PDA

View Full Version : You think you can beat Archaon?

blurred
26-10-2006, 10:20
I got this idea from the new OnG book when I realized that Archaon is more than easy to beat with the following setup:

Goblin warboss
- Tricksy trinket
- Lucky's dirk
- Amulet of protectyness

As I see it the enemy may not take his/her ward saves, but they still apply to the goblin (maybe this would be good food for the rules section). This leaves Archaon alone with his puny armour save and thus doomed.

So are there any other characters (not special) in the game who can take on Archaon and have a fair chance of beating him. At least dwarf lords should I presume. :)

Jedi152
26-10-2006, 10:23
Dwarf Lord all runed up with shieldbearers would have a go.

Or a Blood Dragon lord all tooled up.

Odieman
26-10-2006, 10:39
Yeah have 3 parent units in an empire army, invest in three 5 man milita detachments:p , and charge Archaon with each one by one, and hope he kills himself. Or you could shoot him up with a couple of great cannons :D

Odieman
26-10-2006, 10:42
Oh sorry didnt see you asked of characters. hmm a dwarf lord would be able i guess, other than that, Thyrion, Valten, Thorgrim grudgebearer, or perhaps Grimgor would do the trick. Altough cna just as easily die though :p .

Shaitan
26-10-2006, 11:19
Grimghor won't do the trick. :p I have tried it yesterday with a friend of mine, to see wich one would be better in a challenge.

If Grimghor doesn't get Archaon killed in the first round of combat it is very likely that Grim will die.

But most of the times it is dependant of some non-predictable factors wich will make the situation a little different each time.
And of course the dice rolls are of great importance.

warboss48
26-10-2006, 11:53
I would say a Khorne lord with the weapon the gives him the stats of a greater deamon though i haven't read my HOC book in while so i can't remember the disadvantages of it.

ss_cherubael
26-10-2006, 12:36
He usually kills himself in a turn or two, rofl

Blood Dragon vampire can do the trick pretty well, ive had success with dark elf assassins and the poison that drops your stats, seriously archaon with a S and T of 2 is fantastic! funny as. Dwarf lord could kick his head in, i would also say that most chaos lords could take him pretty easily. Elector count with a runefang would make a mess of him most days as long as they survive the 1st round thats the breaker i think if your still standing by the end of the 1st turn your chances of beating him are greatly increased

Scythe
26-10-2006, 12:45
Done that. Twice already. Once with a Blood Dragon Lord, another time with a Blood Dragon Count. Both only took a single wound. (altough I have to admit that Archaons daemonic steed bit my count to dead afterwards...

Asq_Dak
26-10-2006, 12:54
Bretonnian Lord, virtue of confidence / armour of agilulf, morning star of fracasse + your personal touch.

prefered on a flying mount, but not necessary.

When you get the charge, the morning star is EXTREMELY likely to destroy his sword. Once gone, direct all attacks on his mount, reducing his flee move to 2d6 hehe...

StarFyreXXX
26-10-2006, 13:13
I've done it with an oldblood on carnosaur.

Probability wise, it's in archaon's favour but not by much....

Sanjay

woytek
26-10-2006, 13:48
In the fluff grimgor defeated archaon..

blurred
26-10-2006, 14:15
Good suggestions. Vampires are of course real Archaon slayers and Bretonnian lords have those nice magic items to kick Archie's ass.

Elector count with a runefang would make a mess of him most days as long as they survive the 1st round

How come? Sure the count wounds automatically and passes armour saves, but Archaon still has a 3+ ward save and the count is without any decent protection. The assassin sounds a bit dubious as well to me. How can he ever manage to get a wound through? Are there any elf characters that can take him out?

Odieman
26-10-2006, 14:26
Forgot to mention, a Master engineer of the Empire, with Van horstmans speculum armoured with light armour, and the enchanted shield (3+ arm), that way archaon would get one lousy attack (I believe) and the Engineer could kill him with Archaons stats :evilgrin: . (have yet to try it out though, so no promises :P)

EDIT: Oh and also the engineer has a barded warhorse so 2+ armour save to the engineer then.

skavenguy13
26-10-2006, 14:38
Fellblade. You obviously need the charge though.

chivalrous
26-10-2006, 14:44
Malekith, provided he survied to round 2, would have a fair chance. Turn 1 he makes a few attacks with Destroyer and I expect the Archaon player to allow his armour to be destroyed (since it offers no protection against Malekith's gauntlet) Turn 2, I believe Malekith will attack first on initiative and destroyer will knock out Archaons sword, returning Malekiths ward save.

As I said, this does rely on Malekith survivng to round 2 OR the Archon player being dumb enough to let the sword get destroyed in turn 1.

Malekiths Dragon ought to knock out Archaons steed in the first round...

Scythe
26-10-2006, 14:47
How come? Sure the count wounds automatically and passes armour saves, but Archaon still has a 3+ ward save and the count is without any decent protection. The assassin sounds a bit dubious as well to me. How can he ever manage to get a wound through? Are there any elf characters that can take him out?

Shadowblade has a slight chance in the first round of combat. 7 S7 attacks at WS10 with killing blow. After that, it is probably over tough.

Forgot to mention, a Master engineer of the Empire, with Van horstmans speculum armoured with light armour, and the enchanted shield (3+ arm), that way archaon would get one lousy attack (I believe) and the Engineer could kill him with Archaons stats . (have yet to try it out though, so no promises :P)

EDIT: Oh and also the engineer has a barded warhorse so 2+ armour save to the engineer then.

The armour save is worthless. Archaon still has his slayer of kings, which ignores armour. Also, tough you might remain alive, you won't be doing much offensive wise. Sure you have 5 S5 attacks, but you are up against an 1+ armour save and a 3+ ward. This combat probably lasts until one of the two breaks somehow.

TheWarSmith
26-10-2006, 16:29
The key is you have to destroy his magic weapon. He'll PWN you dead if you don't.

Commissar Vaughn
26-10-2006, 16:34
Ive played against archaon 5 times during the last 10(?) years since he came out in 5th edition and each time he received a damn good kicking.

the first two times my old Empire General did the job under a banner of might(+1 to hit) with a potion of strength (+3s once) and the old runefang(no saves, and double wounds v undead). He also had the amour of protection(4+ special save) . Thats 1 round of 3s to hit and 2s to wound, with no save after which archaon runs, but not fast enough!

3rd time was during a campaign game. Id managed to beat up the very small chaos army with my empire force, but archaon was in there steadily hacking through my men, and my general in that game was seriously underpowered for taking him on. SO it fell to my level 1 grey wizard to take on the lord of the end times. He onlyhad one spell from the old grey magic lists. It did d6 hits with no save (cant recll the strength) but only had a range of 3"!
He sneaked up very close whilst my knights and pistoliers distracted him by dieing en mass, and managed to cast it with total power!

4th time, archaon was riding to war (again against empire) in the company of 30 chaos knights. My oppponents had learnt something I think! They charged forward and then all fell of their horses to the barrage of 3 volleyguns. In 5th ed. so thats 27 barrells firing at s5. :skull:

5th time my DOW unhorsed him with crossbowfire, threatened to charge him with lots of heavy lancers, causing him to hide in some woods :eyebrows: where my level 2 wizard bagged him with uranons thunderbolt(heavens), again cast with total power.

After that much bad luck (he should have been able so survive most of that!) I cn only assume that someone up there doesnt like him very much. Poor Archaon...

And with the elves: there are i seem to recall Items (and spells) that cancell magic items. which leaves you with several options: Remove packaging , charge with lord on dragon, when cooked right through, serve hot :evilgrin:

Or remove his sword and and take a sword master, enough s7 hits will kill him eventually....

prince_dios
26-10-2006, 16:40
I have an awesome strategy against Archaeon.

I put my guys back in the case and find an opponent who isn't using Archaeon.

der_lex
26-10-2006, 17:02
I have an awesome strategy against Archaeon.

I put my guys back in the case and find an opponent who isn't using Archaeon.

A bit unnecessary, I think. Archaon isn't even that powerful a special character.
Static combat res and flanking should get rid of him pretty quickly.

enyoss
26-10-2006, 17:49
I usually try and bludgeon his pony to death in a desperate attempt to get enough 1st round combat resolution to see him off.

After that I just try and tough it out until he kills himself... what a strategy :(

Cheers,

enyoss

Fred_Scuttle
26-10-2006, 20:29
Played him 3 times in 6th........2500 - 3500 pts games each time.

Me = VC - and yip - Blood Dragon Count on Winged Nightmare killed him dead each time.

TheWarSmith
26-10-2006, 22:07
Boris Todbringer is a pretty good match for him actually.

WillFightForFood
27-10-2006, 00:14
HE Prince - Lance, Dragon Armor, Shield, Null Stone
Riding a Dragon - 542 points

The Archon is only armed with magic items (his armor doesn't even count as a normal suit of armor), therefore he loses all of them. His magic from being a Tzeentch goes away. So he's pretty much just a naked Chaos lord riding a demonic steed.

TheWarSmith
27-10-2006, 00:37
yeah, but you just spent 80 points to make archaon JUST a guy who'd still beat your ass.

He'll hit you on 3s, wound you on 2s, give you -2 armour save, and if he's smart he'll cut down your mount first(if you have a monstrous one), otherwise you'll lose combat and run due to the fear.

Even if we're assuming both units are basically unbreakable in a "fight to the death" situation, the high elf is still a naked high elf,

Baindread
27-10-2006, 00:43
Goblin warboss
- Tricksy trinket
- Lucky's dirk
- Amulet of protectyness

Add the Spite shield so now, he does not only beat himself silly, he is pummeled by S5 hits too =).

der_lex
27-10-2006, 01:01
yeah, but you just spent 80 points to make archaon JUST a guy who'd still beat your ass.

He'll hit you on 3s, wound you on 2s, give you -2 armour save, and if he's smart he'll cut down your mount first(if you have a monstrous one), otherwise you'll lose combat and run due to the fear.

Even if we're assuming both units are basically unbreakable in a "fight to the death" situation, the high elf is still a naked high elf,

Yes, cancellation of magic items isn't always sufficient. People tend to forget how nasty chaos lords are even without their magic gizmos. I once had a similar situation where I was playing my Tzeentch army against a magic-heavy Lizardmen army with a 2nd gen Slann. For some reason, my opponent decided to use his Slann to cast drain magic on my Tzeentch lord. That meant that he had a hideously expensive fat frog who was twiddling his thumbs every turn because he was afraid he couldn't succesfully cast the drain magic a second time, whereas I still had a very angry chaos lord with five attacks on a disc with a 15' charge range. Guess who won that one.

WillFightForFood
27-10-2006, 01:23

1. The elf is getting the charge, with 9 Str six attacks hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s. It's not unfeasible that you'd kill him on the charge.
2. Fear doesn't come into play. The elf is riding a dragon which causes terror, and thus is not going to be taking any tests.
3. The Dragon has a unit strength of six, seven with the rider, and will outnumber the opponent, which will only have a unit strength of four. Combat resolution is already in your favor. Which leads into:
4. Even if you lose combat, the Prince has a leadership of 10 and the Dragon a leadership of 8. They will probably not be running.
5. The archon will have to go after the character first. The Dragon has a T of 6 and 6 wounds. The archon is unlikely to kill the dragon before being killed himself if he doesn't elminate the null stone first.
6. Neither the high elf character or the dragon will be naked. They will have a 6+ and a 5+ save respectively. Not great, but it is more than the archon will have.
7. The high elf will get to attack before the archon on round 2 of combat, because his initiative is hitting on fours, wounding on fives.

Cancellation of items is not always going to be enough. Certainly this is not fool-proof. The Archon has tough stats and four wounds, but the point of this exercise is to theoryhammer up a character that can take out the Archon, and such a High Elf Prince could do it.

Toppan
27-10-2006, 02:05
is it possible for an ogre character to lay the smackdown on archie?

larabic
27-10-2006, 02:19
In the old days Grimgor could do it everytime...attack his horse and survive the comabt ....+2 CR break him and grimgor wins. Considering Grimgore still comes with a unit and is a bad a$$ he should still break and kill him.

TheWarSmith
27-10-2006, 05:03
Archaon comes with a unit too. He just doesn't have to deploy with them.

An ogre character could stand a chance

Hellebore
27-10-2006, 16:35
The master rune of smiting (D6 wounds) is pretty good at it, + the rune of might (2x strength against T5 or more).

Give the dwarf lord a rune of spite (4+ ward).

I think however, that the best combination against archaon specifically is as follows:

rune of might (2x S vs T5) 25 pts
master rune of breaking (destroys slayer of kings) 45 pts
Master rune of adamant (T6) 45 pts

Archaon strikes 1st with 10 attacks:

2/3rds hit so ~6.

of those, 1/3 wound so ~2.

Dwarf strikes back, 1/2 hit so 2.

Slayer automatically broken, no more 10 attacks.

Damage on 3+ sp ~1 hit, at S8, -5 asm.

I'm not sure if Archaon would still kill him or not, but gives the guy a run for his money.

Hellebore

skavenguy13
27-10-2006, 20:20
I remember sometime Archaon was on the table in a huge mega-battle.

Only thing in the chaos army that lasted more than 2 turns against the empire gunline in front. And then got baited and baited (summoned zombies), so he earned like 200 VPs in the game.

StarFyre
28-10-2006, 06:35
I love fighting tzeentch armies with my lizardmen :)

hehe

Anyways, i made a probability table for the lizardmen archaon killer. I can't find it right now...

but it's fun...but you do need a good army since i had priests to help me stop the magic phase and get rid of any spells arc may want to cast.

after that:

oldblood on carnosaur - blessed spawning of sotek (if you charge, you get +1 attack), itzl (for carnosaur), and old ones (+d3 rerolls) armed with light armour, shield, tzunki blade (+1 str, ignore armour saves), and aura quetzl (4+ ward vs str 5 attacks+)

basically arch needs 3+ to hit the OB, and 4+ to wound, while the OB needs 4+ to hit arch and 3+ to wound. both ignore saves. arch gets more attacks (10 vs 5 or 6) but normally 1 or 2 hit himself. And the carnosaur gets 1 extra attack than the demonic steed and is better.

Then it comes down to OBs 4+ ward vs archs 3+. ARch will have advantage, so the rerolls are for OBs ward save.

I even did some own playtests with friends 1 on 1, and it ended up being 6-4 in favour of arch in 3 10 fight challenges. The next one, I got luckier, and won 6-4.

So it is a good fight....

BUt I hear now a slann with certain spells from lore of metal or something can do quite well with them? not sure..

Sanjay

Neknoh
28-10-2006, 08:17
I have noted that most people in this thread seem to disregard Archy's armour, the fact that he can never be wounded on better than a 3+ when wearing it is very interesting for all of those who want to use high strength attacks.

Arhalien
28-10-2006, 09:07
I've done it with an oldblood on carnosaur.

Probability wise, it's in archaon's favour but not by much....

Sanjay

Had a friend who did that. The lord also killed Tyrion, and a variety of other special characters (can;t remmeber which). It also apparently had the ability to eat most of an enemy army on it's own.

Wings of Doom
28-10-2006, 17:12
A chaos lord with the armour of damnation, gaze of the gods, helm of many eyes and the bears anger cast on him 3 times?
Thats 10 strength 10 attacks hitting on 4's wounding on 3's with a 3+save for Archy.
That's 5 hits, 3.3 wounds with 1.1 saved, so 2.2 wounds.
When Archy attacks its 10 strength 5 hitting on 3's and having to re-roll successful rolls to hit, wounding on 6's with a 6+ save 4+ ward save.
That would be 6.6 hits, 4.4 after the re-roll, o.74 wounds, o.12345679 saved by armour, so 0.617 wounds, 0.3 of which are saved by the ward save. Thats less than half a wound from archaon, and the means for this chaos lord (chaos lord plus 3 level 2 bray shaman) is 'only' 625 points. A good 175 or so less than Archaon. It does, however, require the spell to be succsesfully cast 3 times, but as its only a 4+ and there will be 8 casting dice I doubt it would fail. Archaon will probably dispell one, but it wouldn't have that much effect: the lord would be strength 9 with 10 attacks, just toughness 7, which archy is still wounding on 6's.
Yay for magic.

Bortus
28-10-2006, 17:26
I beat him once with a base of Snotlings.................er, ok maybe not...

Freak Ona Leash
28-10-2006, 19:32
A chaos lord with the armour of damnation, gaze of the gods, helm of many eyes and the bears anger cast on him 3 times?
Thats 10 strength 10 attacks hitting on 4's wounding on 3's with a 3+save for Archy.
When Archy attacks its 10 strength 5 hitting on 3's and having to re-roll successful rolls to hit, wounding on 6's with a 6+ save 4+ ward save.
That would be 6.6 hits, 4.4 after the re-roll, o.74 wounds, o.12345679 saved by armour, so 0.617 wounds, 0.3 of which are saved by the ward save. Thats less than half a wound from archaon, and the means for this chaos lord (chaos lord plus 3 level 2 bray shaman) is 'only' 625 points. A good 175 or so less than Archaon. It does, however, require the spell to be succsesfully cast 3 times, but as its only a 4+ and there will be 8 casting dice I doubt it would fail. Archaon will probably dispell one, but it wouldn't have that much effect: the lord would be strength 9 with 10 attacks, just toughness 7, which archy is still wounding on 6's.
Yay for magic.
The Bears Anger stacks now? Well, that is...intriguing...

Scythe
28-10-2006, 21:19
Yay for magic.

It also depends on getting your chaos lord in combat before archaon gets into combat with your bray shamans. And with only move 4 versus 8 of Archaons steed, that will be quite difficult. It also depends on getting the charge, because Archaon can dispel in his turn when he charges (which he will, with M8). Nice in theory, not possible in practice I am afraid.

ichani
28-10-2006, 23:02
the real way to do it was using the old orks book special character, not grimgor the mage one. cant think of his name. hehe your a squig!

10th clancannach rangers
29-10-2006, 01:06
I beat him once with a base of Snotlings.................er, ok maybe not...

Which raises the question what are the chances of a single gobbo beating a bloodthirster in single combat? Incidently the chances dramatically improve if the goblin has a banner:D

29-10-2006, 02:13
Ive used a elvin prince with the null stone and a little luck

Toppan
29-10-2006, 03:08
how would an ogre tyrant with seige breaker, heavy armor and the giantbreaker big name work out? 5 s9 attacks using arch's initiative and not his ws. im not too sure, but it sounds good to me, especially if we're just pitting character vs. character

Wings of Doom
29-10-2006, 09:28
WEll, firstly, you're striking last, and secondly, his Initivie is higher than your weaponskill anyway so it makes no differance. You'll wound on 3+'s, the same as if you just giantbreaker, and heavy armour will be completely pointless because Archaons strength 5 will nullify your save.

Freak, I believe it stacks, simply because I can't find anywhere in the rulebook it says that;
A) The same spell cannot be cast on a model twice,
B) The effects do not stack, or
C) It is in any other way prohibited by the rules.

Wings of Doom
29-10-2006, 09:39
The original question didn't ask for it in practice, I believe it was just Archaon vs the Character.
You could put the lord on a dragon and get the jump on Archaon.

Better items for an ogre would be the Greedy Fist (combined with heavy armour gives you a 1 in 6 chanec of destroying Archaons sword), Mawseeker so he wounds you on 5's (ten points is a bargain seeing as how you're going to get charged and stupidity doesn't affect you in combat), adn the tenderiser, so you have an armour save modifier of -5, 5 attacks hitting on 4's wouding on 3's doing d3 wounds per wounding hit.

Scythe
29-10-2006, 11:13
Which raises the question what are the chances of a single gobbo beating a bloodthirster in single combat? Incidently the chances dramatically improve if the goblin has a banner:D

Alright, I am bored;

Chance of a gobbo wounding a Thirster: 1/3*1/6*1/2*2/3 = 0.0185

Chance of doing it 8 times in a row (he has to cause a wound every turn, otherwise he loses combat, and autobreaks due terror) = 1.38 *10^-14

Now, the chance of the Bloodthirster not killing the gobbo in a single round of combat: (to tired to write it out, calculate yourself to check ;)) 3.04*10^-4

Then, the chance of not killing him in 8 sequent turns of combat: 7.34*10^29

Finally, combine the chances of the gobbo doing a wound each turn, and the bloodthirster doing none: 1.01*10^-42

That's 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000101

Adding a banner complicates things to much, so I am not bothering with that. Archaon might be a bigger chance, since Archaon can kill himself. :p

WLBjork
29-10-2006, 12:46
No one's going for the flaming obvious?

Giant. Sure you got to get lucky, but "Pick up and..." followed by "...stuff down trousers" means Archaon is dead.

Which then brings up the question of what would really happen when Snarsnik's Gobbla gets hit with the same result?

Neknoh
29-10-2006, 19:18
Gobbla is a very, very, very spicey meatball :p

Lieutenant Frederic Henry
30-10-2006, 07:32
Archaon is like 800 points, right? How about if we modified the discusstion to "what 800 point combination of characters can you use to eat the Lord of the End Times?"

Varath- Lord Impaler
30-10-2006, 10:30
hehehe, cannons are 100 points each right?

8 of them

or 13 dwarfen engineer bolt throwers. (with one with the rune of immolation)

Neknoh
30-10-2006, 10:37
Archaon is like 800 points, right? How about if we modified the discusstion to "what 800 point combination of characters can you use to eat the Lord of the End Times?"

Well... a high Elf prince with the Nullstone mounted on a dragon, Asarnil the Dragonlord (the Dogs of War dragon rider) and throw in a Blood Dragon with the Kilingblow thingie for good measure

Freak Ona Leash
30-10-2006, 10:48
Gobbla is a very, very, very spicey meatball :p
Id be more worried with what happens if he shoves Gobbla down his trousers. Ouch.

DisruptorX
30-10-2006, 10:51
I'd go for the giant, too.

How about trying to overpower his magic resistance and put a curse of years on him?

WLBjork
30-10-2006, 11:02
Well,at 800 points that would be 16 basic Dragon Slayers :D

Scythe
30-10-2006, 11:06
hehehe, cannons are 100 points each right?

8 of them

or 13 dwarfen engineer bolt throwers. (with one with the rune of immolation)

Sadly you don't have the special slots to do that...;)

How about trying to overpower his magic resistance and put a curse of years on him?

Curse of years doesn't instant kill anymore, it just causes a wound (on a 6 the first turn, yay). I even think Archaon can use his ward against it.

Any combination of characters suffer from the challenge rule btw. Most likely they just get torn apart one a combat round.

woytek
30-10-2006, 12:39
I GOT THE SOLUTION!!!

Drop in eight night goblin units of 20 with nets, 95 points/unit. Then put them one wide and all use nets on archaon! I'm sure he will get strenght 0 in no time and is automatically dead!

I can already see the Lord of the End Times struggling to get all kinds of nets of his back while the little night goblins are still trying to throw some more...hahah

Slaaneshi Slave
30-10-2006, 12:55
Pretty much anybody with Sophoric Musk has a good chance of taking him down.

Slaaneshi Slave
30-10-2006, 12:58
I GOT THE SOLUTION!!!

Drop in eight night goblin units of 20 with nets, 95 points/unit. Then put them one wide and all use nets on archaon! I'm sure he will get strenght 0 in no time and is automatically dead!

I can already see the Lord of the End Times struggling to get all kinds of nets of his back while the little night goblins are still trying to throw some more...hahah

Or as many minimum sized units as possible with maximum number of Fanatics. :D And you thought Empire were bad for throwing dozens of cannon balls at you. :D

woytek
30-10-2006, 13:30
Or as many minimum sized units as possible with maximum number of Fanatics. :D And you thought Empire were bad for throwing dozens of cannon balls at you. :D

That's about 6 units with 3 fanatics each.....ouch

If every fanatic makes it to archaon that's 18 D6 hits with strenght 5 and -3 armour save... :| average of 54 hits!

Scythe
30-10-2006, 14:30
If every fanatic makes it to archaon that's 18 D6 hits with strenght 5 and -3 armour save... :| average of 54 hits!

Hmm, 54 hits, wounding on 4s, 27 wounds. Then he gets a 4+ armour save, 13.5 wounds left. Then the 3+ ward, 4.5 wounds in total, just enough.

But that's assuming EVERY fanatic reaches him...;)

woytek
30-10-2006, 14:47
Well I actually did a miscalculation... it's supposed to be 63 hits.. I did 18*6/2 but that's wrong, should be 18*3.5..

So 63 hits, 31.5 wounds, 15.75 after save, 5.25 actual wounds... but with some bad dice rolling could be more then that...or less..

30-10-2006, 21:17
A mage dropping a comet of cassandora on him that spends 3 turns in flight?

Necro Angelo
30-10-2006, 21:40
...the length of it's flight only increases the range, unfortunately.

30-10-2006, 22:02
Doh! Good point, Necro. Next time, I ought to check my rulebook before I say dumb things, haha.

31-10-2006, 05:41
I knew I was facing him once so I set up a trap
prince with a null stone off to one side flanked on both sides by spearmen (pulled back enough to not get into combat) on on side of the spearmen were swordmasters
(it was a huge gamble) but they got charged by Archie alone and thanks to the null stone they survived the attack

then on my turn I charged him on the sides one with the banner that added D6 combat res again ensuring that archie was within 6" of the prince but the banner and stuff were not (before charges of course)

I rolled a 5 for the cr 2 wounds caused on him flank charge plus for the banner and 3 for the ranked unit and unit streangth
14 to 4
he ran and I caught him (I had some silver helms hwo woulda charged him had I not

lots of luck on my side once archie was dead he picked up his units and left (He really would have killed me idf he stayed---oh well)

Alathir
31-10-2006, 08:14
An wood elf with the annoyance and the spirit sword. It's a risk and takes a large amount of luck, but it could work.

blurred
31-10-2006, 09:13
Wow. I never thought this thread would grow to a size like this. :)

prince with a null stone

Yup. The null stone seems to be Archie's doom when elves are involved. With magic items he's a real monster, but without them pretty awful.

The original idea was to bring up characters that could beat him, but good suggestions overall. I especially liked the giant-stuffs-him-in-the-pants scenario. :D

Scythe
31-10-2006, 09:39
Yup. The null stone seems to be Archie's doom when elves are involved. With magic items he's a real monster, but without them pretty awful.

But still vastly superior to an elven lord stats wise. Add in a dragon, and it might get interesting...