PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2k - 2nd gen slann - first time I've done one so please help!

EndlessBug
29-10-2006, 14:23
LORD

Slann mage-priest

- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Diadem of Power
- Cupped hands of the Old Ones
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Sun standard of Chotec

(with 6+ however many spells I cast power dice for him alone (maybe +2 due to diadem) this guy can pump out pleanty of spells)

HEROES

Skink Priest
- lvl 2
- 2 dispel scrolls

(hope I get d3 re rolls, these will come in useful for the slanns magic!)

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Gleaming pendant of chotec
- Mark of Tepok
- Mark of Quetzl

CORE

10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

11 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields

19 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Champion

SPECIAL

3 Kroxigor

5 Chameleon Skinks

3 Terradons

RARE

3 Salamanders

TOTAL : 2000 pts

Power Dice : 8
Dispel Dice : 6
Dispel Scrolls : 2

Ok, so I've never used a slann before, thought why not make a list, see if I can try one out. 2nd generation was just too tempting, and those temple guard are just mean (especially with BSB). And yes the Scar veteran goes into that unit too, making it one mean ass block.

With a 4+ armour save and a 5+ ward save against missile fire I doubt they'd lose much at all, getting in close and using that gleamin pendant of chotec if I get charged means I'll be hitting with at least 4 str 7 attacks and 9 str 5 attacks before retaliation, Ld 9 and stubborn with re-rolls, not much will break 'em.

I know it's an all eggs in one basket army, but I rarely field those types so here's a go, the supporting units should be able to deal with most other skirmishers and pests.

Not too sure about having the Kroxigor though, think they are worth it? or should I get some jungle swarms? or more terradons? skinks?

Gekiganger
29-10-2006, 14:40
Lose the chamelion skinks and perhaps the kroxigors and get 1 or 2 units of saurai to flank the mage priest. Getting charged in the flank isn't fun and you could use more than 1 RAF unit.

EndlessBug
29-10-2006, 14:48
ok so i drop the krox and chameleons and a dispel scroll?, giving me a unit of 20 saurus with full command.

sound ok? not enough pts for another RAF unit.

Gekiganger
29-10-2006, 14:53
1s better than non. Have the salamanders take the other flank and you should fare much better.

Musician isn't worth it for the Saurus btw unless you're only taking it because you have the model.

EndlessBug
29-10-2006, 15:17
LORD

Slann mage-priest

- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Diadem of Power
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Sun standard of Chotec

HEROES

Skink Priest
- lvl 2
- dispel scroll
- Curse charm of Tepok

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Mark of Tepok

CORE

10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

13 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields

19 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Champion

20 Saurus Warriors
- standard
- champion

SPECIAL

3 Terradons

RARE

3 Salamanders

Better? I added some more skinks to the shielding unit also, now 4 need to be killed to cause panic on ld 9. Also dropped the quetzl on scar vet in favour of curse charm of tepok, just to add further defesive magic capabilities.

Nanozzo
29-10-2006, 16:29
No one can break your slann unit but non one will engage voluntary angage it in hth!
It's great rissk not to use that unit except for slann spells

EndlessBug
29-10-2006, 16:50
yea, that's one of the theories, it has so many points in the unit itself that if they dont break it they will struggle to win.

the unit will be worth almost 1000 pts, thus only really offering 1000 pts available to the enemy. I just fear pit of shades like mad!!!! that spell would slaughter this unit.

ardude
29-10-2006, 17:19
LORD

Slann mage-priest

- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Diadem of Power
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Sun standard of Chotec

sun standard isn't necassary, if you want a standart take totum of profercy.
and vs shooting a skink unit is alwais beter.
when playing a slann army jsut hold ur temple guard unti back a litle, and don't put em right infront of otehr atilery, don't spend hundreds of extra points on items as you already lost so much

HEROES

Skink Priest
- lvl 2
- dispel scroll
- Curse charm of Tepok

not needed, you pay 150 pts for a re-roll spell that you have a change of 33% to get it.
he's useless trust me.

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Mark of Tepok

cool guy, same items I normaly field my scar vetren with

CORE

10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

13 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields
take ten, easyer to manouvre.

19 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Champion

20 Saurus Warriors
- standard
- champion

SPECIAL

3 Terradons

I don't like them, if they can actually do something vs the enemy than he targets 1 shooting unit of 1 magic missle at them and they are fleeing, and if you keep em clsoe to your slann they are useless anyway.
beter get more skinks.

RARE

3 Salamanders

make 2 of em, more manouverable, easyer to hide in terain, and won't be so much victory points that ur opponant will really hunt them down ( and can just as easily kill flankers etc)

Better? I added some more skinks to the shielding unit also, now 4 need to be killed to cause panic on ld 9. Also dropped the quetzl on scar vet in favour of curse charm of tepok, just to add further defesive magic capabilities.

k that gives:
40 for banner slann
50 cupped hand of the old ones
145 for the priest
65 for the salamander
105 for the terradons.
18 pts for 3 skinks

423 points to play around with.
when I look at the list I'm missing kroxigors, the only thing you can do vs knights is 1 scar vetren, and you also don't have any flank untis for ur sauruses ( handfull when an "all eggs in 1 basket" unit is in clsoe combat with ur temple guards, as they will survive for long, not the entire abttle on their own)

so I would take either 2x3 kroxigors
or 1x3 kroxigors and 1x5 cold one knights ( my personal choise)
you would have like 75 pts left.
get rid of the scout abilety of 2 unit skinks, + get rid of the champions in your saurus blocks ( 2 or 3 attakcs doesn't really matter) and/or 1 or 2 temple guard .
to get 2 new units of skinks.

in that army you have around the same support units.
less magic items
and 2 extra kroxigor/cold one knight units!!
and you have less magic defance but 40 sacravicable skink units and against VC or other amgic ehavy armys you could alwais store PD in ur dadium

EndlessBug
29-10-2006, 18:16
LORD
Slann mage-priest
- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Dispel scroll
- Battle Standard Bearer

HEROES
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Mark of Quetzl

CORE
10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

10 Skink Skirmishers
-javelins and shields

10 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields

19 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Champion
- Musician

24 Saurus Warriors
- Standard
- Champion
- Musician

SPECIAL
5 Chameleon skinks

3 Kroxigor

RARE
2 Salamanders

TOTAL : 2002 pts

Ok, so I got rid of the skink priest, managed to wiggle in the tepok on scar vet so as not to lose magic defense, also my slann now has no diadem, but a dispel scroll instead (im too fearful of that pit of shades spell!). I dropped the terradons and a salamander, including the banner of -1 shooting in favour of a unit of 3 kroxigor and 5 chameleon skinks.

Von Wibble
29-10-2006, 18:38
First time I used lizardmen I had an army like that and was slaughtered.

Reason - fear. Your temple guard and slann will take one look at a well timed charge from an undead general, and hand the game to the opponent on a plate.

You have by my count 6 power dice. Even with 2nd generation rules that's only 3 spells (if 2 dice are put into each - that of course assumes no attempts at spells of power level 11 or more). At least 1 and more likely 2 of these will be dispelled (my high elf army tends to have 6 dispel dice and 2 scrolls minimum). 400+ pts for 1 spell per turn (and chances are not your best spell either) - not a choice I would take.

I just don't see 2nd generation being worth the points at this size of game.
A canny opponent will avoid the unit unless he has a tactic that will kill it (like fear). He will kill the rest of the army. Unless you throw the temple guard into the fray. But then a good opponent will use his numerical (at least in terms of number of combat units) advantage to attack a flank. It is a huge contradiction to have an expensive wizard in an expensive unit. To have teh slann safe you waste the point spent on temple guard. To have the temple guard fightnig you risk losing the unit and the game.

Therefore if you must take a 2nd generation, don't take temple guard. Take a unit of 20 Saurus and a couple more units of skninks instead. Some skinks will be assigned the role of mage protector - they block charges from non flyers and their ranged attacks willl kill flyers that aren't expensive monsters if they get too close.

ardude
30-10-2006, 17:57
LORD
Slann mage-priest
- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Dispel scroll
- Battle Standard Bearer

HEROES
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Mark of Quetzl

CORE
10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

10 Skink Skirmishers
-javelins and shields

10 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields

19 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Champion
- Musician

24 Saurus Warriors
- Standard
- Champion
- Musician

SPECIAL
5 Chameleon skinks

3 Kroxigor

RARE
2 Salamanders

Ok, so I got rid of the skink priest, managed to wiggle in the tepok on scar vet so as not to lose magic defense, also my slann now has no diadem, but a dispel scroll instead (im too fearful of that pit of shades spell!). I dropped the terradons and a salamander, including the banner of -1 shooting in favour of a unit of 3 kroxigor and 5 chameleon skinks.

first list was beter.
24 is simply to big for saurus warriors, and the dadium is 1 of the ebst items and you get rid of it.
camelion skinks completly suck to my opponion ( 15 pts for a skink ?!?!)
get rid of the camo skinks, the 4 extra saurusses, some mucisions ( and maby some temple guard, 16 is enough for me) to get an extra unit of kroxigors/cold one knights.
if you don't like that I would get a unit fo 5 terradons ( I personally don't like them but they seem to be allright to other players)

( why doesn't the scar vetren have mark of tepok, but quetzl instead?)

EndlessBug
31-10-2006, 01:55
ok, so I re-adjusted it, now the saurus units are lessened, allowing a skink priest (I'm sorry I just love chameleon skinks (going anywhere they like, though a bit weak to magic missiles), also one of my opponents fears them so it's great, he'll do quite a bit to get rid of them)

(only had enough points for quetzl not tepok so i lost those 5 pts... changed again now)

LORD
Slann mage-priest
- 2nd generation
- Plaque of Tepok
- Diadem of Power
- Battle Standard Bearer

HEROES
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Light armour
- Shield
- Great weapon
- Mark of Tepok

Skink Priest
- Level 2
- dispel scroll

CORE
10 Skink Skirmishers
- scouts
- blowpipes

10 Skink Skirmishers
-javelins and shields

10 Skink Skirmishers
- Javelins and shields

15 Temple Guard
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Champion
- Musician

20 Saurus Warriors
- Standard
- Champion
- Musician

SPECIAL
5 Chameleon Skinks

3 Kroxigor

RARE
2 Salamanders

think 10 skink skirmishers is better than 5 chameleon skinks?