PDA

View Full Version : New SKULL SM Chaplain on UK Sneak peeks

philbrad2
01-07-2005, 15:27
http://www.retribution40k.net/skullchappy.jpg

Much more of an improvement over last weeks offering, A BT too who'd have tohught it... :D

:chrome:

Lord-Warlock
01-07-2005, 15:32
Very nice indeed, now this one looks mean. And Chapter-customisable too.

taintedarchon
01-07-2005, 15:42
Yeah, this one is very nice indeed. The other one and the special character left me thinking only, "Blah." But this guy actually looks cool, and even a little creepy, which I like.

athamas
01-07-2005, 15:43
looking much better than some of the previos versions!

malika
01-07-2005, 15:45
You think the Skull head will be removable...I NEED THE SKULL!!!

MrAhrens
01-07-2005, 15:49
Though the handle could still be a bit thinner. It just looks too clumbsy to be used properly.

LostTemplar
01-07-2005, 15:51
I agree with th handle detail. But its a minor inconvinience. Chop'it and make a new one, if ye dun like it! :o

MrAhrens
01-07-2005, 15:53
I agree with th handle detail. But its a minor inconvinience. Chop'it and make a new one, if ye dun like it! :o
Yeah, I know. One can always use an older handle or the handle from the plastic standard bearer arm.

charlie_c67
01-07-2005, 16:00
A lot nicer than the Statue chaplin, still want a better pic of the special character one before I decide on him though. This one reminds me of an eversor :D A lot more like a chaplain should be.

Dreachon
01-07-2005, 16:04
This chaplain is just good, none of the older ones looked like this and those new didn't have the skull helmet, gonna have to get this guy.

Falkman
01-07-2005, 16:11
The skull helmet on this one really looks like a real skull, not like on those previous guys which had much more helmet-like skulls.

rkunisch
01-07-2005, 16:16
This one looks really nice. :D

You think the Skull head will be removable...I NEED THE SKULL!!!
Nothing the right tool cannot handle. :p

Have fun,

Rolf.

Unforgiven
01-07-2005, 16:42
now thats what a chaplain is meant to look like! Is it out yet?

Karhedron
01-07-2005, 17:07
Though the handle could still be a bit thinner. It just looks too clumbsy to be used properly.
They make them thicker than perhaps they should do in order to withstand the rigours of gaming without bending. Part and parcel of the "heroic" 28mm scale. ;)

This is definately the best of the Chaplains we have seen so far. My venerable 1st edition Chaplain may finally have found a worthy successor to lead my Death Company.

@Unforgiven: No this guy is a preview and is not out yet. My guess is that he will be released as part of the Black Templars range so probably around October/November time.

boogle
01-07-2005, 17:09
much much better than the previous effort

Antaeus
01-07-2005, 17:28
All-rightey! We are now officially cooking with gas :) Much more like it. Though I kinda like the current Chappy skulls, more stylised than realistic, but this is more than suitably cool as well :)

t-tauri
01-07-2005, 17:33
Now that's a chaplain. Easily the best of the three so far. Chaplain Lemartes remade by a sculptor with talent.

Avian
01-07-2005, 17:33
"Get down and boogie! Or I will hit you over the head with my crozious!"
Me like! :D

de Selby
01-07-2005, 19:00
Best so far. The first was nicely detailed but oddly posed, the second was dynamic but had oddly proportioned legs (once I'd noticed them I couldn't get over his tiny little legs, go have another look if you don't know what I'm talking about). This one is just good.

I'm still going to have to re-pose the legs to give him a jump-pack, mind you.

Brizzle
01-07-2005, 19:02
This is the good chaplain that I saw painted at the LA Battle Bunker weeks ago. Evan Lougheed had painted it, and it looked really sweet.

BTW, the skull is not removable, but it could probably be sawed off pretty easily.

Wimvh
01-07-2005, 19:10
Cool model!! He IS the daddy!

Although I really liked the stylised skull look on the Jes Goodwin Chaplains too...

Starchild
01-07-2005, 19:11
I bet that skull helmet would look great on a hooded Interrogator-Chaplain. Coming soon to a bitz box near you!

Yeah, I know. One can always use an older handle or the handle from the plastic standard bearer arm.

Have you ever tried brass wire? It's far tougher than normal wire. I use it to make unbreakable banner poles. For some reason the plastic ones have a nasty habit of snapping.

:skull:

EmperorsChamp01
01-07-2005, 19:13
For Emperor Sakes That would be great if that was the BT Hero. I love that model. Even Though I have Two chappys in my army now I think I can Make room for one more!!!!

Aenarion
01-07-2005, 19:14
A much better improvement on the last two, I wonder if they will have any more up on sneak peek? Or perhaps just release others over the course of other marine codex's coming out.

Creamy Goodness
01-07-2005, 20:05
Now THAT'S how a chaplain should look like, not some static statue of a bored-looking dude.

Bravo to whomever sculpted this one.

just
01-07-2005, 20:37
Why is that Necron wearing powerarmour ?

Malakai
01-07-2005, 21:00
I have been saving the top part of Asmodai's Crozius for just such an opportunity. It will look nice indeed in the hands of that Chaplain.

Malakai

Nkari
01-07-2005, 22:14
Have to agree with everyone else, this chaplain is _ALOT_ nicer than anything out there today.. or that god aful abomination that was shown earlier.. ;)

portentjunkie
01-07-2005, 22:57
Is it out yet?

Yes, they just put it in the sneak peeks section to fool the noobs. Can't put one over on you huh? :evilgrin:

Nazguire
01-07-2005, 23:48
:D Yah! A nice Chaplain with a skull head. It even looks realistic..well as realistic as is possible for a superhuman 7 feet tall priest of course. :D

I be yoinking this one! :p

Alpharius
02-07-2005, 01:36
:D Yah! A nice Chaplain with a skull head. It even looks realistic..well as realistic as is possible for a superhuman 7 feet tall priest of course. :D

I be yoinking this one! :p

Well, it is a lot better than the other two previews...

But...

(you knew it was coming!)

What is up with the weapon hafts on these new Chaplains?

And, it looks like he really needs to have his gun where his Crozius is...

So, even though this one is a lot better than the earlier previews, he still needs a lot of work.

NOT nice, for something that will be, what?, $12 - $15?

Nazguire
02-07-2005, 01:49
Well, it is a lot better than the other two previews...

But...

(you knew it was coming!)

What is up with the weapon hafts on these new Chaplains?

And, it looks like he really needs to have his gun where his Crozius is...

So, even though this one is a lot better than the earlier previews, he still needs a lot of work.

NOT nice, for something that will be, what?, $12 - $15?

Well they could make the handle thinner undoubtedly...however it would become notoriously evil and bend easily me guesses

Inquis. Jaeger
02-07-2005, 02:02
Gorgeous. I really like it. Much better than the standy one.

x-esiv-4c
02-07-2005, 02:24
Much better then the old chaplain, again I just can't get into the whole "Large haft" thing...screws up the scale.

just
02-07-2005, 02:29
OK, I am divided. I like the armour and the decorations and icons on it. Very fitting for a chaplain.

I am however in the minority (of seemingly one) about disliking the helmet. As a skull it looks good, but as a helmet it just doesn't work for me. I mean, if that is the powerarmour helmet, then that chaplain must have the smallest head in the entire ten millenia of recorded Adeptus Astartes history. He must have been the laughing stock of the 10th company, back in his young days.

I do like the paintjob on the right (our right) shoulderpad.

Its much, much better then the statue though and it will be ace if I can manage to decapitate him and give him a suitable replacement.

Randallw
02-07-2005, 03:41
Finally a Chaplain worthy of my Mortifactors. I may even be able to use it for a Commander.

oatish
02-07-2005, 08:21
Wow, best Chaplain I have seen yet. This means I must now start a Space Marine army. Ah well, I wasn't really kidding anyone when I was saying I wasn't going to start marines. At least I have have an awesome model as an excuse.

oatish

MrAhrens
02-07-2005, 09:07
They make them thicker than perhaps they should do in order to withstand the rigours of gaming without bending. Part and parcel of the "heroic" 28mm scale. ;)
Well I guess the chaplain could aslo use the handle as a weapon now, kind of like a "head-whacker". At least he won't damage the precious iconography. :p

Malakai
02-07-2005, 09:26
Umm, plastic spearmen survive the "rigors of battle" why can't a normal thin metal haft do the same? I don't buy that as the reason. There are many other examples of delicate GW minis. The new Wood Elves for instance don't carry tree trunks, they carry spears.

Apart from that gripe, as I said before, he is an awesome model. Anyone notice what looks like a robed Dark Angel-esque monk on his chest? Oh yeah, will fit right in as an Interrogator Chaplain.

Malakai

Falkman
02-07-2005, 09:28
I mean, if that is the powerarmour helmet, then that chaplain must have the smallest head in the entire ten millenia of recorded Adeptus Astartes history. He must have been the laughing stock of the 10th company, back in his young days.
That I agree on, itīs the only thing about the model that is not great.

panda
02-07-2005, 09:35
One thing that will happen to marines that probably won't to wood elves half as much- 8 year olds with pudgy, sticky fingers.

Keravin
02-07-2005, 09:44
The leg on this new chaplain is the bit that distracts me. Still waiting for them to release a new Chaplain I'll be happy buying.

Jaq Draco
02-07-2005, 11:34
i like it, its a lot more dynamic than previous incarnations

and could pass for a decent Lemartes too

New Cult King
03-07-2005, 23:31
Wow, his legs are actually the right length! I like this one... though I hope my eyes are deceiving me and there isn't a tooth missing from his grill...

inquisitorautry
04-07-2005, 03:51
... though I hope my eyes are deceiving me and there isn't a tooth missing from his grill...

There does appear to be a missing tooth. Either that or one heck of a gap.

Servo11
04-07-2005, 17:11
Still at least 2 more Chaplains coming: the helmetless one with the skull belt and the Terminator Chaplain. Exciting time for SM characters.

ghost21
04-07-2005, 20:17
im very tempted to start a marine army due to the new stuff that chaplin might just have swain me

Lord Setra
04-07-2005, 20:56
I like it, its much nicer than the other one that came out on the sneek peaks earlier.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-07-2005, 21:20
i like it, way better than the other one, but i'll probably get both of them nayways, along with grimaldus :D

Grey-Knight
05-07-2005, 03:26
hmmm, that tooth chip really stands out for me... i can't get over it... i don't like this model at all

mattjgilbert
05-07-2005, 16:45
An improvement on the last one but that wasn't hard. Still not wonderful and the weapon shaft is still too fat. At least there is a skull mask though :skull:

Alpharius
05-07-2005, 17:14
I didn't notice the chipped tooth before either.

Ugh.

I suppose its nothing a little greenstuff can't "fix", but, all of the new Chaplains appear to require a lot of "fixing".

This is not a good thing...

Kittah
06-07-2005, 06:59
Much better than the other one. This model I actually like, and rather a lot at that.

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 09:11
I think the chipped tooth adds character.

charlie_c67
06-07-2005, 12:42
I think people are judging it too much too early.

just
06-07-2005, 23:23
I think people are judging it too much too early.

I don't think so. It is a official sneak peak picture, and for all intents and purposes, its the official promo picture of him. Thank god for no photoshop effects.

However, it is my opinion that the chipped tooth probably just is painted on.For whatever reason.

Kiro
06-07-2005, 23:33
Oh man, get rid of that Crozius and I can see me making a new death-masked Blood Angels Commander :evilgrin:

Ravening Wh0re
06-07-2005, 23:53
Um, I think they are now trying to push the fact that the crozius isn't just a weapon, but that it's an icon of office. It has to look big and impressive. It's a sceptre, remember.

Notice that they painted it all marbled up, and looks very cool. It's just not a hurty metal stick anymore. The handle now looks heavy, valuable and stone-like.

EVIL INC
07-07-2005, 01:51
I very much agree that the new skull helmet is a great improvement. It looks much more... natural. Almost as though it is a real skull rather then "just a helmet".
The crozius does look like the handle is too "thick". It is positioned so that it could easily be cut off and a new one converted. I was going to suggest, grinding it down to be thinner, but after relooking, I see that that could be difficult.
The book on the hip is a good touch. They would definitely carry something with good quotes to use in battle.

The Inquisitor
07-07-2005, 03:41
very nice!

Wiseman
07-07-2005, 06:44
looks very nice, might get one if i have the money

Inquis. Jaeger
07-07-2005, 08:31
I'm getting one. Looking forward to the new blast of Marine releases, me!

The boyz
07-07-2005, 14:42
Wow that minature looks brilliant. Its starting to tempt me into to buying some Space Marines.

Ass Goblin
07-07-2005, 23:47
I'm happy. A huge improvement over the statue chappy. I will buy this chap once he's released. Most impressed.

Brother Muninn
15-07-2005, 01:12
There does appear to be a missing tooth. Either that or one heck of a gap.

It's good to know David Letterman's skull will be put to such a noble cause in the 41st millenium.

Honestly, this is the model I've been waiting for to use as a Jump Pack Chaplain for my Raven Guard. very dynamic, and the skull will be easy to convert to look avian. The only thing I can see as a problem is the Crozius arm's shoulder pad might get in the way of the pack.

stormtrooper154
16-07-2005, 11:28
i shall definately be getting him, he wont have a jmp pack though, i shall stick him with my vet squad

immortal99
21-07-2005, 15:41
Cool i see oportunities for an chaos word bearers here. i like the :skull:

sanctusmortis
21-07-2005, 16:22
Anything a Marine has trouble gripping in one hand is too big...

Apathizer
23-07-2005, 05:47
Notice that he is actually properly wielding his weapons for a right-handed person. Gun in the left hand, smack-stick in the right.

Have you ever tried to fight in melee combat holding your sword in your off hand? It just doesn't work. ;)

Tulkas
23-07-2005, 08:14
Notice that he is actually properly wielding his weapons for a right-handed person. Gun in the left hand, smack-stick in the right.

Have you ever tried to fight in melee combat holding your sword in your off hand? It just doesn't work. ;)
Have YOU ever been in a battle, in which situation you HAVE a pistol, and the SoB was still alive when you got to him? I think not :p

sanctusmortis
23-07-2005, 10:28
Only in RP games...

Tulkas
23-07-2005, 10:40
Damn you nerds! *goes off to meet friends for D&D session*

ssorck
23-07-2005, 12:48
Hmmm....

The first Chaplain was way too stiff, this one just seems to be posed....odd too me - just doesnt feel right...

Bloodthirster90
23-07-2005, 13:00
It all depends on your Point of View. I like it and i'm currently wishing i hadnt read the "Missing tooth" bit even if it had been painted like that, the mini looks worse. I liked it before i noticed that tooth...

anyway, it's better than a guardsman... :p

Sakura
23-07-2005, 13:42
I agree.
In the sneek peek section I was dissapointed in seeing a new jerk looking chaplin, but then they added this and I was like.
Oh, hes such a sweety.

Nazguire
29-07-2005, 21:52
@ Apathizer

Also, Marines are ambidextrous. It wouldn't matter if he had it in his left hand, right hand, or left foot. He'd be able to use it like he was born with it. Much like a chimp. :p

And as Tulkas says, you have a pistol that fires miniature rocket propelled grenades at the enemy, you won't need to hack him really hard to make him/her/it stay down :D