PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts elves for tournament- is this the way to go?

Wodan.BR
29-10-2006, 20:55
Hi guys,

After a long year of studying and working, finally i'll getthe chance to play again.. and for the first time under the new rules.
I've set up this new list- kind of simillar to the last one I played minimizing magic.
Please, give me some feed back on how it looks:

Characters
Commander
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield
Helm of fortune
Pure of heart
heavy armor
ithilmar barding
Elf steed
He rides with the second unit of silver helms

Commander-BSB
Battle banner
Elf steed
Heavy armor
Ithilmar barding
He rides with the first silver helms

Mage
Level 1
2 dispell scrolls

core

First Silver Helms (9)
musician, standard bearer, captain, heavy armor, shield
lion standard

Silver Helms (9)

Silver Helms (5)

Silver Helms (5)
musician,captain, heavy armor, shield

Special

Shadow Warriors (6)

Dragon Princes (5)
Drakemaster, musician, standard
Banner of arcane protection

Ellyrian Reavers
spear, musician

Rare
Great eagle (2)
RBT (2)

Thanks for any comment!
PS. especially on if this list is still legal at 7th edition

Reinnon
29-10-2006, 22:24
enchanted shield can't be combined with magic armour anymore

GoWoodys
29-10-2006, 22:40
swordmasters?

Wodan.BR
29-10-2006, 23:36
enchanted shield can't be combined with magic armour anymore

Thanks for the bad news:(
I guess i'll exchange it for the talisman of protection... guess the reroll from the helm is more worthy than the 0Armor save from the shield.

Thanks a lot

Wodan.BR
29-10-2006, 23:36
swordmasters?

Actually I don't have any swordmasters...

enyoss
30-10-2006, 00:17
I would make the units of nine Silverhelms smaller. Now you need five across for rank bonus once you take a single casualty the back rank is effectively wasted. Use any spare points to make the Dragon Princes up to six or seven.

Also, where were you planning on putting that Mage? With the proximity rules for characters out of the window in 7th edition he will get greased pretty quickly if he's not in a unit.

I must say that I'm not too keen on the list, but then I am a fan of High Elf infantry. I find Silverhelms without characters quite ineffectual and I'm not sure if the characters you have can dish out enough damage to make your units particularly dangerous.

Cheers,

enyoss

Tutore
30-10-2006, 11:22
I´m also an infantry fan, although I recognize cavalry does best in many occasions. I would also avoid the ranks for cavalry since a single kill would let you lose the bonus.

eldrak
30-10-2006, 12:28
I would reduce one or both of the large SH units to include some chariots. Also i would think there's better banners than the one the DP's are currently having.

enyoss
30-10-2006, 12:29
Just another quick comment on your Commander. If you are going to get rid of the Enchanted Shield maybe you could also get rid of the Sword of Might? This then gives you 25 points with which you can get the Guardian Phoenix. Give him a Halberd and you've still got the S5 initiative order attacks but with a 2+ re-rollable save followed by a 5+ ward. In my experience this guy is really (and I mean *really*) durable. It's a bit of a pity you can't get S6 from a great weapon anymore but, oh well :)

Cheers,

enyoss

Wodan.BR
30-10-2006, 13:01
Thanks a lot for the comments.
@ enyoss In my first games with cav i really missed at least one big unit of silverhelms to get more front impact, besides the little support units. I'm considering removing the second one, two at least beef up the main unit to 11+commander, maybe letting the other commander ride with the dragon princes.
Suggestion about the commander taken... it sounded really good! (of course it'll envolve some conversion work)
@ tutore i'm working in beefing up one of the SH units so i don't have this problem with losing the rank bonus so fast.
@eldrak I don't know.. i think i just have never had any luck with the chariots... i'm passing in them because of that. About the banner: i'll face some chaos and undead armies... i guess it wont hurt having some extra punch

i'll post a reworked list very soon, guys.
Thanks again

Wodan.BR
30-10-2006, 13:25
Ok, this is the new list.. i'm a bit afraid of keeping too many eggs in the same basket, though...

Characters
Commander
Helm of fortune
guardian phonix
Pure of heart
heavy armor
ithilmar barding
Halberd
Elf steed
He rides with the dragon princes

Commander-BSB
Battle banner
Elf steed
Heavy armor
Ithilmar barding

Mage
Level 1
2 dispell scrolls

core

First Silver Helms (11)
lion standard

Silver Helms (6)

Silver Helms (6)

Silver Helms (5)
musician,captain, heavy armor, shield

Special

Shadow Warriors (6)

Dragon Princes (5)
Banner of arcane protection

Ellyrian Reavers
spear, musician

Rare
Great eagle (2)
RBT (2)

EndlessBug
30-10-2006, 14:57
personally I don't see the point in the RPT's, sure they're great but they will only cause a few shooting casualties before you plan to get into combat, i'd drop them both and boost your cav units to 6/7 and get another unit of reavers.

enyoss
30-10-2006, 14:59
Now, that looks pretty good to me! Some may complain about magical defence but, well, you can't have everything.

I have but one further suggestion. With their high leadership your Dragon Princes can operate quite well by themselves. If I were you I'd give them the Standard of Balance instead. That way, with their long movement, they can get round flanks a bit and won't let you down when you really need that flank charge against a Feared enemy.

Also, if your Silverhelms get bogged down by a Stubborn unit, getting the Dragon Princes in a flank with the Standard of Balance removes the Stubborn ability -> no more unit :). I'm always surprised at how effective this is as many players use Stubborn as a reason to not worry about flank charges.

Cheers,

enyoss

Wodan.BR
30-10-2006, 19:31
@endless bug
The rbt's are there because i really don't like heading to the battlefield without any long distance weapon, and they usually work well for softenning units or hitting those damn hellblasters before i'm torn into pieces by them.
@enyoss
I'll give it a try.. i still have some weeks before the tournament.. will try the lista and see what happens...

thanks at you all

Prince Sairion
30-10-2006, 22:17
You will be a hated man!!! Have you not read the rants about all cavalry HE lists?!?!?!

Anyway, working on the proviso that the mumblings and annoyances of others are immaterial to you, hows about a dragon!?!

I played a list like this a while ago, minus BSB, with the prince on dragon and two level 2's. Worked nicely. The dragon takes all the shooting, then you heal him with a lore of life spell that I can't be bothered to look up.

Just a suggestion, otherwise it's all good.:)

Wodan.BR
31-10-2006, 01:10
You will be a hated man!!! Have you not read the rants about all cavalry HE lists?!?!?!
Just a suggestion, otherwise it's all good.:)

I don't have a dragon yet.. it would probably be interesting in the list though:D

I'm not so worried about being hated.. i mean... some of the other armies have things like an empire gunline, and an isanelly fast slaanesh demonnete army...
I figured that cheesing up a little would be the only way to at least have some fun : guess we're all a bit of cheese addicts:cheese: :angel:

Wodan.BR
03-12-2006, 23:34
Hi, guys.

After a long time, finally today, I played the tournament...
It was kinda small (although still a quite good number for brazil) - six people, and I managed to be 3rd.
The list was a bit changed from the last one i posted (i figured i didn't have the number of sh's to make it), so here is the list I played:

Characters
Commander
Helm of fortune
guardian phonix
Pure of heart
heavy armor
ithilmar barding
Halberd
Elf steed
He rides with the dragon princes

Commander-BSB
Battle banner
Elf steed
Heavy armor
Ithilmar barding

Commander
Talisman of protection
Great eagle
Reaver Bow

Mage
Level 1
2 dispell scrolls

core

First Silver Helms (11)
lion standard

Silver Helms (5)

Silver Helms (5)

Special

Shadow Warriors (6)

Dragon Princes (5)
Banner of ellirion

Ellyrian Reavers
spear, bow, musician

Rare
Great eagle (2)
RBT (2)

After the games i noticed something... no matter how good +1d6 is in combat resolution... a BSB with no magical items is a waste of points.. he has a tendency of getting killed way too often.

So, after today's experience i tweaked a little more the list and would like to know your opinions about them:

I dropped the BSB, and in his place added:
+1 SH in every SH unity
+1 Shadow warrior

Upgraded the commander on eagle to:
Prince on eagle, bow of the seafarer, armor of protection

How does it sound?

Teach
04-12-2006, 14:19
The prince is ok but give him some other hardware. The new list is still a lot differend. The RTB's don't really fit in it. Maybe some chariots? I'm of to my capoeira practice. Cheers