PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts: Where to Start?

NaT
30-10-2006, 00:21
So I've decided i want to control the undead. I already own a unit of skeletons, Necromancer on foot, Vampire on foot and 2 Fell Bats (i know i need 1 more to form a unit). What else should i look at getting for, say, a 1k point army to start off with?

I know i either want to go Von Carstein or Blood Dragon, but since this will be my first realy WHFB army, i have no idea what really needs to be included.

fracas
30-10-2006, 01:14
probably a unit of black knights

greymeister
30-10-2006, 02:21
To start out, you'll need two necromancers (on foot preferably although you can mount then and still hide them in units). After that you might want a thrall but know that vampires are optional until you reach 2k points. I'd have a box of zombies to raise some because they're easier to raise. I think two 20 man units of skeletons and your characters are a good way to start. After that, try out some grave guard and knights and you should be good to go to 2k. You might want a version of your type of vampire on horse so that you can put him with your knights, but the von carstein on foot can still keep up with them in wolf form.

metro_gnome
30-10-2006, 02:40
gouls... get gouls...

NaT
30-10-2006, 03:29
Well, how does this look for 1000 points?

Heros
Necromancer
- Level 2

Necromancer
- Level 2

Vampire Thrall
- Shield
- Heavy Armour
- Master Strike

Troops
20 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

21 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

6 Dire Wolves

Special
4 Fell Bats

6 Black Knights
- Barding
- Command

Total: 999 Points

zakk_wylde001
30-10-2006, 09:59

Heros
Necromancer
- Level 2

Necromancer
- Level 2

Vampire Thrall
- Shield
- Heavy Armour
- Master Strike

Troops
20 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

21 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

6 Dire Wolves

Special
4 Fell Bats

6 Black Knights
- Barding
- Command

I usually max out on magic items with my characters and take 2 units of 5 dire wolves for my flanks. Thats around 1k points and it usually works well for me. Your list does seem quite good though, maybe you do need some items to boost your magic phase

vampires are cool!
30-10-2006, 10:23
drop the knights and go for more infantry. you might want to increase the amount of dire wolves thou - both options have stood me in good sted

fracas
30-10-2006, 11:31
you have two good blocks of infantry as is to hold the line and one unit of cav to attack with (along with an assist fron flanking wolves)
this looks great for 1000 pts

you can always raise new skellies during the game

Scythe
30-10-2006, 12:29

Heros
Necromancer
- Level 2

Necromancer
- Level 2

Vampire Thrall
- Shield
- Heavy Armour
- Master Strike

Troops
20 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

21 Skeletons
- Musician
- Standard

6 Dire Wolves

Special
4 Fell Bats

6 Black Knights
- Barding
- Command

Looks like a very solid list to me. Definitely keep the knights, they add some badly needed punch and high S attacks to your army. The only suggestion I would make is to try if you can sneek in a dispel scroll. Always usefull to stop that one spell that can ruin your battleplan.

ham2525
31-10-2006, 01:05
Okay some problems with your list.

1. One of your Necromancers or Thrall will need to take Nehekhara Noble Blood to be the general.
2. The vampire would be better dropped in favour of more troops.
3. Instead of 1 unit of Wolves have maybe 2 units of 5 wolves which might be better.
4. Th Knights are a bit of a points sink at this number of points. Same with the Bats. It may be wiser to pick up some ghouls (very good with poisoned attacks) or more troops.

At that low point range you can't really field a whole lot of big expensive troops. If you want, yo can use a small unit of Grave Guards as a hard hitting unit. Also you may want to Take out one of the skele units and replace them with zombies which are less of a point sink and a much better meat shield.

Just my 2 cents

Ham2525

Scythe
31-10-2006, 06:51
Okay some problems with your list.

1. One of your Necromancers or Thrall will need to take Nehekhara Noble Blood to be the general.

Huh? Nehekhara Noble Blood is a Necrach bloodline which gives you a magic level. It isn't required to be the general (and not to mention it isn't even available to necromancers).

Jedi152
31-10-2006, 07:46
Huh? Nehekhara Noble Blood is a Necrach bloodline which gives you a magic level. It isn't required to be the general (and not to mention it isn't even available to necromancers).
It is required if you want a thrall to be a general - in fact it is the only way that a thrall can be the general.

A necromancer doesn't need it, and indeed, can't be given it.

Scythe
31-10-2006, 08:37
Naturally, but he already has 2 necromancers in his list, no need to get a Necrach thrall to act as your general.

I think it is wasted on a thrall anyway. People might think a vampire general is way better, but in the end, a Necrach thrall is only a T4 2W model with no armour save, and no defensive options if you take the bloodline. In essence you are paying way too much for +1WS and +1T on your general, which is not going to keep him alive anyway.

vampires are cool!
31-10-2006, 13:01
admittidly it does matter what your playing. i know some empire and dwarf armise that would eat this list quite happily. against others this list would be unstoppable.
as a rule of thumb, i always go for infantry - i like them better, im an infantry commander at heart.
but the list is solid, with its weaknesses and strengths

ham2525
31-10-2006, 22:40
Whoops. Sorry, meant it was needed for thralls.

Ham2525