PDA

View Full Version : I was bored....The Cursed Libary 3000 point army

Reinnon
26-10-2006, 14:04
howdy all

there i was, reading through a book about Ancient Celts for my degree when i had an idea for a warhammer army.

yes folks, i decided to make an army of books.

its based around a library possessed by a tzeentch sorcerer, so its a horde of chaos tzeentch army.

its a 3000 point army based around heavy magic, any tips to make it into a 2000 point force would be greatly appricated (sp)

Lords

Tasrau’s Journal:
A truly evil book, the journal of a great Champion of Tzeentch, Tasrau, after Tasrau’s defeat by the witch hunters this book found itself in the Library of Hergig, but the book contained the soul of Tasrau and through its power has possessed the Library and its dark texts, slaying all its path. The book is saturated with magic, and the will of Tasrau drives it giving it the ability to fly and attack.
Counts as a Chaos Lord
Mark: The Journal is a powerful artefact of Tzeentch; it bears his mark
Equipment: The book can strike using powerful bursts of magic; it counts as being armed with a Halberd and a Shield. Due to the knowledge of Tasrau and the many spells inscribed within the book the Journal also counts as being equipped with a Staff of Change and a Golden Eye of Tzeentch.
Mount: Due to the sheer power of Tasrau’s spirit it cannot be fully held within the pages of the journal, taking the form of a dark halo of energy that allows the book to move at incredible speed, but significant damage can weaken this spirit. It is counted as being mounted on a Disc of Tzeentch
Total: 496

Heroes

Libra Demoniac:
One of the famed books of demonology, the library of Hergig was known to have several of these within its dark halls. Under the power of the journal these books have become almost sentient, and now channel the power of Tzeentch.
Counts as an Exalted Champion
Mark: The book is being used to channel Tzeentch’s will, it bears his mark
Equipment: This particular book can channel a quick powerful burst in combat; it counts as being armed with a flail. Due to the words of power inscribed into the book it also counts as being equipped with 2 dispel scrolls.
Mount: This book seems to have had a spell written into it that allows it to move at great speeds, it therefore counts as being mounted on a barded steed.Total: 238

Libra Demoniac:
Equipment: This particular book can channel a quick powerful burst in combat; it counts as being armed with a flail. Due to the words of power inscribed into the book it also counts as being equipped with 2 dispel scrolls.
Mount: This book seems to have had a spell written into it that allows it to move at great speeds, it therefore counts as being mounted on a barded steed.
Total: 238

Encyclopedia de Demoniac:
Counts as an Aspiring Champion
Equipment: This particular book is a powerful focus point of magic, it is counted as being the battle standard for the army and due to the words of power inscribed into the book it also counts as being equipped with 2 dispel scrolls.
Total: 225

Core

24 Possessed Librarians (Marauders): Full Command, Light magical wards (light armour and shields)
Total: 193

25 Possessed Librarians (Marauders): Full Command, Light magical wards (light armour and shields)
Total: 200

25 Possessed Librarians (Marauders): Full Command, Light magical wards (light armour and shields)

Librarians turned mad by the power of the Journal, they now swarm over all enemies, using whatever comes to hand as weapons. Due to the power of the journal they have a limited form of magic protection.

1 Swarm of Tomes (Chariot of Tzeentch)
Total: 140

Tomes of lesser magic that can attack by throwing out a sudden burst of magic as they attack in a vast swarm. Their very presence increases the flow of magic in the local area giving the more powerful books greater means to cast their dark power.

The Forbidden Texts
These books are considered only slightly less dangerous then the feared Libra Demoniac, normally kept shackled under powerful magic wards in the darkest part of the library. With the journal now in control of the library however, these books have been unleashed upon the world. The magic in them gives them great strength and speed, although they can’t manifest it in the same way as the more powerful books they are still a force to be feared
Counts as Knights of Chaos
Mark: Being powerful fonts of dark forbidden knowledge, they have the Mark of Tzeentch
Command Group: Among the books there are some even more powerful tomes, some throwing out massive magical attacks, the unit has a full command group
Total: 235

The Forbidden Texts
Mark: Being powerful fonts of dark forbidden knowledge, they have the Mark of Tzeentch
Command Group: Among the books there are some even more powerful tomes, some throwing out massive magical attacks, the unit has a full command group

5 Library Furniture (Hounds of Chaos)
Total: 30

Bits of shelf, chairs and desks possessed by a dark intelligence, they have great speed and when they charge the many flailing bits of wood can do quite a bit of damage.

Special

3 Book-Beasts (Screamers of Tzeentch)
Total: 99

The result of childrens imagination gone wrong, nightmares warped into reality by sheer magical power, striking down the weak with powerful bolts of twisted thoughts

Power Dice: 18
Dispel Dice: 7
Dispel Scrolls: 6

the main idea is to hammer near endless magic from my heroes supported by an effective charge from the knights, with the lord buzzing around and annoying the snot out of people.

as i said, this is designed to kick butt in the magic phase, any comments would be great

PS: one change i have considered is replacing one of the hero "books" with a chaos giant, thoughts?

druchii
26-10-2006, 16:55
I really like the idea.

Are you honestly planning on making such an army? I think it'd be 100% cool.
A few things about the "names":
Change diary to journal. Diary sounds sort of ninny. I expect a big, badass champion of chaos to keep a journal, not a diary, that's what my little cousin does. She's a ballerina.

I'd also change the name on the BSB "book" call it the "Encyclopedia Demoniac" or somesuch, just to further diversify it from the rest of the hero "books".

Here you've done all this work to come up with nifty names and descriptors of all the different books and then you've just got "tzeentch screamers".

Screw that! Make a name for 'em! I know it's pretty easy to find different synonymns and such for books (encyclopedia, almanac, thesaurus, grimore, binding, etc.) and you could attach some neat verb on the front to create another neat, characterful name!

As to the list:
don't you think 6 dispel scrolls are a little much? I'd cut two of them. That's an easy 50 points right there(I'd get another screamer). While you sort-of take a hit in the magic phase (not really, since you've STILL god 4 scrolls AND 7 DD) it allows you greater flexibility with the screamers.

I think this list is quite mean, but obviously you'll be quite vulnerable to quick, hard hitting armies (bretonnians anyone?) armies that go completely defensive in the magic phase (khorne, dwarves, etc.). Other than those two foibles (and who DOESN'T have trouble with brets?) I think the army will end up roasting some goodguys.

Just please actually make all the books, MAN that would be cool!

d

Kamarathin
26-10-2006, 17:24
Dude! You so have to model this army up!

Reinnon
26-10-2006, 18:23
ok, names changed :)

hmmm, adding another "book-beast" might be a worthwhile exchange for the dispel scrolls.

and yes, hopefully i will build this army (my brother is already coming up with concept models) maybe for a GT..........

ebolatheripe
26-10-2006, 18:59
That is a great idea.

I could see the characters being modeled by having a book open and the character model projecting out of it like a hologram or spirit or something, and the figure painted in light, low contrast colors, to give it an ethereal look.

druchii
27-10-2006, 05:04
ok, names changed :)

hmmm, adding another "book-beast" might be a worthwhile exchange for the dispel scrolls.

and yes, hopefully i will build this army (my brother is already coming up with concept models) maybe for a GT..........

You SO owe me for the encyclopedia :P

Maybe just a few pictures, instead?

Yeah, I've modelled a few books out of card and greenstuff, and I bet you could go ABSOLUTELY nuts with a 3"-4" gigantic book. I'd make it rather large, as I bet the daemon prince/exalted champ-sorc would just need SO much room to write ALL his scheming and spells down.

Definately vary the size of the books, while possibly adding lighter/darker colors and more ornage gold/silver banding to denote higher/different status(I see the "knights being very dark, with dark iron-ish bindings with a few gold bands for stark contrast).

I do strongly reccomend atleast four screamers. On those off occasions when you don't have anything worthwhile to throw them at (like a Bret army with no warmachines/peasants) the extra model will help with the combat, and it allows the unit to lose a model and still support one of your main units. It also adds another slashing attack!

d

Shaitan
27-10-2006, 10:20
Wow, the theme is great! Would love to see some models, or rather the complete army! :)

I really don't think you need 6 scrolls. Since you have 7 dispell dice I think 2 scrolls will do the trick. That saves you 100 points to be spend elsewhere.

If you want to cut your list down to 2000 points I would suggest dropping the following:
the "Encyclopedia de Demoniac" (225)
1 unit of "Possessed Librarians" (200)
2 "Swarms of Tomes" (280)
1 unit of "The Forbidden Texts" (235).
4 scrolls (100)

This will save you 1040 points and still leave you with 13 PD, 6 DD and 2 scrolls. This should be enough for a 2000 points game...

vampires are cool!
27-10-2006, 10:42
this is such a *********** cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you sir are made of win and awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reinnon
27-10-2006, 14:32
a 2000 point list for you to consider:

Lords

Tasrau’s Journal:
A truly evil book, the Journal of a great Champion of Tzeentch, Tasrau, after Tasrau’s defeat by the witch hunters this book found itself in the Library of Hergig, but the book contained the soul of Tasrau and through its power has possessed the Library and its dark texts, slaying all its path. The book is saturated with magic, and the will of Tasrau drives it giving it the ability to fly and attack.
Counts as a Chaos Lord
Mark: The diary is a powerful artefact of Tzeentch; it bears his mark
Equipment: The book can strike using powerful bursts of magic; it counts as being armed with a Halberd and a Shield. Due to the knowledge of Tasrau and the many spells inscribed within the book the Journal also counts as being equipped with a Staff of Change and a Golden Eye of Tzeentch.
Mount: Due to the sheer power of Tasrau’s spirit it cannot be fully held within the pages of the journal, taking the form of a dark halo of energy that allows the book to move at incredible speed, but significant damage can weaken this spirit. It is counted as being mounted on a Disc of Tzeentch
Total: 496

Heroes

Libra Demoniac:
One of the famed books of demonology, the library of Hergig was known to have several of these within its dark halls. Under the power of the Journal these books have become almost sentient, and now channel the power of Tzeentch.
Equipment: This particular book can channel a quick powerful burst in combat; it counts as being armed with a flail. Due to the words of power inscribed into the book it also counts as being equipped with 1 dispel scroll.
Mount: This book seems to have had a spell written into it that allows it to move at great speeds, it therefore counts as being mounted on a barded steed.
Total: 213

Libra Demoniac:
Equipment: This particular book can channel a quick powerful burst in combat; it counts as being armed with a flail. Due to the words of power inscribed into the book it also counts as being equipped with 1 dispel scroll.
Total: 213

Core

Librarians turned mad by the power of the Journal, they now swarm over all enemies, using whatever comes to hand as weapons. Due to the power of the diary they have a limited form of magic protection.

Tomes of lesser magic that can attack by throwing out a sudden burst of magic as they attack in a vast swarm. Their very presence increases the flow of magic in the local area giving the more powerful books greater means to cast their dark power.

The Forbidden Texts
These books are considered only slightly less dangerous then the feared Libra Demoniac, normally kept shackled under powerful magic wards in the darkest part of the library. With the Journal now in control of the library however, these books have been unleashed upon the world. The magic in them gives them great strength and speed, although they can’t manifest it in the same way as the more powerful books they are still a force to be feared

Bits of shelf, chairs and desks possessed by a dark intelligence, they have great speed and when they charge the many flailing bits of wood can do quite a bit of damage.

Special

3 Book-Beasts (Screamers of Tzeentch)
Total: 99

The result of children’s imagination gone wrong, nightmares warped into reality by sheer magical power, striking down the weak with powerful bolts of twisted thoughts

Power Dice: 13
Dispel Dice: 6
Dispel Scrolls: 2

Shaitan
27-10-2006, 14:36
I think this looks like a solid Tzeentch list, with a cool theme!

der_lex
27-10-2006, 14:44
Dude! You so have to model this army up!

Model? Just drop a pile of books on the table! You could even invoke a special 'any mini that gets squashed by a book counts as a casualty' rule :D

Seriously though, fun idea. The singular form of book in latin is liber, by the way. Liber Daemonica sounds a lot cooler anyway. ;)

Reinnon
29-10-2006, 13:17
wow, an effective army list on my first try :D

anyway, thanks for the comments all...now just to plan out how i'm going to model them all, might have to hit dollhouse supplers for the books.

hopefully you will see this army at a tourney soon, i'm planning to make it for a GT and doubles tourny next year.

Revlid
29-10-2006, 14:02
These two models might come in handy:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=73128/52A&orignav=13
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=73128/35C&orignav=13
Awesome list and theme, by the way.