PDA

View Full Version : Skaven....... In space!-Threadomanced-CLOSED

Artemis_Quinn
02-04-2005, 02:07
Recently I have decided to do a LATD army based around bringing skaven into 40K. I just wanted to inquire as to what the portent community thought of the idea.

The army list looks like this (as far as models and substitutions are concerned):

HQ
Greater Deamon: Vermin Lord using either nurgle or khorne stats (can't decide)
Aspiring Champions: Chaos heros fitted with skaven heads instead of their usual ones (currently i've got a really cool one made from crom :D)
Chaos Sorcerer: Greyseer

Elites
Big Mutants: Rat ogres (converted to be extremely mutated looking probably)

Troops
Mutants: Nightrunners converted to have mutations of all sorts and many different poses, and I'll probably order various guns and strap them to their backs.
Traitors: Plague monks (to ashamed of the abominations they've become)
Gibbering hordes: Rat Swarms

Fast Attack:
Chaos hounds: Currently I'm looking for some horse sized rats to fit this slot, if you know of any please mention it (hopefully a link to it as well :D)
Sentinels: I'm considering using a screaming bell frame with a plague monk sitting on top with added guns and other conversions for these though i'm not sure.
Rough Riders: Just considering them now but they would be clanrats on the models used as chaos hounds.

Heavy Support:
Defiler: Regular Defiler except converted to look like a rat rather than the crab that it looks like now.
Lemon Russ/Basalisk Tanks: Pretty much a regular tank of its kind except with a warp lightning cannon sitting on top instead of the regular turret.

I hope it's skaveny enough.

Anyways I was considering a backstory something like this:

Once upon a time an eccentric Grey Seer got the idea that maybe the skaven of clan skaab even though not strong enough to conquer this world might have a chance at conquering another. So he set his best engineers to work to craft a space craft of some sort. Well, many years passed before the engineers finally found a way that they could move thier entire clan away from the old world. They had devised rocket-like engines fueled by everyone's favorite substance, warpstone. And had been secretive for months, not even disclosing the plan to the great council in fear that they would try to impede their progress. The last step was to seal off all of the tunnels to the main chamber, because the engineers had designed their craft in such a way that a whole chunk of the old world would fly into space, allowing all of the skaven of clan skaab to keep their current dens. So the day had finally come, the beginning of the Skaven millenium marked the day that these rat-men would experience space. Unfortunately, even after all of this time the skaven had not found any good way to plot a course, or even control their craft for that matter, though they had managed to get the engines strong enough for this day so they went for it. Liftoff! The craft suddenly sepparated itself from the old world (with Nuln sitting right on top no less!). The skaven excreted the musk of fear, the engineers waited patiently to see if the craft would actually succeed, the Grey seer was sleeping, the people of Nuln were holding on for dear life. Finally, they left the old world's atmosphere and the skaven cheered and the engineers exalted in their accomplishment, and the grey seer still slept, and the people of Nuln became space rubbish. But before they could enjoy their victory things went wrong, as they often do with skaven. The craft, Being as large as it was and having no manueverability slammed right into the throwing rat men everywhere, and squashing any Nuln people still on the surface of the mass. Though due to this "crash" the warpstone supplies were thrown all throughout the great ball of the old world. Creating a warpstone gas inside the chamber. And some of the coldness of space was let in, intombing all of clan skaab in a stasis-like state, except that the warpstone allowed for mutation still. So the great ball of the old world drifted through space. Approximately 40 thousand years later the skaven awoke from their induced slumber after the mass landed on a planet that would not normally support life, but these rats had breathed in the mutating normally toxic fumes of warpstone for years, they could accept nearly any atmosphere now. They were tougher and could attack more ferociously. Though only those representatives of clan eshin (being used to all forms of poison), all of clan pestilens (being used to plague and disease), the monstrocities of clan moulder (warpstone being the way they were what they were when they went into orbit), and a few of the engineers of clan skyre (working with warpstone and ways to harness it being thier life) survived. And last, the only representative of clan Skaab still living was the grey seer, often using the warpstone to enhance his sorceries. After a while they found new supplies of warpstone on this strange new planet. And having been mutated by the warpstone physically they were also mutated mentally, coming up with tons of variant weapons. Then the grey seer summoned the vermin lord (sacrificing one of his champions in the ritual), with his guidance they have become the chosen of the horned rat (mainly since no other skaven survived to see 40 thousand years later, but regardless they are still his chosen, and reside in the eye of Terror on a small planet that supports them well enough, untill they amass too many then they attempt to take over other planets and usually fail.

Sorry for how sloppy my story is, but it gets the point across how the Skaven made it into the 40K scene

So, what do you think? of the list? of the story? of any of it?

Your replies are appreciated

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-04-2005, 03:12
There's already skaven in 40k, they're called Hrud, GW are either not making a codex or are planning on doing one.

Artemis_Quinn
02-04-2005, 03:17
what does Hrud stand for? How come i've never heard of them?

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-04-2005, 03:21
What do you mean what does Hrud stand for?

You haven't heard of them because this is the new, temporary portent and not enough people are coming on so no one has asked any questions yet that involve Hrud.

Hrud are in the 3rd ed BBR, I dunno about 4th ed though.

Typheron
02-04-2005, 11:12
The Hurd are a pre-game race of GWs, they are one of the concept races that may or may not make it into the game with the only major image of them being in the 3rd ed rulebook under other alien races, theres a necron, the clawed fiend of the dominican sector and a few other odd races on that page.

Basically the Hurd are short cloak wearing beings that may be one of 2 things, either a new incarnation of a certain very short race who got eaten (although they have nothign whatsoever to do with the origionals) or a version of skaven in space.

GW have a lot of these prot-races on the back burner for when they think ssomething new should be added, thats where the Tau came from.

As for your army list thing it looks fine and is probably the best way of getting
skaven into 40k for some time as the Hurd are not actually skaven in space.

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-04-2005, 13:53
They are the 40k equivelant skaven, NOT whats left of squats!

Strikerkc
02-04-2005, 17:49
Only issue I see with your proposed list is that your after having 3 HQ's. Other than that, It's the best way to do skaven in 40K. Looks like it'll do the job well :).

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-04-2005, 18:14
Lots of army lists have 3 HQ's!

And besides, it's a bad list, Big mutants? What in hell are those?!

worldshatterer
02-04-2005, 18:25
Hrud stands for Humanoid Ratlike Underground Dweller . I have vague memories of them taking a serious hammering in the great crusade, and they use warp plasma weaponry .

The list is Lost And The Damned from codex eye of terror. big mutants are just slightly altered ogryns ruleswise , and he can have up to 6 hq choices as the list lets you take multiple aspiring champions as a single HQ choice, the sorcerer can be an aspiring champion with the mark of tzeentch .

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-04-2005, 18:28
Oh no, now I have this feeling, must... show.... noobs.... must.... design.... Hrud list.....

Dang, I'm already trying to do a Demiurg and my own Anakon list now I'm doing Hrud?!

Damn you brain, damn you.

Typheron
03-04-2005, 12:36
Demiurg are the possable short stunty race right?

my uni studies must be pushing out all the important 40k trivia...

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2005, 17:53
Ya, Demiurg are what's left of the Squats, Hrud are Space Skaven.

malika
04-04-2005, 11:31
We used to have this whole big project on the Hrud on the old Portent, lots of ideas on background and all that, also check here, might give you some extra ideas: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,79673.0.html

worldshatterer
08-04-2005, 21:36
Don't normally find much mention of the Hrud these days , but i was browsing the Gw website when i found this gem......

during the Imperial Crusade to cleanse the Faseene system (592-602 M41) from the H'rud, an entire regiment of Kashann Xeno-riders served with the Imperial Guard Sixtieth Army. Faseene had three worlds in its biosphere, each of which was urbanised but in a state of ruined decay. One of the worlds, Talavar, was home to an enslaved human population and was the first targeted. Attempts to clear the ruins with infantry regiments were wholly unsuccessful. The H'rud, emerging from their warrens, conducted highly effective hit-and-run attacks, focused on destroying ammunition and fuel stockpiles. The preternatural speed of the H'rud defeated all attempts at pursuit until the Kashan were deployed. Using feral hunting techniques the bulk of the regiment closely pursued the H'rud while detached squadrons raced forward on the flanks to herd them together and finally encircle them. The raids were swiftly contained allowing the Sixtieth Army's infantry to concentrate on launching set-piece assaults on the H'rud warrens themselves.

comes from here

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/creature-feature/9/

Artemis_Quinn
08-04-2005, 22:26
Is there actually a Hrud list? Or even a descent one made by a fan? I've looked but haven't found anything, and the idea intrigues me, thanks.

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-04-2005, 22:47
No proper H'rud list yet, I'm thinking of doing one.

Shamfrit
30-12-2007, 16:31
The rise in popularity of Skaven surely must have caught GW's eye in recent years. If the Hrud were released, I would start playing 40k, no question, as I don't identify with a single army on the entire Roster, and I don't want to play Orcs/Orks in Fantasy AND 40k, don't see the point, and i'd waste half the world's amount of Green paint lol.

Bring the Hrud!

thechosenone
30-12-2007, 17:15
The rise in popularity of Skaven surely must have caught GW's eye in recent years. If the Hrud were released, I would start playing 40k, no question, as I don't identify with a single army on the entire Roster, and I don't want to play Orcs/Orks in Fantasy AND 40k, don't see the point, and i'd waste half the world's amount of Green paint lol.

Bring the Hrud!

Way to pull up a random thread from like two years ago. Sure a new race would be neat but asuming the Hrud are space skaven is not wise. I see your a fantasy player so you may want to read up on all the hrud stuff out there and see if you actually wanna play them. Read xenology and poke around on this forum. You'll find what your looking for and you'll find better hrud threads that aren't two years old

The Guy
30-12-2007, 17:30
I always thought the hrud were just rip offs of jawas....

Shamfrit
30-12-2007, 19:26
Way to pull up a random thread from like two years ago. Sure a new race would be neat but assuming the Hrud are space skaven is not wise. I see your a fantasy player so you may want to read up on all the hrud stuff out there and see if you actually wanna play them. Read xenology and poke around on this forum. You'll find what your looking for and you'll find better hrud threads that aren't two years old

Sorry lol, not long joined, thought I'd route out anything Skaven related (i'm not obsessed, honest :skull:) but I will definitely read up on them, if anything, it's grounds for research into a casual army made of customizations - I have always wanted to know what happens to Skaven in between the two games, guess this will shed some light on the matter.

t-tauri
30-12-2007, 20:20
Please don't bring back two year old threads with no-content additions. Please check the posting guidelines linked to in my signature. Thread closed.