PDA

View Full Version : Marauders with Great Weapons

Voltaire
25-10-2006, 10:09
A question - are Marauders with great weapons a good option when compared to the other things available to them? I was thinking of making a nice big unit of 25 of them, but was wondering whether they would be a good option.

(Just a bit more background - I have two units of 15 warriors - one with 2 hand weapons, one with hand weapons & shields)

Shaitan
25-10-2006, 10:24
The setup I prefer for my Marauders is shield and light armour. I field them in units of 20-25 and give them full command.

In my army they should be able to take some charges and hold for at least one round of combat. In my next round I hope to charge the enemy unit in the flank with a support unit to deny ranks, gain flank charge bonus, outnumber and some wounds.

If you want to use Marauders as a flanking unit (sort of like an Empire detachment) you could field 10 or 12 of them with Great Weapons but for the big blocks I recommend shield and light armour.

Rikkjourd
25-10-2006, 10:34
What Shaitan said.

Big unit (20+): Light armour & shield.
Medium unit (13-19): Don't know what this unit would be good for, giving your unit a specific role is better than a half-assed unit that is too small to be a "block" and too big to be a nifty flank detachment.
Small unit (10-12): Great weapon.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
25-10-2006, 14:09
I think flails are better. They keep your Marauders cheaper, and hit just as hard on the first round of combat, which is usually the most important one. The most important thing for me is that my Marauders are cheap.

Inkosi
26-10-2006, 02:42
what is the purpose of that unit of 15 marauders 1st?

but normally i try to keep my marauders cheap and in big numbers. full command, armour shield.

Shaitan
27-10-2006, 09:44
Actually I wonder if there are any uses for a Marauder unit, other then being an anvil. Full ranks, standard, outnumber, a good save (light armour+shield+hw) and maybe a character will make them hold some charges.

As a flanking detachment I prefer to use Marauder Horsemen. They are more versatile then the 10 strong Marauder units with Great Weapons. Pointswise they are not much more expensive: 81 points for Marauder Horsemen with flails and musician and 75 points for Marauders with Great Weapons and musician.

That is why I always equip my Marauders with light armour and shield. Anyone thinks different about this?

Einholt
27-10-2006, 23:22
What about Full Cmd unit of 20 5x4, with flails would this be any good?

Frankly
28-10-2006, 00:11
It depends whatelse you have in your army. If you have some solid blocks of infantry with good saves anyway, then some more heavy hitters wouldn't be a bad idea(although flails work really well and are cheeper).

While if you have alot of heavy hitting units already than 4+ armours infantry blocks can't be over looked for CR bounuses.

25 or 30 is a better option for most cheepish infantry units, so you can take some losses and keep the rank bonuses. But in support units, then 15 warriors with flails isn't a bad units size since your looking at supporting your major infantry blocks(that give rank bonuses anyway).

sulla
28-10-2006, 01:20
In my experience with chaos footsloggers (not the easiest army to win with without a heap of slaaneshi magic to support them), great weapons and flails work in smaller units as support of your bigger units or monstrous heavy hitters.

This is because they are a lot like many elven infantry units in that they cannot hold if charged so are better used when relegated to support unit status as chargebait or flank sweepers to protect your big blocks from flyers or fast cav.

Sulla

Tobias
28-10-2006, 05:53
Big unit with 24 marauders with great weapons+exalted champ+great weapon+helm of many eyes

:) Good good ;) First you killthe unit tha tis charging you so you have many attacks back :)

The Thnikkaman
28-10-2006, 12:28
i field one block of 25 with LA and shield, and another block of 20 with LA, shield and GWs. the second block always does a lot better than the first one - it has the ranks, standard and ability to get kills while the other just has ranks and standard. And if chaos close combat is about anything, its about bringing the kills.

Inkosi
30-10-2006, 05:01
Big unit with 24 marauders with great weapons+exalted champ+great weapon+helm of many eyes

:) Good good ;) First you killthe unit tha tis charging you so you have many attacks back :)

if i never remembered wrongly, u cant put a chaos champion into a unit of marauders.

Any1 can clarify this? i saw it somewhere in this forum if i m not wrong in one of the few chaos tactica.

and if a decent infantry unit charges you like big 'uns or even 'ard boyz, remember marauders only have 3 toughness and 6+ armour save if using great weapon. its quite a gd chance the whole front rank would get wiped out. u got great weapon also useless if u cant strike back. They wound u, they outnumber you(if its an orc infantry unit thats highly likely).

so depends on what purpose your marauders serve. If u want them to be your punch, then equip them with great weapons and make sure they charged instead of being charged. If its just a screen or tank, use handweapon n shield. and use the extra points for more marauders.

laughingman
30-10-2006, 05:22
i always wondered if big units of mauraders could do anything but be rank and file static resolution.

I tried to equipe them with great wepons, and or flails. Neither did well. all those points that I spent on those, and only the champian ever got to attack back. So if you ever want to get them as hitters your out of luck. THats my experience anyway.

Ciaphas
30-10-2006, 11:36
I have tried to run two regiments of Marauders. One of 12 with flails and one of 16 with shields, swords/axe/spiky clubs with full command.

However, the result has always been that they've just gotten thrashed. I can't remember a single combat they have been able to survive. I suppose that I am using them wrong.

Ciaphas

Shaitan
30-10-2006, 13:01
I have tried to run two regiments of Marauders. One of 12 with flails and one of 16 with shields, swords/axe/spiky clubs with full command.

However, the result has always been that they've just gotten thrashed. I can't remember a single combat they have been able to survive. I suppose that I am using them wrong.

Then you should use them in groups of 20-25 and equip them with light armour and shield and give them FC.
When you're facing a lot of shooting you can even beef them up to 25-30 models.

When you use them in this way, you will have full ranks, standard and enough models for outnumber against most enemies.
That will do against most (or some) units, but maybe you need a lucky dice roll for the break test.

Ciaphas
30-10-2006, 14:46
Ah...that I might try. However, as I can see from my post, I have neglected to write that the unit of 16 already have light armour. Oh well.

I will try to boost the units to repectively 20 for the flails (still no command or armour), and the other unit to 25 (with full command, swords, shields and light armour).

Regards,
Ciaphas

meat
30-10-2006, 15:46
if i never remembered wrongly, u cant put a chaos champion into a unit of marauders

You can indeed put chaos characters in Marauder units. A character with a Mark of Chaos (Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Undivided) can only join units with the same Mark, or unmarked units. Marauders do not have a mark of Chaos and hence it's legal for (mortal) characters to join them.

Brother Maynard
30-10-2006, 15:59
I use my marauders as sort of my light infantry complement to my Khorne army. I'll field 20 with HW, SH, LA and Full comand, and then 3 units of 10 with just flails and LA. The smaller units act as flanking detachments for the unit of 20 and for my unit of 12 warriors. These smaller units serve two other purposes aswell. They act as fodder when I'm trying to lure away a stronger enemy unit and also help create a target rich environment when I'm facing a shooty opponent. It kind of stretches my Khorne force into a "smallish" horde, hopefully distracting my opponents shooting from my elite units and onto them.