PDA

View Full Version : The Lions Live! Frost's Celestial Lion Distraction.

FearFrost
31-10-2006, 05:05
Hey guys. While I take a self-imposed break on my Eldar (a little bit of burnout, also waiting for the new models) I decided to make a small force of Space Marines, from sprues and bitz Ive had laying around unused.

Im not sure what rules I will use for them (if I ever play a game with them) but my Celestial Lions are derived of the shattered remnants of their once proud chapter, the remaining 90 or so marines left from the Third Battle of Armageddon. (Note: I WON'T be painting anywhere near 90 marines, thats just in there for fluff purposes)

To represent their depleted numbers, I decided to have a small force, heavily armed, lacking a lot of vehicles or jump packs. I will have a lot of HQ and Elites, and a large number of dreadnoughts (lots of near-dead Lions to make dreads out of!). I also wanted to show that since so few marines are left, they are not organized into specialized squads anymore...I figured using true grit and arming them to the teeth would be a good way to show that every marine has to be a master of hand to hand and shooting.

With this in mind, I decided to assemble most of my marines with a bunch of gear, and lots of boltguns!

Pics!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionsWIP4.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionsWIP3.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionsWIP2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionsWIP1.jpg

I plan on painting these guys using a few shortcuts that I wont mention quite yet...needless to say, they will look good, and wont take nearly the effort that my Eldar do!

Wish me luck!

Frost

The_Patriot
31-10-2006, 05:09
Good luck and they look good so far.

AventineCrusader
31-10-2006, 05:10
Excellent! Good to see this is getting off the ground.

Crusader

FearFrost
31-10-2006, 05:21
Thanks guys, with some support and dilligence I might actually finish a marine army!*

*entirely unprecedented event

This is going to be a tiny force...Im just loading every model down with equipment, so they are going to be massively expensive (points-wise) :D

BodhiTree
31-10-2006, 05:31
I've always liked these guys, perhaps the most unstealthy Chapter ever. I mean, how could you not see them?! As a bonus, you can go out of your way to fight armies of the Inquisition - y'know, take revenge. ;)

I'm looking forward to this. :)

FearFrost
31-10-2006, 06:39
Captain Saul Invictus, Celestial Lions acting Chapter Master.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/SaulWIP1.jpg

spikyjames
31-10-2006, 12:44
not alot of marine projects around at the minute, looking forward to seeing this getting off the ground. going well so far.

james:)

HiredSword.
31-10-2006, 14:47
yay celestial lions!

Love the guy with the power fist in the bottom right.

For armour variants, stay away from beaked helmets; the chapters relatively new. Lots more armoured torsos with the new collar bits will make them look like a younger chapter.

I'll be keeping an eye on this log, great work so far.

Also, if you have any old empire shields that you're not using, why not use them now? (i think they have a lion on them?)

FearFrost
31-10-2006, 15:36
yay celestial lions!

Also, if you have any old empire shields that you're not using, why not use them now? (i think they have a lion on them?)

Hrm, not a bad idea :)

HiredSword.
31-10-2006, 15:51
plus you can convert them into chestplates that way as well.

synapse
31-10-2006, 16:15
Im glad you went for the lions (my choice :p)

I love marines and love marine logs even more and look forward to these. Nice simple commander you got there.

Edit: you have to use the empire spearmen shields somewhere in the army. Either use 'counts as' or make a tooled out command squad filled with as many combat shields as possible.

Tom
31-10-2006, 20:04
Also, remember, lots of HQ, but no apothecaries. I'm very interested in seeing this, I've always liked the colour scheme and the conversions are very nice.

I assume you're traiting up, hance the Bolter/Charlie-Charlie-Whiskey combos.

FearFrost
31-10-2006, 22:33
Also, remember, lots of HQ, but no apothecaries. I'm very interested in seeing this, I've always liked the colour scheme and the conversions are very nice.

I assume you're traiting up, hance the Bolter/Charlie-Charlie-Whiskey combos.

Either that or using the space wolf codex...still havent decided one way or the other :)

The conversions are all pretty minimal, just some chaos marine bits with all the markings taken off...and a few metal bits tossed it. I really like the way the heavy bolter marine came out, that was probably the most complicated of the bunch.

Thanks for all the props guys, Ill probably have some significant work done on these over the next few days...

HiredSword.
01-11-2006, 10:53
also, how about for terminators (because they'll be even more rare than other chapters termies) making them lead young initiates (which the chapter will need to bring them to full strength)? In game terms this could be done by upgrading the scout sargeant to have termie armour (it can be done apparently). It would make your army really stand out as well.

FearFrost
01-11-2006, 15:35
also, how about for terminators (because they'll be even more rare than other chapters termies) making them lead young initiates (which the chapter will need to bring them to full strength)? In game terms this could be done by upgrading the scout sargeant to have termie armour (it can be done apparently). It would make your army really stand out as well.

If I do include scouts, they will be in VERY small numbers...same with terminators.

Im not a huge fan of a terminator leading scouts...I know its technically legal, ruleswise, but it doesnt make any sense at all fluff wise.

However, if I end up using SW rules, I can have terminators leading my other squads :D

As far as I've thought it out, Im not going to have the following:

No Landspeeders, bikes, jetpacks, apothecaries, techmarines

axiom
01-11-2006, 16:43
As far as I've thought it out, Im not going to have the following:

No Landspeeders, bikes, jetpacks, apothecaries, techmarines

I also think you should think about what you definitely SHOULD include. For example, I envisage as every CL engagement might be their last, they'd have the Chapter banner proudly flying. Therefore I'd make sure my lists at least included a command squad with the Chapter banner as a starting point before getting onto anything else...a thought for you anyway :)

HiredSword.
01-11-2006, 17:11
Im not a huge fan of a terminator leading scouts...I know its technically legal, ruleswise, but it doesnt make any sense at all fluff wise.

not really, i mean why wouldn't the veteran troops take neophytes under their wing to teach them the laws of battle, black templars are an example. Think of them more in terms of an inquisitor and his henchmen. Its just an idea.

Also, i agree with axiom. Isn't there a trait where your opponent gets to choose whether to take an extra turn? that might be fluffy.

Edit: sorry on more thing, vehicles will look alot better in a reversed colour scheme.

FearFrost
01-11-2006, 19:59
I meant that scouts being stealthy being led by a dude in gigantic tactical dreadnought armor wasnt fluffy...not the fact that the leader is a veteran, which I consider very true to fluff. Oh, and my marines may take some dislike to the comparison to inquisitors ;)

I already have a Chapter Banner guy about half-converted, so that is definately in :)

Im really iffy on vehicles in general...I dont want the army to be THAT slow, but I dont want a ton of tanks, either. Hrm.

Im dead set on having at least 2, if not 3 dreads.

Althanan
01-11-2006, 20:20
Here I am waiting for more Eldar updates, and I see this :P

Seriously, though, this looks like it should be pretty cool in the end.

EmperorsChamp01
01-11-2006, 21:00
I love how much character you put into each guy. they arnt in any static poses. Great job cant wait to see them painted

FearFrost
01-11-2006, 23:35
Here I am waiting for more Eldar updates, and I see this :P

Seriously, though, this looks like it should be pretty cool in the end.

Thanks man! The Eldar thread isnt dead. Im just a touch burned out on them, and Im waiting for money and new miniatures to continue :)

I love how much character you put into each guy. they arnt in any static poses. Great job cant wait to see them painted

Thanks, I tried to make them as individual as possible.

Without further ado, paint!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionPaintWip3.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionPaintWip2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionPaintWip1.jpg

HiredSword.
01-11-2006, 23:39
damn that's looking nice! I can see you're really going to do the lions justice.

sorry, but one more thing about termie's and scouts (i swear :D ). I agree that they shouldn't be scouting with some massive piece of armour, they should act as a tactical squad or something. And sorry about the inquisitor remark ;)

FearFrost
01-11-2006, 23:45
The secret:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/paints/TS_spray_can.jpg

This is some of the best spray I have ever used...it evenly covered all of the model, even parts that had paint already on them, and had amazingly smooth application...I didnt need to use primer or anything.

The downside is that the surface was so smooth that paints wouldnt stick.

The second secret:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/142620_front200.jpg

By mixing a bit of this amazing product into the chaos black paint, it broke the surface tension and allowed coverage over the tamiya spray. It took 2 thin coats, but the whole process was VERY fast.

So far:

1)Spray with Tamiya Gold.

2)Mix brown ink, future floor finish, water, and yellow ink together in a blister, and apply to the shade areas of the model.

3)Use another mix, like above but with more brown ink. Place this carefully in the deeper cracks and such.

4)Apply the afforementioned 2 thin coats of Black+water+FFF to all areas that are going to be anything but gold.

Stay tuned...

Frosty

FearFrost
01-11-2006, 23:48
damn that's looking nice! I can see you're really going to do the lions justice.

sorry, but one more thing about termie's and scouts (i swear :D ). I agree that they shouldn't be scouting with some massive piece of armour, they should act as a tactical squad or something. And sorry about the inquisitor remark ;)

Hehe, Captain Saul is a vengeful man, but he will forgive you this time :)

It's tempting to have terminator armored leaders in some of my regular squads, which is why I really like the idea of using the space wolf rules...but I like having heavy weapons in my squads...d'oh!

Althanan
02-11-2006, 00:08
Hmmm, interesting trick. The local Fred Meyer's is having a sale on their hobby supplies, and they sell an awful lot of Testors' paints and sprays (though not Dullcote...). Debating picking some of that up...

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 00:25
Testors < Tamiya. Be warned.

Edit: except the glosss/dull, that stuff is great.

But when I bought gold, I bought 2 testors types and 1 tamiya...and it was no comparison.

ExquisiteEvil
02-11-2006, 00:25
Technically any veteren sgt may be given termie armour - you just end up paying alot for it!

This suits your chapter anyway!

Id suggest traits - Trust your Battle Brothers and maybe Cleanse and purify(giving them more flexibility?)

For disadvantages - 'Aspire to glory' and maybe 'until death'

Althanan
02-11-2006, 01:22
Testors < Tamiya. Be warned.

Edit: except the glosss/dull, that stuff is great.

But when I bought gold, I bought 2 testors types and 1 tamiya...and it was no comparison.

I'm aware of that, however, I've been unable to find Tamiya anywhere, so I may have to settle with Testors since I don't want to buy any more GW sprays if I can avoid it.

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 01:26
Try RC car stores...I got mine at Hobbytown USA.

Lamenter
02-11-2006, 01:27
Nice work, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how this develops.

Althanan
02-11-2006, 02:53
Try RC car stores...I got mine at Hobbytown USA.

Hmmm... there is a Hobbytown in town, but it's a ways away from home for me. May have to get my rear out there tho, check it out. *groans at the idea of driving 45 minutes to the bad part of town to get to it*

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 03:05
Well, its a great way to basecoat minis in a particular color, ie gold in this case. However, the cans are tiny and cost 5 bucks each...so its probably not worth using as a primer or anything.

But if you are doing marines or some other army that requires insane amounts of single color basecoating, they might be handy :)

Althanan
02-11-2006, 03:39
I'm working on a few projects right now. Finishing up my Eldar (may have to take pics of the Wraithguard I just finished and post it, I'm fairly proud of it), painting up my Tau, and working on building parrallel IG/DH lists that'll be used in concert a lot. Probably going to need a lot of black primer and/or black spray for undercoating :P

The cost is part of why I was looking at the Testors, as it's 4 bucks for a can normally at the Fred Meyer's down the street and they're on sale on top of it just now.

May pick up the Testors airbrush they have there, too... it's cheap and basic, seems like a decent one to try to learn with.

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 06:27
Progress!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Celestial%20Lions/LionPaintWip4.jpg

Serpent
02-11-2006, 06:35
Looking great, I must say. I look forward to seing the updates!

Serpent

Althanan
02-11-2006, 06:36
Ooooo, those are looking pretty Frost. Nice choice of blue for the pads and helmets; much darker and it would have thrown off the shine of the gold, much brighter and it would have just looked weird.

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 07:21
Well, I do have to say this: my lights screw up color, bad. Im not really happy with any of my photography at all, to be frank. So that blue is actually a touch darker than the photos...but then again, so is the gold. Sigh.

However!

I think Im going to be able to get some cheap desk lamps and put daylight bulbs in them, which should really help. Expect drastically better photos of my stuff, hopefully more like Deadley's photos, which I think are great.

HiredSword.
02-11-2006, 10:36
not really a fan of the light blue (is it not a darker blue anyway?), but if you say its darker then thats fine. It looks good regardless.

Will you be doing anything different for to mark out veterans? I haven't seen anything about them. You could use that campaign badge (the one with the triangle with a circle in red and black, i think that its to mark the khattarn Insurrection).

AventineCrusader
02-11-2006, 10:43
Looking great! Nice time saving trick, its mostly spray:D . Amazing results!

Crusader

Tussky
02-11-2006, 13:40
Looks awsome man!I hope the blue is darker in life than in the photo.

Hey!I noticed that you are switch the vet.sergeant bolter for a combi-melta! :)

BodhiTree
02-11-2006, 15:51
I love blinged up Marines. Those guys are looking sweet.

FearFrost
02-11-2006, 17:56
Looking great! Nice time saving trick, its mostly spray:D . Amazing results!

Crusader

Hehe, thanks! I was hoping the whole spray experiment would work out, and I have to say, Im REALLY happy with the results.

Looks awsome man!I hope the blue is darker in life than in the photo.

Hey!I noticed that you are switch the vet.sergeant bolter for a combi-melta! :)

Yeah, its darker, and yeah, I did :) I pretty much expect all of my "characters" to have a ton of wargear...and I got that space marine commander sprue, so...

blacklegioncommander
02-11-2006, 18:05
its a brillant story idea and brillant painting nice work!

blacklegioncommander
02-11-2006, 18:05
nice idea mate

crandall87
03-11-2006, 18:42
Everyone loves the lions. I really wish GW didn't give them stupid fluff which limits them to something stupid like only having 96 marines. I bet there are quite a lot of CL armies out there. I had a small one once.

Tom
03-11-2006, 19:21
Everyone loves the lions. I really wish GW didn't give them stupid fluff which limits them to something stupid like only having 96 marines. I bet there are quite a lot of CL armies out there. I had a small one once.

They do have somewhere in the region of 2000 years or so where they had considerably more than 96 marines, you know. Not all armies have to be 'current'.

If you were aware of that and just posting about current situations, my apologies.

FearFrost
03-11-2006, 20:13
They do have somewhere in the region of 2000 years or so where they had considerably more than 96 marines, you know. Not all armies have to be 'current'.

If you were aware of that and just posting about current situations, my apologies.

I assume he was, because in my early posts I mentioned this was a post-armaggedon 3 CL force :)

Thanks for all the comments gents, updates coming soon!

synapse
04-11-2006, 11:17
great work with that spray, it looks really smooth - something i have problems with in my models.

Yorkiebar
04-11-2006, 11:52
Excellent! Good to see this is getting off the ground.

CrusaderAhahaha, I get it!

Seriously, excellent models, both in modelling and painting. The bottom left model in the first post (no helmet, holding power sword), looked a little oddly posed, though it may have just been the camera angle.

HiredSword.
04-11-2006, 13:24
looking back on your models i noticed how most of them have the purity seals on their right shoulder pad, it looks nice, kind of regimented. Got me thinking though, how about some kind of campaign badge to show the battle of Armeggedon, I mean if they had one for Khattarn, they surely have one for the massive losses their chapter suffered.

Scorpio
07-11-2006, 21:20
I was waitin to see some eldar but these guys look awesome. Love the gold.

-Scorpio

Messiah
08-11-2006, 01:28
Love to see some Celestial goodness! Waiting for them lionhead backpacks.. ;)

shaw3029
08-11-2006, 01:38
JESUS!!! They look amazing!

I love the gold. It looks perfect, flawless. Almost makes me want to have an army of them. They look great! Wow!

When you stick up some new photos can we have some close ups?

FearFrost
08-11-2006, 03:42
Love to see some Celestial goodness! Waiting for them lionhead backpacks.. ;)

Man, I wish I was good enough at sculpting to pull those off :) Maybe Ill try it on my characters or something...

JESUS!!! They look amazing!

I love the gold. It looks perfect, flawless. Almost makes me want to have an army of them. They look great! Wow!

When you stick up some new photos can we have some close ups?

Thanks!

Im trying to get a new lighting rig which will be the start of much better photos. Stay tuned.

Evilgnome
08-11-2006, 05:35
Boo! Hiss! All we need, a exceptional painter of Eldar giving in to the dark side....

Seriously, nice looking Marines and good to see something from outside the big named chapters.

FearFrost
03-06-2007, 00:43
I hate to be a threadomancer, but I decided to sell all of these marines off. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the ebay auction link. Thanks!

Yorkiebar
03-06-2007, 00:47
I hate to be a threadomancer, but I decided to sell all of these marines off. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the ebay auction link. Thanks!How many eventually got done? Can we at least see final pics?

Boss_Salvage
04-06-2007, 18:56
Frost! Working on much of anything recently? Don't remember seeing your wonderful stuff in ages ... :cries:

- Salvage