PDA

View Full Version : Turtling Dwarves

Mordu22
26-10-2006, 23:33
Since no one wants to post on my list, lets talk tactics

I plan on having a 20man squad of longbeards with shield and great weapons lead by Lordshield/shield bearers. Also in this group is BSB with MROF Grungi,
Stollinzi's rune, and ROF Courage. To each flank and a rank and a half foward are 15 man Ironbreakers full Comm, one with stanard with Courage, the other with courage and ancestor rune. This would allow all three units to reroll break test, and panic tests, on leadership 10, with +5 ward saves against ranged attacks and missles. AND be immune to terror and fear.

i plan on having iron breakers take on charges and have the longbeard swinginto there sides after the breakers stop em in there tracks. Is this to defensive? Im new and it seemed like it would be hard to destroy these squads so thought it would be decent. My full list is under army lists and would also appreciate input on that. Thanks!

NakedFisherman
26-10-2006, 23:53
Hammerers are better for a Dwarf Lord almost all the time. They're one point cheaper than similarly-equipped Longbeards and are Stubborn (and with the Lord they're Immune to Fear and Terror).

larabic
27-10-2006, 01:13
Use master rune of Challenge and a thane in the iron breaker unit to make it charge the iron breakers when you want.

Finn Sourscowl
27-10-2006, 07:32
Larabic took the words out of my mouth! Many opponents might decide to charge into your longbeards rather than the ironbreakers since there's a lot more easy VPs on offer there as your BSB has about 200 points of runes and only a 4+AS, even given the lord (what's he armed with, by the way?).

I'd go with what Naked Fisherman said, too. Maybe take a unit of Hammerers for the lord/BSB, a unit of Longbeards and a unit of ironbreakers to get the best of all worlds?

Turtling dwarfs like this is a good tactic, though. Good luck with it!

Latro
27-10-2006, 09:28
The big drawback of taking Hammerers instead of Longbeards (in this situation) is that Hammerers take special slots compared to the core Longbeards ... which means his defensive line uses all 4 special slots.

... and that's a pretty big drawback. He could use those slots for something like 4 Bolt Throwers and still have some serious artillery support.

Mordu22
27-10-2006, 14:49
Lord is armed with a great weapon with master rune of swiftness and two runes of fury. I would think that by keeping the ironbreakers slightly foward it would be possible to block off any charges that would require wheeling, so only straight on charges will get to the long beards, in which case booth iron breakers units would have flank charges next turn, which i think would discourage a unit from going straight at the longbeards. Or would the vps for the BSB be to much to pass up?

mfran00
27-10-2006, 15:36
a dwarf lord cant have a great weapon with swiftness on it. Both the Krag the Grim rune and Swiftness are master runes and you cant have both on the same item.

The alternative for the same effect is two runes and cleaving and master rune of swiftness.

Mordu22
27-10-2006, 16:09
There might be some miscommunication.. Is it alright for a lord to have a great weapon and no shield, with master rune fo swiftness and two runes of fury? i think that the shield bearer rune of stone for a +1 armor save is good enough with out a shield.

mfran00
27-10-2006, 16:20
No, the only weapon that can have a rune on it is a hand weapon. In order to enchant a great weapon, you have to first give it the Master rune of Kragg the Grim.

Hence why I said that two runes of cleaving and Master Rune of Swiftness is the next best equivalent.

Mordu22
27-10-2006, 17:05
No, the only weapon that can have a rune on it is a hand weapon. In order to enchant a great weapon, you have to first give it the Master rune of Kragg the Grim.

Hence why I said that two runes of cleaving and Master Rune of Swiftness is the next best equivalent.

OOOOO.....i missed that in my reading, Thanks!!