PDA

View Full Version : Recreating the war of the Beard

Ratchet
27-10-2006, 13:02
Some friends and I are going to be recreating some of the battles of the War of the Beard of the next coming months, Culminating in ahuge 10000 point battle (all fully painted :D).

The sides are going to be 4 x 2500 point Dwarf armies, vs 3 x 2500 point High Elf armies, and 1 x 2500 point Wood Elf Army. I will be taking the wood elf army.

I can guess that 2 of the dwarf armies will be maxxed out on shooting, and the other two maxed out on melee troops. One of the HE armies is all cavalry, and they other is a Seagaurd force, the third being a balanced, infantry/cavalry force.

I was posting this to really ask what you think the "role" of the Wood Elf army in group should be. Should I concentrate on Archery, cavalry, skirmishers etc to best help out the HE armies.

adreal
27-10-2006, 13:05
I think archery, eternal guard and wardancers, steer away from any forest spirit units (they weren't used back then) and to be fluffy u should have access you high magic instead of athel loren

Aenarion
27-10-2006, 13:07
Also WD produced some rules/army lists for this war awhile ago. (dragon riders!)

Chiron
27-10-2006, 13:07
Make sure theres no gunpowder for the dwarves, or zepplins...

jansenm
27-10-2006, 14:38
Make sure theres no gunpowder for the dwarves, or zepplins...

are there even rules for zepplins?

Jedi152
27-10-2006, 14:40
are there even rules for zepplins?
No, but there have been 6th ed. Elf and Dwarf lists for War of the Beard.

Griefbringer
27-10-2006, 17:22
Yep, the War of the Beard lists were first published in WD, and later on in Chronicles 2003. Rather powerful stuff for both sides.

As for wood elves, they did not exist back then, at least not in the form presented in the wood elves army book - which represents what came out of those few elves who stayed in the Old World after the War of the Beard and retreated to the depths of the forests.

So either the wood elf list could be used to represent some of the more rural elven colonists in the Old World, but this would require restricting them quite a lot - glade guard and glade riders would be fine, but most of the other units are too "touched" by Athel Loren to be really workable - the same for spites and most of the kindreds and other weird stuff.

Another option would be to treat the wood elf models just as high elves in rustic clothes, and use the high elf list for them.

Arhalien
27-10-2006, 17:37
The sides are going to be 4 x 2500 point Dwarf armies, vs 3 x 2500 point High Elf armies, and 1 x 2500 point Wood Elf Army. I will be taking the wood elf army.

I didn;t think you could have Wood Elves in war of the beard.

Garazdraki
27-10-2006, 17:43
War of the Beard-Rules

English Rules :
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/dwarfs/gaming/warofthebeard/introduction.htm
http://uk.games-workshop.com/dwarfs/war%2Dof%2Dbeard/

German Rules :
http://www.games-workshop.de/warhammer/voelker/zwerge/artikel/bartkrieg/index.shtm

Rathgar
27-10-2006, 17:51
Griefbringer’s right there aren’t any wood elves at this point. The closest you have a Elven colonists and they’re nothing like contemporary wood elves, especially Asrai (for those of you that are aware that other types of wood elf exist).

The colonists are concentrated mostly in cities, but the old world was heavily forested, so they quite possibly already had a preference for ’woodland’ iconography and colours. In game terms Spearman and Archer units painted in greens and browns with distinctive banners are your best bet.

ss_cherubael
27-10-2006, 17:57
use the rules from WD they were quite good, and yeah take WE's as counts as or the whole thing would be thrown out somewhat by the time jump