack of themed gaming right there. The WoB is better left untouched. But in either case, both the drakes in this list and the rakes in WoB are similar creatures. There is only so much difference one can draw between medium strength, mounted large targets.

Lion Guard honour shouldn't give +1 Strength - whoever heard of a S5 elf! Normal White Lions are already amongst the strongest elves around - elves just don't get any stronger than that (unless they sell their sould to chaos obviously!).

Well... I figured that since white lion troopers recieved +1 to their strength, that white lion characters would as well. It forms kind of a unique bonus, something special for the white lion honored characters.

lol, and it might mitigate the purchace of armor of gods in every single army i see.

I have to say, I have used High Elves on several occasions, and haven't really seen any need to make major changes. Sure, they could use a few tweaks next time GW re-do the book, but then so could everyone.

Fair enough, but what is your point here? These changes are intended to be for fun, not to correct some egregious imbalance in the book; that's GW's job.

Odin
02-07-2005, 12:27
Is there some sort of killer magical item conbination that can be achieved with a reaver bow plus five extra points that I missed? One could call this weapon an equivalent to a completely self contained bound spell. I see it fair to be 30 points. Would you care to share why you think it is crazy for this item to be reduced in price?

No, it's just rather underpriced already.

Fair enough, but what is your point here? These changes are intended to be for fun, not to correct some egregious imbalance in the book; that's GW's job.

Fair enough. Though I would say that the new troops ideas are a lot more "fun" than tweaking unit costs. ;)