PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Kill Teams

mattjgilbert
01-07-2005, 12:59
Looks cool - I was planning something along the same lines! Has anyone tried it?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/space-hulk/1/

Scythe
01-07-2005, 14:22
Looks cool - I was planning something along the same lines! Has anyone tried it?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/space-hulk/1/

The rules were discussed some time ago in this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums//showthread.php?t=3523) started by Brimstone some time ago. Haven't tried them yet, but they look quite nice.

Xyon
01-07-2005, 16:12
yeah.. overwatch can be a killer if the 'stealer player doesnt watch out, stealers can FoC right? thats a potential 12 shots coming from one guy if you're not careful O_O

MidnightResistance
01-07-2005, 20:42
That's sheer madness!
I'm a huge Deathwing and terminator fan and everything, but 12 shots from one guy is insanity.
I also felt that the termies having BS5 also makes them too good, but hey, I have the real space hulk

Xyon
02-07-2005, 21:36
Wow, the orriginal space hulk? thats real neat, wish i had it, I'll probably pick it up if i do find it.

Dont know what stats termies had in Spacehulk, but they had bs and ws 5 in 2nd ed.
But I think the BS5 is to counter-act the fact that the stealers get a cover save against all but the flamer.

MidnightResistance
03-07-2005, 07:22
There's loads going on ebay all the time

Scythe
03-07-2005, 12:18
Dont know what stats termies had in Spacehulk, but they had bs and ws 5 in 2nd ed.
But I think the BS5 is to counter-act the fact that the stealers get a cover save against all but the flamer.

Yeah, but stealers were way more effective against terminators in combat in space hulk. In space hulk, the moment even a single genestealer got in combat with a terminator, the terminator had to be really lucky to walk away alive. With these rules, it all depends on rending claws doing their work, and if they don't, the stealer is almost certain death. Like I said, I haven't tried the rules yet, but it looks like the stealers job got a little harder.

MidnightResistance
03-07-2005, 13:31
The stealers job becomes impossible in my eyes. Sit all the terminators together, wait for the genestealers to poke their ugly heads out, you get double shots and at BS5. Bear in mind that in 40K my two terminator squads usually munch through whole armies on their own.

Xyon
03-07-2005, 13:39
Well there are objectives for the terminators to reach aswell, like getting to a certain point on the game board, if the stealer player waits with all his broods or moves them to the objective before getting shot by terminators then they have to come to the stealers in order to win, especially if there is a turn limit to reach the objective.

Orcdom
03-07-2005, 16:21
Bear in mind that in 40K my two terminator squads usually munch through whole armies on their own.

your joking, right?
Steve

hood_oz
03-07-2005, 23:19
your joking, right?
Steve

Not if he has two ten man terminator squads with ass cannons a plenty. And teleports into the enemy deployment zone. Rear armur hits and shooting the enemy in the heavy wepon squads as it were...

Or two huge ten man assualt squads of terminators. (that can certainly munch through an army if they get into close combat)

Or maybe he plays against someone who rolls a lot of 1's....

Emperor's Light
04-07-2005, 02:48
Only browsed the rules very quickly. They're interesting. I love the old Space Hulk (I have 1st and 2nd ed), but this seems to have a different "feel." The old "overwatch" system was counterbalanced by the fact that a terminator could "jam" his stormbolter. Until he clears the jam he can only watch as the stealers swarm him. That was one of the best parts about the old game. I didn't see anything like that here.

Scythe
04-07-2005, 09:40
At least you got new floor tiles now, so you could easily play the old game with the new terminators (and genestealers).

mahon
05-07-2005, 09:13
Anyway I still want to check the new rules. I am curious what they did to the old Space Hulk idea and how it's gonna play...

Chuffy
05-07-2005, 09:39
To be honest I much prefer the old space hulk to these rules, SH was alot quicker and free flowing. However it does have plans for bigger corridors so you could easily play the old space hulk with new models (new termies, not new stealers, I hate the new stealer models).

hood_oz
06-07-2005, 00:29
To be honest I much prefer the old space hulk to these rules, SH was alot quicker and free flowing. However it does have plans for bigger corridors so you could easily play the old space hulk with new models (new termies, not new stealers, I hate the new stealer models).

Well the old space hulk had a time limit on the turn, time limit runs down, thats it, your turn is OVER, regardless of how much you had left to do.

That alone made the game faster. Finish everything in 2 mins for your turn? Not easy!

But new map sizes make for a better game with the new terminators.

I dont hate the new stealers, but that old genestealer was the best plastic model they had for a LONG time. Compare it to the old plastic solid one piece termie and you will know what I mean. And yes, I converted the hell out of my old one piece terminators. I certainly did not like the look of them one bit.

plj126
06-07-2005, 02:26
What scares me is the line from the Tyranid Codex: "The carnifex is a living engine of destruction evolved for use in shock assaults, space ship boarding actions...

The thought boggles the imagination... Space Hulk 2: 5 carnifexs vs. lots of terminators... :D

Emperor's Light
06-07-2005, 02:33
I think even with the new and enlarged corridors Carnifexes are still too big. Of course, I suppose the hive fleet can always just mutate some minifexes for this specific purpose. Same great taste, half the calories...

BloodiedSword
06-07-2005, 09:13
That would be an interesting variant - at the start of the game, the Nid player rolls a D6 to determine if he gets a big gribbly, and if so what kind..

Would be a nasty surprise for that group of Termies who thought the single blip was easy pickings before turning out to be an angry Carnifex..

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 10:06
I think even with the new and enlarged corridors Carnifexes are still too big. Of course, I suppose the hive fleet can always just mutate some minifexes for this specific purpose. Same great taste, half the calories...
I think the idea is the 'fex just walks through the walls.

Couldn't the termies just sit at a dead end and shoot the nids as they get close, using the flamer to make impassible terrain in a "divide and conquer" method.
If they can't find a dead end, they make their own with the flamer.

Scythe
06-07-2005, 11:10

You don't like the new stealers? Well, everone their own I guess.

The old stealers were great, especially concidering their age, but look dated. The new stealers are a nice step forewarth in my opinion.

Couldn't the termies just sit at a dead end and shoot the nids as they get close, using the flamer to make impassible terrain in a "divide and conquer" method.
If they can't find a dead end, they make their own with the flamer.

Like said before, the terminators usually have an objective bound to a turn limit, which generally means they can't sit back and wait. Would be a very dull game otherwise...;)

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 11:22
That would be my first tactic (in real life as well) - find somewhere vaguely safe and sit there shooting the 'nids that come at me.

Scythe
06-07-2005, 11:24
However I doubt I would survive very long in real life....:D

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 11:26
'Stealers are smart. In real life they'd drop on your head from an air duct or cut through a bulkhead wall to get to you.

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 11:48
Which is why you go to a complete dead end and keep that flamer going.

When you use the flamer to create impassible terrain, can you shoot through it? If so, you could potentially pen some genestealers in. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Warpriest
06-07-2005, 15:36
Which is why you go to a complete dead end and keep that flamer going.
Right up until you run out of ammo.

BigJim
06-07-2005, 23:36
Personally I thought that a nice addition to these rules would the the addition of giving the Sgt a single Parry.
I know, smells a bit of 2Ed, but at the moment, the only difference between the Sgt & the Troopers is that he only hits at Str 4, whereas they hit at 8.

They both have a lower I than the Genies, so they'll always strike last. This makes the Sgt the least effective Termie on the board, & thus he'll suddenly become the "expendable" guy. The one who ends up the first casualty every time.

It used to be the Sgt was th only Termie with a decent (read; still slim) chance to beating a Stealer in combat, & this (as well as other things) made him pretty much the most important guy.

The ability to make the Genie player re-roll a single to-hit die per combat phase (note; not per-opponent) wouldn't really unbalance things imo, but would definately bring back the fact that the Sgt is actually a better fighter than the other troopers, not just the guy carrying the limp weapon.

I dunno, perhaps an extra blip to the Stealer player would make it easier to swallow, but I do think it's a shame the Sgt is relagated to the lowest position in the squad when he should be the highest.

Ps: Yeah, hiding down a dead end might rule for a minute or so, but in the original Spacehulk, you ran out of flamer ammo very quickly if you silly with it.. ;)

Xyon
07-07-2005, 08:31
Sense the "space hulk kill team" rules were purely experimental and in no way official, if you do not like them, its entirely possible to modefy them to make them fit what you think would work. OR you could just play the original space hulk, whatever floats your boat. How about taking the kill team space hulk rules and adding a turn limit, aswell as maybe 2-3 minutes limit to each turn, and the turn limit = how many turns of moving full speed to make the objective +2 . And with the overwatch allowing such high rate of fire if they see alot of movement, make termies on overwatch at -1 to their BS. And I like the idea of a parry for the sgt.

What you could also do, is use the old rending claw rules, where they just count as power weapons all the time, rather than on a roll of a 6.

You could do almost anything you want to these rules to make them more appealing.

Scythe
07-07-2005, 08:35
Personally I thought that a nice addition to these rules would the the addition of giving the Sgt a single Parry.
I know, smells a bit of 2Ed, but at the moment, the only difference between the Sgt & the Troopers is that he only hits at Str 4, whereas they hit at 8.

I'd rather tome down the normal terminators. As it is currently, the chances of a stealer in combat with a terminator are still quite slim and depend on the stealer rolling 6s with his rending claws (and even then the terminator gets a save), while a terminator generally whacks a stealer if he strikes. Maybe give normal terminators just a single basic attack instead of 2?

BigJim
07-07-2005, 12:33
I'd rather tome down the normal terminators. As it is currently, the chances of a stealer in combat with a terminator are still quite slim and depend on the stealer rolling 6s with his rending claws (and even then the terminator gets a save), while a terminator generally whacks a stealer if he strikes. Maybe give normal terminators just a single basic attack instead of 2?

True, that would probably work also.
The Termies are probably a bit too hard in combat tbh, what was the old SH combat system?
1 singe D6 for the Termie, 4D6 for the Stealer, highest single dice score wins, right?

In that case, yeah, CC should be death for a Termie, it'd have to be tested, but it seems entirely reasonable to me..

MidnightResistance
07-07-2005, 12:37
Did anyone else see the sneak peak of the Space Hulk computer game to be released by THQ.
It has two modes:
1st person shooter
or tabletop turn based play either against a compy of with a friend.

Looks cool :)
I just hope it's cheap

Orcdom
07-07-2005, 21:03
no, ya got a link?
Steve

Inquis. Jaeger
08-07-2005, 09:15
Mobile games are not usually more than a fiver. Expect around that, as the basic game is already existent, they just have to modify it to fit mobiles.

MidnightResistance
08-07-2005, 09:18
Oh for crying out loud!
I do't want the game on my mobile. I only use the thing for making calls.
If I want to play a computer game, I want it on my bigass wide screen tv.

Wasn't there Space Hulk for the playstation? Was it a first person shooter, or turn based?

BloodiedSword
08-07-2005, 09:35
You can still find the old, 2D overview style Space Hulk computer game lying around in odd places, and I'm sure people have done their own homebrewed versions of it..

I'm don't think Space Hulk would be that great as an FPS. It would just be like Doom, except... worse...

MidnightResistance
08-07-2005, 09:38
...and without strafing

Inquis. Jaeger
08-07-2005, 10:10
My mate's got it for the PC (ie the original game). Comes on about 6 floppy disks :D

Scythe
08-07-2005, 10:18
True, that would probably work also.
The Termies are probably a bit too hard in combat tbh, what was the old SH combat system?
1 singe D6 for the Termie, 4D6 for the Stealer, highest single dice score wins, right?

In that case, yeah, CC should be death for a Termie, it'd have to be tested, but it seems entirely reasonable to me..

3D6 for a stealer if I'm correct, but the point stands that terminators were dead when a stealer got close. And remember a stealer had 6 action points, so could attack more than once if the terminator somehow managed to survive the first attack.