PDA

View Full Version : A way to bring back Man O War?

MoonFever
24-10-2006, 20:49
Man O War died right when I gained interest. I Know the amount of cardboard is an issue holding up it's reprinting. But here's a thought:

1. Waemachine/Hordes uses cards with every model/unit. Shrink the ship cards to fit a ccg card sleeve. One can easily mark damage with a dry erase marker instead of using cardboard dmg markers. Put the ship profile on one side, put it's rules on the other.

2. For marking crew, leave a space to write them on the card. Plus, they could come out with counter sets for each fleet. I'd buy them, multiples for skaven, though they wouldn't be necessary. Obviously, this idea works, or Galeforce 9 would have stopped producing token sets for Warmachine.

Cardboard would be minimal, and ship cards wouldn.t take up half the table...

grave digger
25-10-2006, 04:19
Sounds like a plan MoonFever. I would love to see Man o' War come back in all it's glory. You idea for small cards and less markers could pull it off. Now how are we going to mark fire?

Diggs

PS: send it in to Specalist Games. At least the idea gets mentioned.

Dark Apostle197
25-10-2006, 04:40
You can mark fires by having markers like the fantasy ones. I think they have one for wall of fire, so use stuff like that.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
25-10-2006, 12:08
Pardon my ignorance, but I dont know what Man O' War really is except iv heard its like the equivilent of Battlefleet Gothic. Could someone enlighten me please ?

Jedi152
25-10-2006, 12:15
It's not really the equivalent. It's a lot simpler. Basically it's a warhammer naval game where you had cards for each ship - used to mark damage etc. Each ship was split up into up to 6 areas, and the d6 roll to hit corresponded to where you hit.

Excellent game, and quite quick to play.

leonmallett
25-10-2006, 12:19
Surely redoing the mechanics to remove printing components they would be reluctant to do would be better. BTW, I loved Man O War, particularly Dwarves and the DE Black Arks!

Sai-Lauren
25-10-2006, 12:30
Well, there was a plan to make it part of the Warmaster system.

Although that was many, many, many moons ago, so it's probably been canned.:(

Dodgy Ed
25-10-2006, 14:37
Y'know with a PC it real is very simple to play MoW without the cards at all, I've condensed my 1500 point dwarf fleet on to one A4 sheet of acetate(a similar result can be achieved by putting a paper printout into a poly sleeve), so by using OHP pens you can mark damage, fire, crew etc et voila more need for a second table to keep the fleet roster on

Anyone in Notts up for a game of MoW sometime?

MoonFever
25-10-2006, 20:51
I understand each individual can make it less card intensive themselves with their pc, but to make it more marketable, it has to be readily available in that format to the casual consumer. By mimicking Privateer Press's take on the stat card, it would dramatically cut the amount of cardboard, and counters.

In regards to fire, write an "F" on the area on fire...or it could be another token(s) included with the crew counters by faction. (they now produce counter sets for Cities of Death, and are releasing a counter set for WFB. Or they could outsource it to GF9, who already have the tech and rep for producing quality tokens freelance...no overhead cost)

Thanks Gravedigger for mentioning to SG...didn't think of that!

TKitch
26-10-2006, 02:08
make your own counters?

http://www.scotgold.com/acatalog/ScotGold_Catalogue_Off_the_shelf_PC_badges_8.html

the clear domes are all kinds of sweet! (They used to be cheaper from him, though, oh well!)

grimgorkgalle
26-10-2006, 14:10
Another idea:

Remember the game "Mastermind"? The one with these little coloured pins that were sticked into 4 holes to guess the oppents colour-combination?

Now imagine MoW-Cards providing such holes to stick little pins (maybe in form of a flame) for fire, crew and damaged sections. This means just 3 differnet coloured pins.
For any other counters, this will hardly work, I know.

Vladimir Deathblade
31-01-2007, 20:28
I know that game! My Grandpsarents have it kicking around somewhere.

I must admit, it has always taken my fancy. It's just getting hold of sstuff. Though I havn't tryed ebay yet. infact, I'll go do that now!

the1stpip
23-02-2007, 20:07
@Dodgy Ed

Next time I go down to Nottingham for a GCN meeting, I will give you an email.

Can you get up to Lincoln at all, especially on a Thursday evening..?

Voronwe[MQ]
23-02-2007, 20:45
Hm, if Man O' War returns, I'll be a happy chap, especially if there'll be new models accompanying it. I'd love to get a Dwarf steamboat fleet.

Voronwe