PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch Hordes of Chaos Lord Choice

MikeH
24-10-2006, 22:05
All I can say is that I have found it damn near impossible to make a cheap Tzeentch Lord. Thus, I stopped trying- My currenty lord is as follows:

My Lord is modelled as follows: The Slaaneshi Lord from the waist up, all Slaanesh icons and the cone sticking from its chest filed away, its right arm replaced with the Tzeentch Lord model's burning Halberd thrust foward like a lance, a Shield with the Mark of Tzeentch on the other arm. His legs are those of a Cold one Rider if you look close, all mounted on the Champion's steed from a Knights of Chaos box set. His armor is a Turquiose color, slightly eroded with bronze with darker blue highlights.

Lord of Chaos
-"Sword" of Might
-Chaos Rune Shield
-Spell Familiar
-Barded Chaos Steed
-mark of tzeentch

this comes to a wopping total of 451pts if i'm not mistaken. Its the best I think I can do, but I like feed back

Neknoh
24-10-2006, 22:16
Give him a Spell Familliar, a Hallberd, a Shield and the Armour of Damnation, that's 45 pts of Magic Items and he is still enough of a combat monster (with a 5 om 6 chance of getting Orange Fire), he will be a nightmare to your opponents

MikeH
24-10-2006, 22:28
The halberd and shield do not stack...

der_lex
24-10-2006, 22:54
They won't need to. If your enemy is allowed to hit back, you've done something wrong ;)

Seriously though, the shield is only to protect him against missile fire. His regular armor save and the armor of damnation re-rolls should do just fine to keep him in one piece. If you're really paranoid, you can always add the Gaze of hte Gods for a spiffy ward save.

It's an interesting use for a Lord, though.Most people (myself included) turn them into a mobile missile platform on a disc. If you maange to get ornage fire, you'll have a combat monster, but part of me still feels that 3 other spells and a lot of power dice will be going to waste if you're plunging him into combat...

MikeH
25-10-2006, 00:06
he's in a unit of Chosen Knights of Chaos with a Blasted Standard- there is no 2nd turn of combat

der_lex
25-10-2006, 00:17
If all goes well. Always add that, lest the dice gods curse you for your hybris :D

The blasted standard is a bit of a waste on that unit, IMO, since your lord has a good chance of rolling yellow fire anyway. And yes, that unit should be able to kill just about anything in a single turn, so why are you worrying about shields and ward saves anyway?

The Thnikkaman
25-10-2006, 01:14
I would give him the gaze of the gods... such a massive cost in points really needs more than just armour to save him. Plus he's your level 4 wizard to boot.

A chaos lord character without a ward save is not too difficult to kill.

MikeH
25-10-2006, 01:29
The banner and/or yellow fires of Tzeentch give 5+ invulns

Neknoh
25-10-2006, 05:57
¤sigh¤

They don't need to stack, they are there in case you would come up against heavely (and I mean Chosen Warriors heavely) armed infantryunits against whom you would want that 1+ save rather than a 2+ one with strength 6.

Also, with a Spell Familliar on him for 5 out of the 6 rollable Tzeentch spells, I don't see the need for the Blasted Standard on the unit, sure, the standard will give you the abillity to have a 5+ ward for the entire unit and still have the Lord cast spells, but that's 50 pts more if the unit dies.

There are quite standard combos such as:

Lord of Tzeentch
- Hallberd, Shield, Disc of Tzeentch, Golden Eye of Tzeentch and the Staff of Change.

This presents a decently costed combat semi-monster that can also nuke the enemy completely, throwing 5 dice at each spell without worrying much about miscasts

Shaitan
25-10-2006, 09:32
he's in a unit of Chosen Knights of Chaos with a Blasted Standard- there is no 2nd turn of combat

I wonder why I never see flails on the Chaos heroes and lords. The +2 strength in the first turn of combat is a must-have IMO! Especially when you (like MikeH) think the combat won't last a second turn. Another great aspect of the flails, and thus S7 in the first turn, is the auto-kill of chariots!!

So I would suggest a flail for your lord.

der_lex
25-10-2006, 11:18
I wonder why I never see flails on the Chaos heroes and lords. The +2 strength in the first turn of combat is a must-have IMO! Especially when you (like MikeH) think the combat won't last a second turn. Another great aspect of the flails, and thus S7 in the first turn, is the auto-kill of chariots!!

So I would suggest a flail for your lord.

I think with the nerfing of great weapons for mounted characters, flails will see a lot more play in 7th ed.

MikeH
26-10-2006, 13:48
How were great weapons nerfed? I'm in college, and thus poor and not up to date.

Neknoh
26-10-2006, 20:47
They only confer +1 strength with all the drawbacks of a greatweapon when mounted

MikeH
26-10-2006, 23:09
Wow, there goes the effectiveness of 30 % of the chaos lords ast my gaming shop. Why the hell did they do this? Some of these changes I've heard about make about as much sense as shooting yourself in the nuts to help a head ache

der_lex
26-10-2006, 23:12
Mostly because chariots didn't stand a chance against fast, mobile STR7 hitters, I believe.

That and it's a lot more difficult to wield a large weapon on horseback. The chances of you tottering off if you swing it as hard a you would on the ground are pretty big, so you'd have to hold back a little.

MikeH
26-10-2006, 23:14
Well, Gav Thorpe in the article about creating the hordes of chaos army book wrote of his struggle to make magic weapons that would be more tempting than a great weapon for a Chaos Heroe or Character... I guess he got his wish :(

der_lex
26-10-2006, 23:53
It's not the end of the world. At least you can still opt for a flail or a halberd instead. It's rougher on Bretonian Question knights, who are forced to take great weapons.

The 'your unit must be at least five models wide to get rank bonuses' rule has been tougher on Chaos, IMO (but even that's not too much of a problem).

Shaitan
27-10-2006, 09:51
It's not the end of the world. At least you can still opt for a flail or a halberd instead.
But that's not very cool for everyone with a mounted character that is allready modeled with a great weapon.

The 'your unit must be at least five models wide to get rank bonuses' rule has been tougher on Chaos, IMO (but even that's not too much of a problem).

For me that's not really much of a problem. I have always deployed my units 5 wide in 6th edition just to get more attacks.
Now in 7th edition I'm trying to see if it works to deploy my Marauders 6 wide. That is one extra attack again. If I use Warriors I might even deploy them 7 wide (in 2 ranks)!