PDA

View Full Version : Rebels with a cause - Project Soul Drinker.

philbrad2
28-10-2006, 11:08
Well, looking at my minis shelves the other day my eye was drawn to my Imp. Fist army. Started around the time of 4th ed release/Codex SM's and part finished. IIRC BIMSTONE also started an IF force about the same time and last time I heard they were languishing ppart finshed also. I'd done a 5th co Captain, full command squad, a few Vet Sgts and a 10 man sqaud the remainder of the force (about 2000 pts) lay either in white primer or with a yellow basecoat.

Primary problem with the IF scheme is to do do decently its taking an obscene amount of time as my method requires multiple thin yellow layers to build up a colouration.

My once SM biased armies have now dwindled down to my Space Woofs only. BA have been shelved pending their codex re-do when they'll re emerge as a BA successor chapter. And I feel like doing a characterful SM force rather than a plain 'out of the box' founding Legion/chapter.

OK Soul Drinkers. Been a fan of the books since they came out, as a player with leanings towards 'bad guy' armies I decided to make the Soul Drinkers have a foot in both camps.

I intend to build them to be fielded as either a pre or post Excommunicatus force. I was thinking of using them as a codex chapter with some traits refelcting that they are an assault orientated force as in the books. Assault squads, pistol/CCW equipped tactical units. Drop pods and light armour. My IF's are giving up 2 multirole Rhino/Razorback/Whirlwinds for the project (currently being stripped) I've a Dread for stripping and I've a couple of speeders I can use. I've also a good few unbuilt bikes (about 6) I can add to these guys

As to the post Ex Communicatus/Renegade force, to reflect the fact the SD's are rebuilding slowly and vets are rare(ish) I thought of perhaps fielding them using Black Templar rules. Mixed squads, little armour whilst still keeping the fast assault theme the chapter is recognised for. Biggest drawback to this is the fact BT's don't use Psykers and Sarpedon as Chapter leader is a gifted Librarian. My other thought was to use them as a Chaos Undivided force but without the 'Chaosy bits'. As a Iron warrior player of numerous years I'm used to fielding a Chaos force without reliance on Daemons and Psykers. But this might seem a bit uncharacterful. Any thought on traits I could use for a post Ex Communicatus SD force using Codex: SM's?

I also plan to add some of the characters from the books to the squads in their post Ex Communicatus format. Sarpedon with get his spider legs (prolly represent him as on a bike) I've a converted 2nd ed Tigurius from my IF's to represent him and a spare one in my bits box as a base for the spider Sarpedon.

Started on a couple of test minis last night using black and white basecoats to see what they came out like. Black basecoat is complete and as soon as my digicam batteries have recharged I'll post a pic.

Might get GRIFFONGAMES (http://www.griffongames.com) to get me some Soul Drinker chapter icons decal sheets made up to give the force a unified look. Luckily thanks to Dawn of War, I have some quite decent artwork for the icon that could be used.

Essentially the painting process is black undercoat. Liche purple/purple ink basecoat. 1st highlight lishe/warlock purple 50/50 mix and a final highlight of warlock purple. Keeping the highlights to a minimum (on rank & file guys) gives them a nice dark rich purple. Bone trim and details are graveyard earth with a bleach bone , bleached bone/white highlight. The white undercoat has a couple of thin layers of Liche purple on him - but I've run out so I need to go and get some today :D

Any ideas on traits for the force or ideas on using an armylist for this force?

I'll post the pics of the test minis later.

PhilB
:chrome:

WanderingRogue
28-10-2006, 11:44
I considerd this theme before - and came up with the CSM List (word bearers por vanilla)as best for post excommunication. My ideas were as follows:

primarily troop orientated chapter with majour loses and not much ordinance used (so word bearers gives you less elite, fast and heavy for more troops)

Unit of scouts- csm with move through cover and infiltrate. Thier 3+ save can be represented by the precient neophyte(i forget his name), stick a flamer in there (the other psykic scout in the books) and a few other options to round em out.

other units- normal csm units tailored to suit the characters - gravius(sp?) would have deamonic stength and a huge hand.

mark of chaos undivided- means there brave but (due to dwindling numbers) wont hold at all cost and risk their lives needlessly if the goining gets too hot.

Serpedon - is a monstrous creature deamon prince if ever i saw it (maybe in friendly games let him take the "fear of the dark" power)

Chaplins (give em cursed arcanium)

You could even stick telios and his squad(befor they went awol) as a elite bezerker unit.

And pretty much all other stuff it strait codex, if u use pred etc just dont make em chaosy.

||-MARKO-||
28-10-2006, 12:58
great idea! always loved the drinkers, ill be following this one. id advise using the word bearerers list, just dont use the models. are you gonna make them before their excommunication or after?

philbrad2
29-10-2006, 13:42
Right to work. Obtained the Vallejo equivalent of GW's Liche purple (Hexed Lichen) and also a bottle of their Royal Purple which is a slightly bluier purple. Also Vallejo Model colour Ivory this is an excellent shade for highlighting bleached bone that features on the scheme.

Test no.1

http://www.retribution40k.net/SD/Pa300107.jpg

This was done in the following way.

Black undercoat
Liche purple base coat
Purple ink wash (50/50 mix ink/water- Klear Floor Polish mix)
basic highlights with Warlock purple.

The trims/parchments

Graveyard Earth
Bleached bone
Bleached bone/white highlight
Final highlight of white

Second test subject.

http://www.retribution40k.net/SD/Pa300109.jpg
http://www.retribution40k.net/SD/Pa300110.jpg

Flash on the camera has made these images look a lot brighter than they are in normal daylight. This scheme is a bit more bluer in tone. This was done this way :-

White basecoat.
Royal Purple
Purple ink wash (50/50 mix ink/water- Klear Floor Polish mix)
Basic highlight with Liche purple/Royal purple.
Final highlight of Liche Purple.

Both tests were done fairly quickly I might try a further ink wash on test 2 to help with the 'stepping' of the highlights. The camera makes them out to be quite stark 'steps' in colour. I'll be doing the final minis far more tidily as well. Might blackline the areas between armour plates or possible do a purple/black ink wash after the base colour is applied to help pick out the details.

http://www.retribution40k.net/SD/Pa300105.jpg

I'd also started on a couple of my ex-IF vets using the second technique as a start. These were done somewhat more carefully, although they do require another wash over the purple to unify the highlights so far applied. Might try a Warlock Purple highlight on these to see how it looks against the bluier basecoat. This Warlock Purple works excellently on the Liche Purple base coat but may prove a little to red for this scheme.

Having had a look at the Soul Drinker artwork on the booK covers I'll use the weapons casing to help denote ranks to. Whit will be Chapter officers (Librarians/Capt/Chaplain.) Half purple/white for Vets/Sgts and purple for troops. I was also thinking of using the left kneepad as the squad id (I to X). Characters/vets will have a Soul Drinkers Chalice on their armour besides the chapter icon. Also workign on a Chief Apothecary using the old metal command sqaud Apothecary using the Chalice from the BA's Corboulo model. Anyone have any other parts references for Chalises they know of? I'm definitely going to be looking at getting some Chapter icon decals made up. Did a test icon on the vet in test 1. Its come out ok but is time consuming to get right. I have thought about using the SoB's Chalice decal on them. Might try this on test 2 and add some gold to the decal once dried on.

Still working on the rules ideas for these guys. I was looking at a few traits including "Blessed be the Warriors' (assault squads as ELITES and FAST ATTACKS) and "Take the fight to them" (Tactical units may use pistols and CCW's) or conversely "Trust your Battle Brothers" (Command/Vet/Assault/Tactical/Dev. squads get True Grit and Counter-attack. For Drawbacks I was looking at "Flesh over Steel" (restricts Armour choices) and "We Stand Alone" (no allies)

I considered this theme before - and came up with the CSM List (word bearers por vanilla)as best for post excommunication. My ideas were as follows:

primarily troop orientated chapter with majour loses and not much ordinance used (so word bearers gives you less elite, fast and heavy for more troops)

Unit of scouts- csm with move through cover and infiltrate. Thier 3+ save can be represented by the precient neophyte(i forget his name), stick a flamer in there (the other psykic scout in the books) and a few other options to round em out.

Hmmm I like this ...

other units- normal csm units tailored to suit the characters - gravius(sp?) would have deamonic stength and a huge hand.

mark of chaos undivided- means there brave but (due to dwindling numbers) wont hold at all cost and risk their lives needlessly if the goining gets too hot.

Serpedon - is a monstrous creature deamon prince if ever i saw it (maybe in friendly games let him take the "fear of the dark" power)

Yes I had a flick thorugh Codex:CSM theres plenty can be done with Sarpedon in his post-Ex Comminicatus form

Chaplins (give em cursed arcanium)

You could even stick telios and his squad(befor they went awol) as a elite bezerker unit.

And pretty much all other stuff it strait codex, if u use pred etc just dont make em chaosy.

Excellent advice cheers. I might we have a good look at this.

More piccies to come.

PhilB

Mrlemonjelly
29-10-2006, 15:00
I like the first scheme better. The second ones just look like Ultramarines, to me.

BodhiTree
29-10-2006, 15:39
I do like the first model more, but black-lining would look nice on this scheme. Keep it up, man. :)