PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a slann mage priest or oldblood on carnosaur?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
28-10-2006, 01:54
I was thinking which lord choice i should get for lizardmen, I like the carnosaur model but I think it'll get shot to bits by cannons and the like. So I was thinking about the Slann, I'm not sure, could anyone advise me what to use?

fracas
28-10-2006, 02:05
y not both?

play the slann when you want to play magic
play the carnosaur when you want more combat power and anti-magic (Sacred spawn of tepoc)

metro_gnome
28-10-2006, 02:12
go frog!
i'd use the kroak model... hes uber cool...

Dtrik
28-10-2006, 02:15
Both are great choices which is one of the reasons why everyone loves lizzies! At 2k, both a slann and an oldblood on carnosaur are HUGE point investments though but they can really be game winners. It all depends on your style of play (and of course which models you like). Keep in mind though, oldbloods are quite lethal even without a carnosaur, maybe on a cold one if you still want a little mobility and its much much cheaper. You don't have to make a huge point sink lord like a slann or carnosaur, but they are really fun:D

Griefbringer
28-10-2006, 08:52
With lizardmen, do you really need a lord choice? The old blood might be a mighty killing machine, but he really does not make for an impressive general (same Ld as normal saurus), and makes for a huge cannonball magnet.

Slann would be useful for the leadership and BSB, but he should also be expected to draw a lot of fire. Besides, being of little use in close combat, you would become very reliant on his magic, considering the amount of points invested.

ardude
28-10-2006, 11:04
Slann, I am tired but the rest here will convince you :p

maze ironheart
28-10-2006, 11:22
I was thinking which lord choice i should get for lizardmen, I like the carnosaur model but I think it'll get shot to bits by cannons and the like. So I was thinking about the Slann, I'm not sure, could anyone advise me what to use?

I would say go for the slann if it is a 2000pt army simply because he has good leadership and if you put him in a unit of 20 temple guard your opponent will have a hard time destroying them due to being stubborn.I play as lizardmen myself and i usually take a slann give him a despellscroll and a power stone then i take 20 temple guard with fullcommand and shields and they do pretty good.

Gekiganger
28-10-2006, 12:30
I would say go for the slann if it is a 2000pt army simply because he has good leadership and if you put him in a unit of 20 temple guard your opponent will have a hard time destroying them due to being stubborn.I play as lizardmen myself and i usually take a slann give him a despellscroll and a power stone then i take 20 temple guard with fullcommand and shields and they do pretty good.

20 temple guard and a slann in a 2k point army? What next, make him 2nd Gen?!

I say go for a 4th (IIRC that's the one that ignores miscasts no?) and put him in a block of saurus with a scar vet or old one. March 'em down the middle of the field (take DPOP and PoT, perhaps even CHOTOO if you really want to put more points in and perhaps mirror shield on the saurus hero with the unit) that form a lot of points but they can usually grind away at anything they encounter, especcialy with flankers (Even small units of skinks that only chage to null rank bonus).

Tutore
28-10-2006, 13:45
I would choose neither, but in case, I'll go for the carnosaur.

Griefbringer
28-10-2006, 15:49
they can usually grind away at anything they encounter, especcialy with flankers (Even small units of skinks that only chage to null rank bonus).

It is quite difficult to nullify enemy rank bonus with skinks - at least if they are of the ordinary skirmishing sort.

ardude
28-10-2006, 16:41

I say go for a 4th (IIRC that's the one that ignores miscasts no?) and put him in a block of saurus with a scar vet or old one. March 'em down the middle of the field (take DPOP and PoT, perhaps even CHOTOO if you really want to put more points in and perhaps mirror shield on the saurus hero with the unit) that form a lot of points but they can usually grind away at anything they encounter, especcialy with flankers (Even small units of skinks that only chage to null rank bonus).

deffinetly make him second generation slann.
only 1 out of 5 opponants ( or less) has killed my slann, so I simply won all the other battles.
if eh doesn't get your slann he simple doesn't win.
and LD 9 + re-roll of bsb and the lowest 2 of 3 dice wins games!

English 2000
28-10-2006, 23:30

Oh how I LOOOOOVE facing people that use the "all your eggs in one basket" strategy.

Step 1) Remember to bring some D. Scrolls
Step 2) Avoid, avoid avoid
Step 3) Destroy the support
Step 4) Surround and Pound

I've seen so many people take one huge hammer unit. It rarely works against a skilled general with a balanced army.

That's why I love fantasy. Tactics can overcome just about anything.

If you have to take a big lord go for the cani riding lizard.

Personally I think dropping the carnosaur and taking more troops is better.

But that's just me, I rarely push the character envelope because characters seldom win games for me, and are rarely the reason I lose.

Gekiganger
28-10-2006, 23:38
Oh how I LOOOOOVE facing people that use the "all your eggs in one basket" strategy.

Indeed, hence the reason I don't think a unit of 20 temple guard is worth it in 2k point games, the example above was IF he wanted a character that cost more than his house :p

Still, point sink units are good in really high point games (5k+)

druchii
29-10-2006, 08:01
I'd say "cool" wise, go the slann.
Functionality (can such an expensive unit function well?) I'd go with the carnosaur mounted old blood.

Why?

I've rarely seen a good slann army. Most people forget that they MUST construct their list around the slann, or it wastes their points. I think the carnosaur could be a HUGE threat to alot of armies. With minimal support he can be very dangerous to even huge blocks of ranked troops.

and besides, what's cooler? A frog on a rock, or a gigantic lizard on a dinosaur?

I know which I'd chose.

d

Gekiganger
29-10-2006, 08:28
I've rarely seen a good slann army. Most people forget that they MUST construct their list around the slann, or it wastes their points. I think the carnosaur could be a HUGE threat to alot of armies. With minimal support he can be very dangerous to even huge blocks of ranked troops.

I say the same but about the other. Your general goes plumeting to the floor like a bat out o' hell as every weapon is targeted at him, giving away a large amount of Vp. Slann on the otherhand stay alive 7/10 times and cause massive destruction due to being able to take a whole lore or mix and match between them.

and besides, what's cooler? A frog on a rock, or a gigantic lizard on a dinosaur?

Didn't you just say you'd go with the slann 'cool' wise? :confused: :wtf:

ardude
29-10-2006, 08:57

Step 1) Remember to bring some D. Scrolls
Step 2) Avoid, avoid avoid
Step 3) Destroy the support
Step 4) Surround and Pound

I've seen so many people take one huge hammer unit. It rarely works against a skilled general with a balanced army.

That's why I love fantasy. Tactics can overcome just about anything.

If you have to take a big lord go for the cani riding lizard.

Personally I think dropping the carnosaur and taking more troops is better.

But that's just me, I rarely push the character envelope because characters seldom win games for me, and are rarely the reason I lose.

it's indeed easy when you're playing against a player who's not that great with his army, but when I play with my slann army you won't have much seport units left as I will cast lotsa small magic missles, have salamanders on a flank and 30 skinks on the other who are all skirmishers and hidden.
when I play against more shooting my units hide behind the skinks.

don't think it's simply bringing dispel scrolls and you win, you need alot more to stop the magic of a well played slann ;)

and the slann isn't as much as a gamble as other troops, he's stubbern LD9 with the lowest of 3 dice, with a re-roll.
and you can't simply avoid him as he also does alot dmg when you stay away

maze ironheart
29-10-2006, 11:02
I would say temple guard are worth their points they hardly ever run from a fight and with them protecting the slann your lord is not gonna die that easy.Useing his leadership of 9 being stubborn and being WS4 S5 2 attacks having them 6 across you gain a totol of 13 attacks now thats a unit i would say it may cost a lot of points but i think its worth it.

fracas
29-10-2006, 11:05
what i meant was that essentially you are talking only two models, a slann or a carnosaur rider
and game wise they are about the same # of points
so get both, paint both, and play either or and see what works best for your style