PDA

View Full Version : Urban War Metropolis

Wing Commander
30-10-2006, 17:08
Keep your eyes peeled for this forthcoming game, if you like large combat walkers (think Space Marine Dreadnoughts, but cooler) or think that AT-43 looks good, you ain't seen nothin yet! The CLAU's are amongst the best large scale figures I've ever seen, when you mix them with the existing range you'll have a stunning army, if the game matches the imagery I think they've got a winner.
I've had a sneaky peak at a few advance pictures of the forthcoming miniatures and believe me when I say that they are frothy awesome!
I will try and post some photos soon, watch this spot.

The Judge
30-10-2006, 17:40
This sounds pretty good. Pics would be sweeeet

Smokedog
17-11-2006, 10:34
I stumbled across the website yesterday, I have been keeping my eye on Urban war. They really started as VOID as you know, but that venture failed.

It seems they have started with a necromunda type game, (individulas, not squads) with some pretty nifty rules. Now they have that base they are expanding to make the game more squad based (hmmm 40k skirmish). I think there ultimate goal will be do make a system like 40k (as it is now). Would be interesting to see...

Back on topic, yep those concept sketches a very nice, i wonder if the minatures will be the same.

Luke
17-11-2006, 10:36
You should all sign up on the UM forums. There is a lot of discussion going on there atm. I'm Chubbawubba BTW.

jazzdude78
17-11-2006, 16:31
Im kinda on the fence with this one
as UW just wasnt the same as Void (yes yes ones skirmish ones not etc)
Void was just such a dang good game, even if it was just 40k with d10s and alternate activations
My expectations are maybe just too high, plus the legion was rather crap in UW
I do look forward to the shock rules coming into the main set though

firestorm40k
17-11-2006, 16:40
I own two unpainted Void armies - Viridian & Junkers: the new Metropolis CLAU releases may tempt me to dig them out and finish them off!

Having said that, I've only just bought my first Urban War team (some Syntha), so watch this space...

Luke
19-11-2006, 13:35
I have decided to get back in the swing of things for metro and painted a second special forces guy for my Viridians.

Here is the force so far. I've got two shockmarines and a 5th colonial marine on the painting tray atm.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC01485.jpg

Going to build a desert gaming board using the sand series buildings from here (http://www.miniaturescenery.com/SeriesPage.asp?Code=SH)

warsmith si
19-11-2006, 14:48
Going to build a desert gaming board using the sand series buildings from here (http://www.miniaturescenery.com/SeriesPage.asp?Code=SH)

They have some awesome stuff on there! Prices in GBP are cheap too as is postage to UK surprisingly! :D

Great stuff :D

MAD MAN-A-TRON
20-11-2006, 01:20
any links to the website or pics maybe?

Luke
20-11-2006, 07:59
Yes, click on the word "here" in my previous post.

jazzdude78
20-11-2006, 15:57
or he means the metro pics
www.urbanmammoth.com

GreatRedGobbo
20-11-2006, 20:17
mmmm... interesting this game interests me because I have completely lost my love for 40k because the rules for it are fair too bland and boring in my opinion. I have a unit of the legion guys painted just because I liked the minis.

What do you guys who have played both 40k and this game think of it?

Luke
20-11-2006, 20:24
The rules for metro aren't out yet. Couldn't say, but if it's anything like VOID and UW then we are in for a right treat! Just finished two shock marines for my metro army btw and started work on a bazooka team.

Pictures soon!

GreatRedGobbo
20-11-2006, 20:56
I realize that comparing urban war, which to the knowledge is necromunda like, to 40k is a bit odd, but would you consider the system for urban war better in regards to 40k? I am asking this because I really love the sci-fi genre, but the 40k rules leave much to be desired IMO.

Luke
20-11-2006, 21:02
Well we (my club) play UW for our sci-fi fix. I know what you are saying and it is futile to try and compare UW to 40k, but what I will say is this:

I feel that Urban War is a far superior and appropriate set of rules than 40k. It is far more fun and it really gives you a feeling that you are in control of actual warriors instead of just tokens being pushed around. It's also more cinematic and open to more memorable moments than 40k. The tactical aspect of UW is far beyond that of 40k, there is so much to it it would take about 20 minutes to write my bit again. I did write a bit about the tactics of UW up in 40k general forum in the "dice rolling" 40k bash thread but everyone called me a hater :D

their loss.

edit----------

finished the shock marines
Sorry for the crap pics but it is night time and I only have the kitchen light that's any good.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC01494.jpg

MAD MAN-A-TRON
20-11-2006, 23:58
oh, thanks, these do look pretty cool, if only I had the funds

jazzdude78
21-11-2006, 02:05
I loved VOID
it WAS like 40k
just better (less Uber stuff more movement alternate activations d10s etc)
plus it was cheaper (less so now that the pound is 2 to 1)

UW is too different a game to be able to compare imho

Luke
21-11-2006, 09:10
oh, thanks, these do look pretty cool, if only I had the funds

Stop spending money on FW marines then :D I know it's hard but give it a try. I split my wargaming budget 4 ways; suplies, UW, Conf, WAB.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
21-11-2006, 18:52
Stop spending money on FW marines then :D I know it's hard but give it a try. I split my wargaming budget 4 ways; suplies, UW, Conf, WAB.

Hehe, I guess your right, although my main focus has been college, that's what has been draining my funds of late. I'm probably going to sell that army off just because I need the money.

I really like these minis though, I'm sure if I like the Viridians or Vasa more. I mean, who doesn't like communist in space, but that one Female Viridian commander looks pretty sweet too.

erion
23-11-2006, 16:16
Do we actually have any idea when Metropolis is coming?

It's starting to be come a trend for MIniatures game companies (Mongoose, Reaper. Fantasy Flight, Urban Mammoth, Dream Pod 9) to announce big projects and then take several years to get them done enough to start releasing them.

Luke
24-11-2006, 15:51
http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/um/images/oni_sumo_2_lg.jpg

The Judge
24-11-2006, 22:23
Intriguing.... but since I use VASA triads for my eastern-themed 'Munda gang, I don;t like the smoothness. I want more bolts and wires, dammit!

Luke
24-11-2006, 22:25
Intriguing.... but since I use VASA triads for my eastern-themed 'Munda gang, I don;t like the smoothness. I want more bolts and wires, dammit!

I dunno how you could use it in necro as its over 54mm tall, 90mm odd to the top of the banners. That base is 50 mm

Besides, VASA triads are quite minimalist and plain anyway.

Damien 1427
25-11-2006, 11:33
I could see that being used a Spyrer. If one was willing to play by the One Thousand Credit Spyrer rules.

I like it, though. Given the apparent size, that could easily end up as a Dreadnought or similar in 40k. But I'm sorely tempted to pick some Viridians and use them for a Kill Team, as the models are the very sex.

Smokedog
25-11-2006, 11:43
I want to like meropolis, but for such a big model, they could have put some more detailing on it.... I hope the best is to come...

Luke
25-11-2006, 23:14
Well I like it. I'd sooner see a nice clean model than all the crappy pointless bling they shove on warjacks and dreadnoughts these days.

Matt Stone
26-11-2006, 05:04
After a 17 year love/hate relationship :cries: with GW and WH40K (in all its incarnations from Rogue Trader through 4th Edition), I've finally decided to set it aside (mostly; I have so much raw plastic in my game room, unpainted, unprimed, un-anything, I'd be stupid to quit 40K entirely) in favor of something else...

I happened to have the VOID rules on .pdf (downloaded ages ago from their website), started reading them after seeing this thread, downloaded the new stuff from the Urban Mammoth website, and I think I've found something else to sink my money into for the time being... :D

My boss at work paints miniatures (28mm WWII stuff mostly, though he's also done tons of other work) but doesn't game, and though he's inspired me to take a peek at doing the same, I'm still a gamer at heart (and I have an 11 year old son that is starting to show an interest in playing against his ol' dad) and I want a functional, fun, fluff-filled rules set with which to play with my little army dudes... :rolleyes:

For me, it looks pretty damned cool. And cheap. Let's not forget cheap... :D

Damien 1427
26-11-2006, 10:22
Well I like it. I'd sooner see a nice clean model than all the crappy pointless bling they shove on warjacks and dreadnoughts these days.

Hmm, you've a point in some cases, but I'd argue that the Khador 'Jacks and Ork Kans have the balance right. They're not utterly overloaded with detail like the Venerable Dreadnought (Which, to be fair, makes sense as it's a walking sarcophagus for a mighty hero), but they're not devoid of it.

I confess I love the concept-work for the UW Mechs, but the first finished piece doesn't impress me that much. To be honest though, I did feel that it was perhaps the weakest design, so maybe the Viridian or Junker ones will be better.

Wing Commander
27-11-2006, 15:11
If you want a sneaky peak of Metropolis, "in the flesh" as it were, ID Gaming will be hosting a special preview day on 13th January, Urban Mammoth will be there in person running demo's all day and will have a truckfull of goodies for you to drool over!
ID Gaming can be found at www.idgaming.co.uk, their store is at St. Helens, nr Liverpool. If you can't make it, don't worry, they'll be posting plenty of pictures for you.

warsmith si
06-12-2006, 08:47
The "beta" test rules for Metropolis are now online in a new Metropolis section of the Urban Mammoth forums. Downloadable as a 31 page pdf.

:evilgrin:

Yog_Sothoth
06-12-2006, 19:36
Looks like a good opportunity to start Urban War. After reading the rules and the fluff, I´m pretty much hooked.
Probably getting the 170pts starter boxes of Viridian, Gladiators and Triads (trying to get some friends into it as well)

Smokedog
08-12-2006, 14:14
The Gladiator pit beast is up, not quite like the concept, but I like it.

http://www.urbanmammoth.com/

The Judge
08-12-2006, 15:53
Not impressed... where are the guns? And the detail?

Luke
08-12-2006, 15:56
Not impressed... where are the guns? And the detail?

1: its the assault variant

2: I think it has plenty of detail. Scars, chains and bolts. I think you must have sm crap bling syndrome (for gods sakes man, this thing needs more skulls!):D

t-tauri
08-12-2006, 16:00
I was disappointed in that. Replacing both hands with blades is just so Dark Eldar. The other pit-beasts I like, that's a little meh. A set of claws like the others would have been better.

The Judge
08-12-2006, 19:53
Alright the gun part was a joke, but the model itself seems to be a bit... less than my expectations. Not a fan of the pose, and the mouth looks like a silly grin rather than a roar.

Sleazy
09-12-2006, 10:54
the more i see that Oni Sumo the more it grows on me, any idea on prices?

Senbei
09-12-2006, 16:11
If I could get away with it the 'Non-Mecha' Sumo's they have would make nice 'Big Mutants' in a LatD 40k army..... Hmn... Maybe back them up with the Mecha-Sumo-Daemon Prince!

Note: can he shoot stuff out of his belly button ? Those look a little bit like weapon ports...

thunderwolf
18-12-2006, 02:06
Hmm... I found the Urban Mammoth store in Tollcross not long before they closed down and moved to Dalkieth. If I could find the models for sale somewhere convenient, and well stocked with opponents, I'd consider it, or at least, consider stealing the above idea and making a Necro gang or three, but as it stands, I don't have enough motivation to buy them online. I only really get to game when I go home for the holidays, and we like to stick to rules we know to keep things flowing.

I rather like the Oni, though.

Kalamadea
20-12-2006, 07:40
inspired by this thread, I downloaded all the UW rules and gave them a read through, but I must say I'm decidedly unimpressed considering the glowing reviews you guys are giving it. The game seems like a mess of command checks before and after you do just about anything, and the complete lack of any rules for armor (except Heavy Armor as a special rule) is very odd to me. Seams like it would at least affect the toughness a little more, especially since it uses essentially a warhammer 40K statline with D10s instead of D6s. Everybody in the game seems to be T4, T5 or in rare cases T6, so it seems like it basically boils down to whether you hit or not. There's no option I can find for varying up the troops, you either take a certain troop type or you don't. and the factions don't seem that differant from one another. The only real options are what calibre of troop they are, something universal to every single troop in the game (not a good thing IMHO). And to top it all off, it's a skirmish game with no wound levels, you either die from a hit or you don't, and maybe you become shaken for a little bit.

It's not all bad, I like the use of D10s and the differant orders you can give, as well as the alternating activation, but I really don't see what's so great about it. Am I missing something integral to the game? You guys made it sound so interesting, and I intend to play a few games to try it out before completely condemning it, but I just don't see what makes you guys think it's so great.

Wing Commander
20-12-2006, 08:20
The Metropolis rules up for download are the playtest rules, Urban Mammoth are looking for feedback, they want as many players as possible to break them, what you like, dislike, etc, what it needs to improve upon and what works for you.
They intend to bring out the later version of the full rules tweaked and altered by the feedback they've received.

Luke
20-12-2006, 08:24
Kalamadea. If they look that crap then don't play it, but you will be missing out. If I didn't play a game based on how the rules read I wouldn't have tried anything. But when you get your game on you will see why all those command checks make for a fun and nail biting game.

Wing Commander
06-01-2007, 11:26
Just to confirm that we will be hosting the UKs first preview weekend of Metropolis instore on Saturday 13th December. If you want to see the game "in the metal" as it were, come along and join in.
www.idgaming.co.uk

Senbei
06-01-2007, 13:32
On another note.... Could use the hasslefree "Deth and Taxxis" as a combat pitbeast maybe... ^_^

erion
06-01-2007, 23:42
Just to confirm that we will be hosting the UKs first preview weekend of Metropolis instore on Saturday 13th December. If you want to see the game "in the metal" as it were, come along and join in.
www.idgaming.co.uk (http://www.idgaming.co.uk)

I sincerely hope you mean 13th January. Otherwise we've already missed it.

:D