PDA

View Full Version : Leviathan

Angus
24-10-2006, 18:42
What is the Leviathan? I have heard the IG using it some kind of command senter. Do you have any images? all info is welcome...

ArtificerArmour
24-10-2006, 18:55
It's a huge tank originally built by the squats. Carries loads of tanks and stuff. Search Wiki or google.

Mechanicus
24-10-2006, 19:00
It's a very large mobile command centre used by the Imperial Guard, constructed by the former Squat Homeworlds, (Which do still exist as far as I'm concerned. Well, exist in the sense of being destroyed by a Tyranid splinter fleet, not in terms of never having existed.) and each regiment has at least one, each of which can control the entire regiment. It's designed to hold the command staff as well.

Pics are here (http://www.netepic.org/GALLERY/view_album.php?set_albumName=album41).

Angus
24-10-2006, 19:15
It's a huge tank originally built by the squats. Carries loads of tanks and stuff. Search Wiki or google.

I have...

but i did'nt find much

ArtificerArmour
24-10-2006, 20:08
Well, one swift search on goolge:

http://groups.msn.com/TheImperialGuardDebriefingRoom/265thgurkhighlandrifles.msnw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicles_of_the_Imperium_(Warhammer_40,000)#Leviat han

http://forums.relicnews.com/archive/index.php/t-34627.html

manicmarine
24-10-2006, 22:49
In epic it was a very large comand tank with some troop carring ablily. smaller than the capatalis imprialise but armed with a huge cannon on the frount and las cannon turrets. I belive the squats used 3 variants of this the cyclops with a titan hunting cannon and a comand variant with a landing platform and a extra cannon... they are mentioned in codex imperial guard.

Puffin Magician
24-10-2006, 23:53
The Leviathan is used by the Imperial Army as a Regimental Command Vehicle, about as tall as a Warhound Titan and nearly twice as long. It is used to carry defensive troops to protect itself as well as disgorge them into combat zones [the non-HQ role]. They transport a full infantry company and are armed with a Doomsday Cannon, turret Battlecannon, and 6 defensive turrets mounting [presumably] twin Heavy Bolters and a Lascannon/Plasma Cannon in each.

Manicmarine is correct about variants - the Cyclops used a Leviathan hull and mounted a massive Hellfury Cannon to destroy shielded enemy titans, while the Colossus [which was not a command variant] mounted extra turrets, defensive weapons and missiles at the cost of no longer carrying infantry. It also had a landing platform to carry a Iron Eagle Gyrocopter that was used for scouting and artillery spotting.

Angus
25-10-2006, 19:28
thank you people!
but does Imperial forge worlds produce the Leviathan then?
(the squats are dead, right..., so they can't)

Axel
25-10-2006, 19:49
No info on that one. If STCs survived, the odd Forgeworld will surely have taken over from the Squats. Perhaps the infos have been reengineered by servicing Leviathans in IG regiments.

Angus
25-10-2006, 20:06
Talking common sense, the imperium must have BIG problems equiping all IG regiments with one or more Leviathan if they don't make new ones.

Karhedron
25-10-2006, 20:11
The Eot fluff mentioned the Cadian command having several Leviathans. Whilst not conclusive, this suggests that the Imperium can manufacture its own.

Oh and by the way, the Squats aren't dead. ;) They just held a huge lock-in before the Tyrannids arrived and have spent the last few centuries getting even more drunk than usual. They are currently waiting for Leman Russ to turn up with the Pizza. :D

2_heads_talking
25-10-2006, 20:53
Yeah, during the great battle with the Volskani versus the Cadians, the battle mentions instances of the Volskani leviathans bombarding the Cadian lines and Leviathan-to-Leviathan boarding actions. As such, I like to think that they can still be built.

lapis_lazuli
25-10-2006, 21:28
On page 13 of Codex: Witch Hunters there's what looks like a Leviathan variant (well, it's a big fortress on tracks). So I assume other military wings than the IG have them?

2_heads_talking
26-10-2006, 09:46
I'm sure that the Imperium has access to another great tracked beast that dwarfs the Leviathan, so it could be that that appears in the Witchhunters codex, but unfortunately the name totally escapes me...

Sai-Lauren
26-10-2006, 09:51
Oh and by the way, the Squats aren't dead. ;) They just held a huge lock-in before the Tyrannids arrived and have spent the last few centuries getting even more drunk than usual. They are currently waiting for Leman Russ to turn up with the Pizza. :D

It'd be Khan on his delivery bike, surely :D

Mechanicus
26-10-2006, 10:14
I'm sure that the Imperium has access to another great tracked beast that dwarfs the Leviathan, so it could be that that appears in the Witchhunters codex, but unfortunately the name totally escapes me... The Capitol Imperialis? It's the only other one I know of...

Angus
26-10-2006, 12:58
Found a pick of the epick Leviathan, i think...

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/6357/ImperialLeviathan.jpg

Dr.Chud
26-10-2006, 13:30
that pic looks like someone just converted a 1/35th scale Brit tank of some kind. Leviathans were larger than the standard superheavy tanks, but they werent anywhere near as big as that picture. Id say the footprint was slightly longer than 4 Lemans track to track in a box formation.

I dont remember it as being terribly great from a shooting capacity, or tremendously tough (compared to the stuff my orks could throw at it) but it could carry something ridiculous like 28 stands of infantry (~140 men) which was potentially nasty but I think all transported troops died if their conveyance was destroyed so probably not used much.

only played against guard once or twice and those folks went for titans instead of underwhelming stuff like the leviathan. I imagine it probably had some handy special rules to improve morale or something of nearby troops.

Mr Zephy
26-10-2006, 14:28
I remember a picture in a white dwarf once (many moons ago) that had what looked like a 40k scale leviathan with a drawbridge and a SM chappie on a bike riding out... no idea when though, probs before 200...

Atherakhia
26-10-2006, 14:35
In epic it was a very large comand tank with some troop carring ablily. smaller than the capatalis imprialise but armed with a huge cannon on the frount and las cannon turrets. I belive the squats used 3 variants of this the cyclops with a titan hunting cannon and a comand variant with a landing platform and a extra cannon... they are mentioned in codex imperial guard.

Aren't the Leviathan and Capitol Imperialis the same thing? They just renamed it after the IG started using it?

Mechanicus
26-10-2006, 14:37
Aren't the Leviathan and Capitol Imperialis the same thing? They just renamed it after the IG started using it?
Nope, they're different (http://www.netepic.org/GALLERY/view_album.php?set_albumName=album40). :)

2_heads_talking
26-10-2006, 14:39
Capitol Imperialis... that'll be the one, then. :)