PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Special Characters .... the boys are back in town

philbrad2
01-07-2005, 15:37
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/1/

Red Terror
Old One Eye
Death Leaper - Lictor special character

Even a decent guide on converting and modelling your own 'Death Leaper'.

"Lions, Tigers, oh my !" :D

:chrome:

x-esiv-4c
01-07-2005, 15:49
Oh sweet! Nid players rejoice!

Wait a sec, whats "rise of the swarm" campaign?

athamas
01-07-2005, 15:49
that death leaper has given me ideas,

using simular parts, make your own lictors out of nid warriors box +extras, same yourseld ~3 and get a big weapon spru free...

you could get alot more poses with plastic, and they would look far more in keeping with the army having warrior bodies!

Lord-Warlock
01-07-2005, 15:53
Very nice indeed.

I was asking myself that same question - a Canadian online campaign, apparently, and looking mighty well designed I might add. Shame the nids won.

Puffin Magician
01-07-2005, 16:04
How long has it been since the new Tyranid Codex was released? And why aren't these in it? It's not at all like these are new units that needed playtesting or anything like that. If they wanted new rules, why not put them in the Codex. If not, what are they doing here? This seems like brainless planning or stupid laziness. Did somebody just not bother to get them done in time, or did they want to sell the shiny new book and couldn't wait to put everything inside?

I'm sorry, but the expediency in which this has happened takes the rules from a "oh thanks for these extras, GW" to a "why didn't you finish the Codex you nitwits?". They should make up their minds about what they're going to put into a Codex and not change their mind a month or so after and need pages of errata, FAQ, and other useless junk that should've been ironed out and included in the Codex before the first one was delivered.

It is nice that there are now updated rules for them, but the GW site is not the place for them. Tyranid rules belong in the Tyranid Codex.

Dreachon
01-07-2005, 16:13
There not even updated, those are the ones from the old codex, I quite dissapointed by GW on this one.

Brimstone
01-07-2005, 17:02
These were never intended for the codex, the whole point was that Nids are a faceless horde with no "characters" and two of them were reabsorbed back into the hive-mind to provide reasons for new biomorphs/rules in the current codex.

Some people may not have the old codex and so not have access to the rules for them (and for the Death Leaper (except maybe Canada) they have never been available).

So I congratulate GW for making these available when the didn't need too.

ArtificerArmour
01-07-2005, 17:43
what you guys dont appreciate is the space needed for these rules. same with the guard codex, there was no space for these characters to be included.

if anything, GW want to eliminated these characters, but no wanting to offend those who had the old figs, brought out the rules for them via the interweb.

the leaping guy was probably a conversion they decided was coolies and made some minor special rules for it. i think its a nice gesture of GW, who seem to be alot more in tune with gamers than they have been over the last few years.

Ubik_Lives
01-07-2005, 18:17
I'm sure in GW HQ it went a little something like this:

"Let's remove the Nid Special Characters from the new codex. Given the nature of the Nids it doesn't make sense for the Hive Fleets to create one off creatures. This army is about the faceless swarm, not heros rising above the pack. Just give the carni more options and they won't mind.

*months later*

Something isn't right....I can feel it....But what?

We're still selling the Tyranid special characters! Quick, throw their rules up on the web!"

Well, that's probably not what happened. I do see they've been pulled from the UK online store, but not the US. Though it will help to move those last few models from the store shelves.

I think it's just GW giving Nid players a little bonus in the form of hobby rules. I didn't see any CA stamps on it to make them tornament official or anything, but then again, I'm too lazy at the moment to go back and check. It's really early.

highmarshaldave
01-07-2005, 18:28
To be fair, you can effectively make Old One Eye as it is with the new 'fex. The other two are just a glorified glorified ravaner and a beardy lictor. . . why?

de Selby
01-07-2005, 18:50
Well it's nice to be able to use the Terror model as it was intended. It still follows the old Ravener movement rules, which will be odd.

I don't really havea problem with GW doing it this way. Old One Eye would have had to be re-worked or replaced to fir with the new codex, and GW have just decided they don't want to suport nid SCs any more. The rules are for the benefit of anyone who still has the models and wants to use them; releasing them on the website is exactly the right thing to do.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
01-07-2005, 20:38
So is this Chapter Approved? I am confused. It says things like, "Death Leaper may be fielded as an Elites choice along with the normal allotment of Lictors in any given Tyranid army."

Antyrael
02-07-2005, 00:35
If I collected tyranids, I don't think I'd take any of them (although the red terror is pretty good points-wise). It's good to see that they're legal again at least.

Antyrael

hivefleetcarrion
02-07-2005, 00:37
i wouldnt bother playing for death leaper...nice conversion and little story, but i dont see the point. i have the red terror and im quite happy using it a a larger ravanger

Nazguire
02-07-2005, 01:00
Now what would be good is if the Red Terror and the Ravener had their rules updated to be pulled in line with Codex: Tyranids. That'd be better.

Kudos though GW for balancing the force by re-releasing the rules for Red Terror, Old One Eye and Death Leaper. :)

blitz589
02-07-2005, 05:07
I have a red terror and a OOE, the red terror os better as a ravener, and OOE is way to cheap.
To kill OOE you need to inflict 4 wounds on a T6 4 wounded model, which could stand back up on a 4+.

Nazguire
02-07-2005, 05:43
I have a red terror and a OOE, the red terror os better as a ravener, and OOE is way to cheap.
To kill OOE you need to inflict 4 wounds on a T6 4 wounded model, which could stand back up on a 4+.

Simple, use a Force Weapon if your Marines...Nemesis Force Weapon for a Grand Master if your Daemon Hunters...ummm and now I don't know... :rolleyes:

byteboy
02-07-2005, 06:03
By comparing the both Red Terror and Old One Eye in the 3rd Ed book and this online document, I have 2 good things out of this.

1) They now no longer have prerequisites to use (meaning no points buffer)! This is soooo cool!
2) I would pay the points cost to have a Carni auto regenerate one wound at the end of every Nid turn instead of rolling a 6 for each lost wound anyday of the week (plus he can get back up w/1 wound on a 4+! ). His cost is reasonable and me thinks I will be using my unused MC Nid bits to scratch build me an Old One Eye ^^ ;

Ubik_Lives
02-07-2005, 07:11
By comparing the both Red Terror and Old One Eye in the 3rd Ed book and this online document, I have 2 good things out of this.

1) They now no longer have prerequisites to use (meaning no points buffer)! This is soooo cool! ;

Hate to burst your bubble, but those restrictions are still there. Up the top...First thing on the page...In bold...

Jaq Draco
02-07-2005, 11:21
mmmmmm more gribblies

hmmm Death Leaper sounds interesting

byteboy
02-07-2005, 11:26
Hate to burst your bubble, but those restrictions are still there. Up the top...First thing on the page...In bold...

POS GW :cries:

The Dragon Reborn
03-07-2005, 08:42
did OOE go up in points, i dont have the codex around but wasnt he 160, now he is 199? just wondering, and i am probobly wrong.

Wiseman
03-07-2005, 10:17
death leaper looks like a cool conversion

Scythe
03-07-2005, 12:24
did OOE go up in points, i dont have the codex around but wasnt he 160, now he is 199? just wondering, and i am probobly wrong.

Yes, he has. But that's understandable since all carnifexes have received a pts increase. Very nice to put the rules up, but the red terrors movement is a little bit odd in 4th edition, as is OOE regenerate. They could simply have brought those in line with the new rules in my opinion.

Jaq Draco
03-07-2005, 14:23
after reading every character, i have to say Death Leaper is nothing special

just seems a bit lame, im not trying to be a troll here

but seems like the red terror and old one eye, have a lot more well for want or a better term, it has a lot more meat on the bone, both rules and fluff wise

Death Leaper just pales in comparision

Scythe
04-07-2005, 08:35
That's because OOE and the terror were acctually written, tested and designed for the 3rd edition codex, while the Leaper is just a Tyranid made to give a bit more flavour to a campaign.