PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves: the sell-outs of all Elves?

Necro Angelo
30-10-2006, 20:40
Hmm now this has been bothering me for a while, but when I started Fantasy I was intent on doing an Elf army. The trouble was, which one; there are as you all know, three. Now I was'nt going to do Dark Elves, because as much as I love the Cold One Knights and Witch Elves, I was'nt up for an "evil" army, hah hah lame I know. So the choice was High Elves or Wood Elves. I was stuck equally between them, but it was my friend who suggested at last that I do Wood Elves. It was only after this choice that I realised how many people do Wood Elves, and the thought occurs to me- have the new Wood Elves sold out with their army book and become the dominant Elven army choice? Surely that's why I chose them over High Elves? As it happens, the next day I look for the receipt so that I can get the book exchanged, but I find it to be lost. I put it all down to fate ;D

But anyway, no matter how pointless this post was I was wondering what your oppinions might be; it's not as if I have'nt seen that many Dark Elf armies before. It does'nt matter in the end, I guess I was just wondering how much Wood Elves have increased in popularity since the new book; afterall, I only just restarted warhammer after a two year break.

BloodOrkClanBoss
30-10-2006, 21:00
Im not sure. I know High Elves are down in popularity due to a bad codex. I personally am trying to get rid of my High Elf and Empire army because I feel that Wood Elves capture what they should actually be. Now I dont plan to use any trees in my army, Im making it pure Wood Elf, and plan on using guerilla tactics to attempt to win the day.

A Sorceress
A Waywatcher Noble
Glade Guard
Glade Scouts
Glade Riders
Waywatchers
Wardancers

Morgrin
30-10-2006, 21:14
Well, if you want to know if Wood Elves are still the underdogs, the answer is no.

The current army book besides providing for a much more fun army to play, and to play against, provides the basis for a tournament winner.

jansenm
30-10-2006, 21:22
I heard the high elves are comming out after empire
from a unrealiable scorce :P

so maybe you can even do the high elves

Necro Angelo
30-10-2006, 21:27
Well if they are, you can bet that they're my next army.

But yeah I was considering having a High Elf themed army based around the Wood Elf list, it just seemed a bit corny whilst a good idea at the same time =/

swordwind
30-10-2006, 22:04
Its just new army syndrome still lingering.

Years and years and years and years and years of no updates and then they're suddenly thrown out with the shiniest coolest minis on the block and all the people go "omg!" and run out and buy lots and lots and lots but then a year or two later and the next "omg!" army is released the Wood Elf players revert back to the small minority. Because you see, gamers are magpies. They covet anything shiney.

heretics bane
30-10-2006, 22:26
swordwind i've never heard so much truth!!! every new army that comes out with a cheesed codex and some shiney new models every body rushs out like its a gold rush!! with out actully thinking "ohh wood elves are cowardly *******" just as new as they have a guy converted in ivy and some angry looken twigs, same as the black templars/tau/wood elves and soon to be eldar and empire

Alathir
31-10-2006, 03:05
cheesed codex?

Get real.

Chiron
31-10-2006, 06:56
cheesed codex?

Get real.

cant say I'm fond of the Treeman and his miracle ability to do anything... but its far from cheesed up to 11

Necro Angelo
31-10-2006, 11:19
Yeah this takes me back to when the new chaos space marine codex was released; I've never forgiven games workshop.

Rathgar
31-10-2006, 13:28
Would this thread not be better in Fantasy General? Doesn’t seem to relate much to background.

Odin
31-10-2006, 14:07
I think there's a number of reasons why Wood Elves are currently the Elf army of choice...

1) They're a new army, this always happens.

2) The High Elves and Dark Elves have problems with their army books (DE need to use the WD update, and HE have the random general thing and are due for an update), and also have quite rubbish plastics (especially the DEs)

3) When an army is quite regularly updated, as most of them are, the changes are mostly pretty minor - a few improved sculpts, perhaps a new troop-type and a few other tweaks. But with Wood Elves, the old army list never really worked convincingly, and the miniature style was in serious need of change. So when the Wood Elf book was finally released, there was a sudden huge change in style and content, making it pretty high profile.

4) Because the Wood Elves are a particularly unusual army, it has probably taken gamers longer to work out how to deal with them effectively, leading some gamers to think that they are all-powerful. I suspect quite a few have said to themselves "omg, this new army is teh win!!! oog!" or some such nonsense "and I must buy them so I can win all my battles".

Anyway, once High Elves and Dark Elves are released we will start to see a balance between the three elf armies. I for one would lov to get Dark Elves if they got a decent set of models.

Necro Angelo
31-10-2006, 15:05
We've already been through this, Rathgar.

And yes, some new High Elf minitures are in desperate need.

heretics bane
01-11-2006, 22:27
cheesed codex?

Get real.

Theres only two armies that have the right to say they have a cr@p codex and thats the HE and DE, its how you use the codex that makes the woodies effective. so they dont have that cr@p codex its just how you use them. the dwarfs have there drawbacks and so do the empire/dark elves/high elves/chaos/beastmen/brettonia

Anyway, once High Elves and Dark Elves are released we will start to see a balance between the three elf armies. I for one would lov to get Dark Elves if they got a decent set of models.

i know a guy who uses wood elf models for the dark elves and they look brilliant!!

Bregalad
02-11-2006, 09:34
Well after 7 years of waiting, the Wood Elves finally got a decent Codex and excellent minis. After this long neglect, they surely increased in popularity (couldn't get worse though) and that is fine. HE are still a highly competitive army but will receive a new Codex either after Empire next year or after Vampire Counts early 2008, rumours are not sure if HE or VC come first.
Take the army that you like best after reading both Codices (or watching both armies in a game), as both are quite different.

Necro Angelo
02-11-2006, 10:20
Hmm waywatchers could make some pretty good dark elves actually...

heretics bane
02-11-2006, 11:17
the direct order wardancers look great painted dark elf colours

Jedi152
02-11-2006, 11:19
cheesed codex?

Get real.
Well i made a list the other night of all elves, no forest spirits, consisting purely of glade guard, scouts, way watchers and glade riders - every model in the army having longbows.

I thought about collecting it for all of about 30 seconds. I could hear the cries of "LOLbRoken!!!!GUNLINEnOOb!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL111!!cheaz e!!!!WE are teh NERFed!!!!!!!!" already.

stonefox
02-11-2006, 13:37
I thought about collecting it for all of about 30 seconds. I could hear the cries of "LOLbRoken!!!!GUNLINEnOOb!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL111!!cheaz e!!!!WE are teh NERFed!!!!!!!!" already.

Get a Skaven friend to make an SAD. Then they won't care.

aeon flux
02-11-2006, 13:50
Im not sure. I know High Elves are down in popularity due to a bad codex.

that's because the WE have re emerged lately: they were thrown into the bottom of the barrel. their army book was the last one to come out (before WH 7th Ed). WE players had to wait for years and years.

WE are one of the most tactically challenging armies to use. Not everybody can get around it. they are very quirky. like "fantasy Tau".

Necro Angelo
02-11-2006, 14:15
...and thus the whole point of this thread. But fantasy Tau is taking it a bit far; I can't imagine an army of ranged elves doing too well, they need Dryads for close support. That's why I never liked the idea of an all elf wood elf army... not saying I'd never try it though.

Jedi152
02-11-2006, 14:19
But would it be considered a gorgonzola-fest if i did do it?

Frecus
02-11-2006, 14:38
What is this I hear about Elven codexes?

Elves don't use codexes! Only Eldar have a codex!;)

Just had to get that out of my sysytem...:angel:

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

eldrak
02-11-2006, 17:31
Can you make "Codex" a swearword on the fantasy subforums?

Revlid
02-11-2006, 17:38
Can you make "Codex" a swearword on the fantasy subforums?

The best suggestion I have ever heard regarding these forums.

No, I don't feel Wood Elves are sell-outs just because their armybook has been redone most recently, meaning that they currently have the most up-to-date rules and models, and the most hype about them. That's like saying that Empire are going to be sell-outs because they'll be more popular than Brettonia when they're released.

(It probably helps that Wood Elves aren't too Goth and aren't too Pansy, they're juuuust right. And a little beardy)

adreal
03-11-2006, 05:10
Hmmm, why is a all elf wood elf army seen as a gunline? Wild riders are elves, eternal guard are elves, both do not have longbows.

yeah wood elves have the strongest armybook out of all three elven armies, but total cheesefest? What are you people smoking, in your average wood elf army there is about 3 models with a decient armour save, any good ward saves are either situational, or stop working one failed.

Oh no they are S4 at close range, thats what 15", easily most cav's charge range (don't say you dont use them, unless your dwarves...or skaven), wow core troops with a ward save CHEESE, untill you use magic against them.

Wood elves arn't cheese, they are a strong list, but seriously not cheese.

Highborn
03-11-2006, 05:19
in your average wood elf army there is about 3 models with a decient armour save

... and what troops would they be? =D

While most armies can muster up a 1+ save to protect their precious characters, Wood Elves settle for an absolute best of 3+ (Light Armour, Mount, Enchanted Shield).

Wood Elves also are about as far from a gunline as you can get. They have no high S shooting, and the only way to deal with armour is a Highborn platform. They have good supporting archery, and they are great at removing light threats to their own light combat troops, but even dwarves could reach a WE shooting line relatively unscathed.

In a firefight, an Arrer Boy could beat a WE archer (WE hits on 4, wounds on 5. Orc hits on 5, wounds on 4. Orc is half the points.)

I think the fact of the matter is, people just don't know how to deal with woodies. They're no stronger or weaker than any other list. Their popularity comes from the fact that they're elves, that play like elves should and have a great model range.

Gimp
03-11-2006, 19:00
As a dark elf player ( and its not just me I have spoken to others) I personally believe that the Dark Elves are the weaker of the 3 elven races. I put it down to an out of date army book.

Highborn
04-11-2006, 01:14
In an army built purely to kick the other army's backside, I would agree.

In a fluffy army though, I think Dark Elves do pretty well against High Elves. Of course, Wood Elves kick all other elves' asses. Unbiased opinion.

Alathir
05-11-2006, 09:35
anyone who calls wood elves cheese is an idiot. period.

They are one of the most balanced armies to come out in ages.

Sefster
07-11-2006, 13:16
While most armies can muster up a 1+ save to protect their precious characters, Wood Elves settle for an absolute best of 3+ (Light Armour, Mount, Enchanted Shield).

Oh and donīt forget 6+ to hit in Challenges for 25 points or a 3+ ward for 35 points - Or have you seen a WE list lately, that does not include Annoyance of Netlings? :D It is not that WE Characters have nothing else then Armour saves to protect their characters.

Wood Elves also are about as far from a gunline as you can get. They have no high S shooting, and the only way to deal with armour is a Highborn platform. They have good supporting archery, and they are great at removing light threats to their own light combat troops, but even dwarves could reach a WE shooting line relatively unscathed.

My guess is they wonīt reach it unscathed. :D I donīt think Treemen, Wardancer or Wild Rider would let them kick the Glade guards around. WE are not that powerful because of their bowmen - They are powerful because they have fast, rock hard Close combat troops that are more than able to defend the archers.

In a firefight, an Arrer Boy could beat a WE archer (WE hits on 4, wounds on 5. Orc hits on 5, wounds on 4. Orc is half the points.)

Thats true for distances between 24" and 15". 25"-30" The Orc cant shoot at all and at distances below 15" the WE Archer has Str 4.

I do not say that they are OTT, but you make them look a lot weaker than they really are. ;) In fact they are IMHO (still) one of the top notch tournament armies.

zak
07-11-2006, 14:35
Wood elves like any other army will cause some armies more problems than others. I sometimes play dwarfs and find the Wood Elves more than a little annoying. However, against my highly mobile and tough Chaos Beasts army they tend to be at a disadvantage as their strengths are some what neutralised. I find the Woodelves to be a fair and balanced army that if used properly (like any army) is more than capable of winning, and in the Wood Elves case, any tournament.
On another point. The Woodelves were never designed to have great armour saves so stating that just because they cannot have high armour saves means they are not cheesed is a weak argument as Sefster pointed out. The Woodelves have plenty of other things to offset this weakness.