PDA

View Full Version : Dauntless Class and carrying capacity

Forgotmytea
01-07-2005, 17:29
Hi guys,

I'm currently *trying* to write a story about a group of rogue traders heading to an Imperial colony to sell the archeotech they've found. But, as they head back, they find a solitary Genestealer has infiltrated their ship. So, in true Predator-style, it picks them off one by one. Anyway, before the mods move this to stories and art, the true reason for it being in background will be revealed :p. What I need help with is this: What ship can carry around 25 men, while still having a nice amount of room for ambushes by the 'Stealer, etc. etc. :confused: I thought first of a Dauntless, but that might be a bit too small. So, what kind of Imperial ship can carry around 25 crew members, with some corridors etc. left over? :chrome:

Thanks!

Forgotmytea

malika
01-07-2005, 17:30
Dauntless is good enough I think...Even a fighter would be ok since those things are as big as a Boeing 747.

Karhedron
01-07-2005, 18:17
Ships in BFG are kilometres long with crews of thousands, think Star Destroyer scale and you are probably in the right sort of ballpark. Even a Dauntless is pretty huge.

Something with a crew of only 25 would probably be no bigger than a Cobra at most a maybe smaller still. Remember that Rogue Traders might not be travelling on dedicated naval vessels. They would most likely have their own ships equipped for their needs which could include range and cargo but not necessarily heavy combat.

My advice would be to make up your own ship class. The ones in BFG probably just aren't appropriate. Even the little transport ships can carry an entire regiment of Imperial Guard.

Bmaxwell
01-07-2005, 18:21
yea even the figthers are fregin huge! one of them is bigger the a boien i think fighters acuattly or mabye its bombers has a small command deck

correct me if im worng

Lord-Warlock
01-07-2005, 19:30
I'd agree with Karhedron, make up your own ship class. It could still be typically Imperial-sized, but most of the crew could be mindless servitors. Avoid the Eisenhorn trap, though, and keep your navigator and astropaths (mostly) organic.

Emperor's Light
01-07-2005, 19:34
I think Imperial warships are all plenty big for the purpose you need it. A Dauntless has a crew of far more than 25. I recall Andy C supposedly said in BFG that it's about 1000 crew per hull point.

What's ideal might be a freighter, or maybe a fast transport will fit a rogue trader better. These ships are ideal because of a lot of empty cargo holds for the genestealer to lurk in.

athamas
01-07-2005, 19:46
i would go with fast freighter,

a dauntless is a cruiser, light admitedly, bust still huge!

a cobra is ~1Km long, so something that big would be much more likely...

x-esiv-4c
01-07-2005, 21:10
A freighter would suit your purposes way better, you won't upset Fluff-junkies.

Minister
02-07-2005, 13:06
Either that, or place the crew on a large shuttle running in-system. The crew are heading back to rondevous with their main ship, which has made the trip to one of the other worlds in the system for re-supply.

Delicious Soy
02-07-2005, 15:00
I'd probably say a Rogue Trader of frigate size or less woul be almost appropriate. I'd say most Rogue Traders are heavy on the automation and don't require masses of gunnery crews and ratings to run the ship.

Phunting
02-07-2005, 17:33
Although even a frigate I think is too big for the type of thing intended. I think a civvie freighter is indeed what you are after.