PDA

View Full Version : HE army for RTT

misfire67
27-10-2006, 22:08
I am participating in my first RTT in 2 yrs (flying to St Paul Minnesota from Pennsylvania)...able to mix pleasure with a business trip...yay.

The reason for the post..it has been a long time as far as seeing what is out there as far as army composition. I usually go balanced with my High Elves...meaning a little of this and a little of that.

For example:

2/10 archers
1/20 spearelves
1/5 silver helms
2 chariots
1/20 swordmasters (banner of sorcery)
1/5 shadow warriors
2 RBTs
2 eagles
1 prince on steed (vembrances of defense, blade of sea gold)
2/lvl 2 mages (dispel/seer on one and dispel/ring of fury on the other)

I am doing this by memory but I beleive this is 2150 pts...I might be slightly off.

This is what I used to use in tournament play. I had slightly better then a .500 record but had lots of fun.

I guess what I am asking is..are there more power gamers nowadays and if so , how should I adjust my list? All advice is welcome.

Thank you for your comments in advance.

misfire67

misfire67
28-10-2006, 16:27
Does anyone have any comments/opinions either positive or negative? It would be truly helpful. Thank you in advance.

misfire67

eldrak
28-10-2006, 23:36
Don't give in to peer pressure when designing your army (ie take a boring army just because you expect maximized opposition).

However HE are so expensive that trying to do a jack of all trades army is just going to make you sub par in all areas. Find one central thing and focus most of the rest of the army to support that thing.

TKitch
29-10-2006, 06:41
2/10 archers
1/20 spearelves
1/5 silver helms
2 chariots
1/5 shadow warriors
2 RBTs
2 eagles

One change I'd make, but would keep the 'feel' of your army, is to trade a unit of Archers for another unit of Shadow Warriors and bump them both up to 6 or 7 (whichever you can.) Scout, Skirmish and 360LoS makes them a lot more valuable on the table, and you'd only lose a couple of shots at most.

Otherwise I like the 'elven' feel of your list :)

Dogskills
29-10-2006, 11:12
Don't give in to peer pressure when designing your army (ie take a boring army just because you expect maximized opposition).

However HE are so expensive that trying to do a jack of all trades army is just going to make you sub par in all areas. Find one central thing and focus most of the rest of the army to support that thing.

I must say that I disagree HE are a jack of all trades army imo. Yes they are expensive but that does not mean that they cant function, you just have to be more careful than say Empire players.

misfire67
29-10-2006, 20:37
One change I'd make, but would keep the 'feel' of your army, is to trade a unit of Archers for another unit of Shadow Warriors and bump them both up to 6 or 7 (whichever you can.) Scout, Skirmish and 360LoS makes them a lot more valuable on the table, and you'd only lose a couple of shots at most.

Otherwise I like the 'elven' feel of your list :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment. I agree with your sentiments about the extra unit of shadow warriors. I never gave it any thought before. I could do 2 units of 5 but would be unable to go higher. I only have 10.

With the extra points I could give the Silver Helms the Lion Standard and maybe give my Prince a longbow. Thank you for the advice!!

misfire67

Ciaphas
30-10-2006, 11:30
Hi there,

In my book, High Elves are quite good. I have played against them for years with my Orcs and Goblins, and have received a sound thrashing every single time.

Their magic is wicked and their knights can realyl dish out the pain. I find that Silver Helms are very efficient at what they do, especially when backed by at least two solid regiments of spearmen. Archers, on the other, are best left at home.

In my experience at least that is...

Ciaphas

Urey360
18-11-2006, 07:55
yes it seems that HE archers royally blow...but my hope for games is that my opponent doesn't know that...anyway, i dunno if it is legal but i have tricked out a Prince with helm of fortune, armour of protection, foe bane, with the elven steed with ithilmar barding and a shield...if i am correct this gives him a 2+ As which i can reroll if failed and if that fails i have a 4+Ws and which can wound enemy characters on a 2+... i've tried to make a character that can get into close combat, kick some butt and not die....what do you guys think?

Fhoen
18-11-2006, 10:06
try give the silverhelms the banner of ellyrion... nobody expects a knight unit to come trough the bushes :)

smileyface
19-11-2006, 14:09
i dunno if it is legal but i have tricked out a Prince with helm of fortune, armour of protection

It's not legal. Only one magic armour per character, and here you have two. You could drop both and take the vambraces of defense with heavy or dragon armour for the same effect at less cost though.

Glorfindel
21-11-2006, 14:28
Actually in the book it states that the Helm of Fortune confers a 6+ armour save which can be combined with other equipment normally.

EldarRaven
21-11-2006, 14:57
It's not legal. Only one magic armour per character, and here you have two. You could drop both and take the vambraces of defense with heavy or dragon armour for the same effect at less cost though.

Helms, Armor, and Shields are all Armor that you can have. You can combine them as long as it saids that you can and since Glorfindel read it it looks like you can. I would open the rule book and read about magic armor some more to make sure there isn't anything else.

23-11-2006, 00:03
I am participating in my first RTT in 2 yrs (flying to St Paul Minnesota from Pennsylvania)...able to mix pleasure with a business trip...yay.

The reason for the post..it has been a long time as far as seeing what is out there as far as army composition. I usually go balanced with my High Elves...meaning a little of this and a little of that.

For example:

2/10 archers
1/20 spearelves
1/5 silver helms
2 chariots
1/5 shadow warriors
2 RBTs
2 eagles

I am doing this by memory but I beleive this is 2150 pts...I might be slightly off.

This is what I used to use in tournament play. I had slightly better then a .500 record but had lots of fun.

I guess what I am asking is..are there more power gamers nowadays and if so , how should I adjust my list? All advice is welcome.

Thank you for your comments in advance.

misfire67

I played my first tourney back in September. The indy circuit seems to favor 2250 pts.

My list looks like this:

Archmage, lvl 4, Staff of Solidity, Ring of Fury, Seer, Dispell Scroll
Mage, lvl 2 Seer, Channeller, Silver Wand
Commander, barded steed, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armor, Helm of Fortune (this was still 6th edition), Pure of Heart

18 Spearelves + Warbanner (still not sure how well this combo is working for me)
10 Archers (I'm considering swapping to 7 Shadow Warriors for reasons given above, i.e. more versatility.)
3 x 5 Silver Helms armor, shields, musician only

10 Swordmasters with a Bladelord only (flankers for the spears)
2 x chariots
5 x Dragon Princes with Banner of Sorcery and either FoeBane or Amulet of Purifying Flame on the Drakemaster
2 x Eagles
2 x RBTs

Based on my experience with my list, I have the following reactions to your list:

* 2 units of archers is commendably characterful, but a poor use of points IMO. Combined with 5 Shadow Warriors, that's too many points in feeble Str 3 attacks.

* Too little cavalry. Movement and Str 5 attacks on the charge will serve you better and give you more tactical flexibility. With list the way it is, I would suggest you'd be better served by an archmage and 2 level 2's or a lvl 2 and a commander on foot. Maybe give that Bladelord the Blessed Tome.

You might consider dropping those Swordmasters down to 15 and dropping one or both archers and get the DP's or another unit of SH. Put the Banner of Ellyrion on the DPs to maximize the threat zone of their 18" charge range. Place them in a forest or behind with one model peeking out the side and you can seriously ******** up your opponents movement options. You could give a foot commander a magic bow to add to the hail of shooting as you wait for them to come in.

I'm still figuring it out. HE definitely is less forgiving of mistakes.

enyoss
23-11-2006, 00:38
Helms, Armor, and Shields are all Armor that you can have. You can combine them as long as it saids that you can and since Glorfindel read it it looks like you can. I would open the rule book and read about magic armor some more to make sure there isn't anything else.

I don't think you can combine them I'm afraid. The Helm of Fortune doesn't specify that it can be used with other Magic armour so it can only be combined with mundane. It's still a great item though :).

Cheers,

enyoss

Highborn
23-11-2006, 01:15
You can combine the helm with other equipment normally.

Normally means combining with mundane equipment for a greater save. It does not mean combining with magical equipment.

dec_legolas
23-11-2006, 04:40
Other people would say that many archers aren't that affective, but i think if you use the curse of arrow attraction on a unit and fire both at it, you will usually cause a panic test.

Fhoen
23-11-2006, 08:50
I played my first tourney back in September. The indy circuit seems to favor 2250 pts.

My list looks like this:

Archmage, lvl 4, Staff of Solidity, Ring of Fury, Seer, Dispell Scroll
Mage, lvl 2 Seer, Channeller, Silver Wand
Commander, barded steed, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armor, Helm of Fortune (this was still 6th edition), Pure of Heart

why are u giving a lvl 4 archmage the seer skill??? totally unneccary... gve him another dispel scroll imho then cus a tourney army mostly has 2 dispell scrolls as u don't have that much dispel dice i think:eyebrows: