PDA

View Full Version : Phantine Airborne regiment project.

ss_cherubael
31-10-2006, 07:11
Hello everyone friendly neighbourhood demon host here,
i will be on summer break from university in about a weeks time and this break is for about three months so i have a bit of time to kill. I decided that its high time to get round to painting everything i own to a decent standard, and i saw this projects board and thought "BINGO" the motivation that seems to be the key to me and painting can come from here and hopefully that will get me into gear and painting.

The first thing on my list is a guard army, ive wanted to do a Phantine army since they turned up in the Gaunts Ghosts books, so what the heck?
The army will use a fair number of stormtroopers for the deepstriking and drop troops for the rest in terms of doctrines. The minis are the cadian Kasrkin for the storm troopers as i love the minis and for the drop troopers im using cadian plastics with the forge world respirator upgrade pack to make em look like they are doing high altitude grav chutting (spelling?) and the packs you get make em look like they hang around behind enemy lines and that they might contain grav chutes. (and they just look damn swanky)

so at some point when i finish my exams i will write up a painting schedual and hopefully stick to it and feel free to hammer me if i dont! i need the motivation.

Right after help from Crusader and a few others i have worked out how to post pics straight onto the thread so they are easier to see and hopefully will lead to more comments and what not.... so heres the first one:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/impguardstormtroopers004.jpg

and the second:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/impguardstormtroopers002.jpg

and the trial vet sarge:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/impguardstormtroopers007.jpg

Frinky
31-10-2006, 11:55
How long do you think it will take to paint all your stuff? Good colour scheme I reckon, what colour will tanks and such be?

HiredSword.
31-10-2006, 12:35
thats a really nice colour scheme. The blue looks a bit flat, try some more highlights.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
31-10-2006, 12:36
Ahh I see another one came up with the idea..:D
check out my ongoing Phantines, too. Sorry for the slow progress-I am working a lot.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50064

ss_cherubael
31-10-2006, 13:44
i think ive been on your thread before and had a look at them, they are nice. i like the use of the elysian heads. ive had the idea floating around since guns of tanith came out in australia and i read it, but back then i dont even think we had cadian plastics so iy kinda died before it got started, and finally a few weeks ago i thought stuff it im going to paint them up! originally the FW packs were going to be for another of my guard armies and the kasrkn were for my inquisitorial army but what the hell they are phantine now!

as for the colour of the tanks and such, im not having tanks. i already have one FW vulture sitting unmade in a draw so thats going to be the heavy support till i get my hands on something bigger (maybe a marauder bomber if i can justify the expense).

as for how long it will take to paint ALL my stuff......more than the three months i have but if i say i will and i start and am motivated enough i should get a decent chunk done and then it will have a snowball effect and i will keep painting. or at least thats the idea.

still not sure if i like the blue im using or if i should go for a darker shade? i need to find a guide on how to paint glass and visors that sort of thing and have a go, although ive been playing for years my painting was always pretty crap and in the last 3yrs or so ive been slowly but steadily raising my standard and i hope to get a full army painted to a good standard to have on the table top.

ss_cherubael
02-11-2006, 12:20
Ok first up i would like to say im very sad about the lack of feed back! please people any comments would be appreciated! please!

ok onto the post, while i was studying the other day i threw this guy together with some help from my trusty box of holding...errrr, i mean my bits box!
front- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/DSC00421.jpg

back- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/DSC00422.jpg

At the moment he is going to be a platoon commander and if he is well received maybe even the army commander. What are your thoughts on him?
I will have to take him apart to paint him but that wont be that hard.
i wanted to know what your thoughts were on his head, now everyone else is getting a respirator, should i change the heads and give him one or should i leave him with out one to make him stand out?

thanks! and please people please post and tell me your thoughts!

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
02-11-2006, 12:55
Looks good to me, I was playing with the idea of using the tank-sprue commander's head, too but finally decided to use heads with helmets rather than this one. I like your model anyway. (Ahh, if you're using photobucket, just copy the line with the IMG under the pic and paste it in your thread --saves people hitting links all the time :D )

ss_cherubael
02-11-2006, 13:04
righto thanks for the feedback on that.
@Veritas/Aequitas:BTW i love your guys they are seriously sweet, paint wise and model wise! (not too sure what you mean by the IMG line and what i should do with it, are you saying thumbnail it in the thread? and is the IMG line one of the three lines that appears under a picture at photo bucket? thanks )

AventineCrusader
02-11-2006, 13:08
The IMG line is the third one down. Just copy that into the body of your message and it will show the full-sized pic... like this...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/DSC00421.jpg

Crusader

ss_cherubael
02-11-2006, 13:10
Hey thank you very much for that crusader!!!!!!! makes it a hell of a lot easier!!!
thanks for posting the pic btw

ok thats the main pics i wanted to share with you guys, as i said earlier i will hopefully have a schedual done by monday next week and i should have done a new test figure by then as well, to try and sort out the highlighing and i think i have found a way to do the lenses on the guys helms so i will try that out and see how it goes. thanks

Ziljin
02-11-2006, 14:25
that is one awesome looking commander. and you didn't even need to gs it or buy expensive bits. And you even have a helmet.

WillFightForFood
02-11-2006, 14:37
To try to give you a little better feedback, the big thing on your models is that the paint is too thick. Marked with red arrows are the places where is very very thick. Marked with green/red arrows are places where your paint is thick but coverage is uneven, and a lower layer of paint is showing through to the surface. Those are places where you're need more than one coat, especially with the colors you are using. Lastly there are the blue arrows, which represent places where your highlights are a) too large, and b) do not have enough transition between the base color and the highlight color. Consider adding a mid tone between the two.

Hope this helps.

ss_cherubael
02-11-2006, 22:41
Hey thanks very much for that its damn helpful!

ss_cherubael
04-11-2006, 16:39
Hey all im still depressed about the number of posts on this thread but hopefully this will inspire more. I sat down and wrote up a painting schedual that runs till the end of November and should see most of the stuff i have for the army painted minus the Vulture.

Ok what i have at the moment to paint are :
1 Kasrkn squad (ten man)
1 infantry platoon (2 ten man squads with FW upgrades, and a platoon command with FW upgrades, unmade as well)
1 squad of hardened vets. (ten man with FW shotgun pack and plasma guns, unmade as well)
1 FW Vulture
1 Regimental Command squad (need to convert and build them so may take some time)

Ok the schedual is this:
NOVEMBER:
5th:Start and finish assembling 1st squad and spray undercoat.
6th: Start painting 1st squad
10th:Finish painting 1st squad and base them
12th: Start Kasrkn squad
15th: finish Kasrkn Squad
17th: start 2nd infantry squad
22nd: finish 2nd infantry squad
23rd: start vets
27th: finish vets and start platoon command
30th:finish platoon command

so thats the way it stands at the moment and i hope to stick to this at all costs! (which may be hard due to work and other commitments, but let us hope little gets in the way)
On the 11th of Nov. its my birthday and i suspect that there will be an influx of guard things around this time so i will update with what additions i gain for my army if any. Also its around 0340 right now but im going to start painting my platoon cpt. Hopefully get the base coat done before i pass out! and then when i get up i will start asembling squad one. night everyone

cpl_hicks
04-11-2006, 18:33
Hey all im still depressed about the number of posts on this thread but hopefully this will inspire more.

not alot of project logs get a lot of posts (cept if your deadly), ive been watching this thread but this is the first time i have posted in it

ss_cherubael
05-11-2006, 03:09
yeah i know i need to give you guys something to look at and hopefully inspire comments of some kind so thats what i guess ill have to do. watch this space.

ss_cherubael
05-11-2006, 07:04
ok as promised i have just finished painting my platoon commander and here he is in all his glory!
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/DSC00448.jpg

and the back of him:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/Phantine%20Airborne/DSC00446.jpg

Im happy with the quality of the paint job, especially his face (although its not the best ive painted) and if i can get the whole army to this standard oi would be overjoyed!

first problem has already come up, the box of cadians have so much flash and so man mould lines its taking me around 10 mins a pair of legs to clea them properly and so i think i should either buy a new box or slog ahead, either way it makes my job harder but i guess one has to suffer for their art?

shaw3029
05-11-2006, 17:34
That conversion Is really good. I really like him. The face looks cool to.

If its not to late. Just a couple of tips that may help you out.

How do you paint the brown on the uniform. It might look better If your base coat was vermin brown. Or if it all ready is then try mixing a little scorched brown into it for the base coat. Seeing as your going over a black undercoat it will probably make the whole effect alot better.

But I would definetly do a watered down black wash (or if you dont have one like me, make one from black and alot of water) on the schroched brown aread to add a little depth. Maybe on the metal as well.

I think if you tried them then it may make your guys look a cleaner.

cpl_hicks
06-11-2006, 23:47
love the commander, i would have to agree with shaw the brown does seem a little flat.

btw thats the exact same way i use to show my imperial guard sergeants (sword on the back), though you seem to have filed the hand down more that i have

ss_cherubael
07-11-2006, 00:14
hey thanks for that guys! (yay c&c)
Im painting scorched brown straight onto a black undercoat and have been trying to work out what to do to it to make it less flat, but the ink was making it way too shiny, so ill try the black wash SHAW and ill post a pis of how it looks. And when i get back into GW this week ill grab a pot of vermin brown and try that out as a base coat and then go scorched over the top then the wash.
Thanks Hicks, the sword was the one from the cadian box and it took me about three hours to find something to fit in the handle part so that could be the reason.
Also when i get the camera back off family i will post another update, 1st line trooper is finished! yay and the next three are coming along well, although i will try the wash on them so it might be a bit longer.
Also i need some help with the bases, i still havent decided on how im going to do them. City fight terrain or just and ordinary waste land sort of job? (desert maybe even?).

Thanks for the comments and ill update tonight!

shaw3029
07-11-2006, 01:00
I would probably go with a desert basing scheme. They look pretty desert camo type to me. Depends what you want them to be I suppose.

The wash doesn't tend to make things shiny. But If it does, you need to paint over it using schorched brown again, Leaving all the gaps and nooks and crannies and stuff.

When you use vermin brown, I mean use that as a base coat for the lighter browns. The trousers and the shirt.

Cant wait to see the new pics. Hope there looking cool.

ss_cherubael
07-11-2006, 07:53
Ah righto that makes more sense now, and i have been looking to find something to put under the commando khaki colour as doing three coats still makes em look pretty crap, thanks for the help.

ss_cherubael
08-11-2006, 13:32
update time, i will post pics when i get my hands on the camera again.
I have finished 4 members from 1st squad and so am kinda on track to meeting the first deadline of the 10th of November(1st squad done). i still havent been to a gw (will try and get there soon, maybe tomorrow) to get the other paints i want so the first squad will all be painted with out the brown under the tunic, i know i should wait but if i stop i wont go again and that will be worse than some of the guardsmen looking different to the others and i can always come back to them at some point in the future. Still havent decided on the bases yet, although im leaning towards a desert style (pretty much just using GW sand and doing their bases in this) its that or city fight. Havent started the vulture yet but i will hopefully start it on sunday if im not to hung over from my birthday on saturday :)
as i said pics will come very soon (damn family and their tendency to take back their own cameras from me...grrrrrr)

shaw3029
13-11-2006, 17:11
Arnt more pictures coming anytime soon?

ss_cherubael
15-11-2006, 03:23
SORRY for missing the deadline for the first squad guys, real life reared its ugly head and i have been caught up doing family things and also my uni exams so i havent had the time to paint or i have been way too tired to paint. Also i hadnt been able to lay my hands on the right paints until today so i will revise the painting schedual and get back down to work, never fear i have not stopped. just a brief pause... pictures of the first guy done with graveyard earth as a base coat will follow tonight! that i promise you!

ss_cherubael
16-11-2006, 07:55
update:

ok as promised here are some WIP pics of some guardsmen with the graveyard earth base coat, i have finished them now and based them but lacking a camera makes it hard to upload the non existent pics....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/DSC00485.jpg

see how it has some nice shading in it and the raised areas are not that white like the others.
ok heres one of another guardsman with out the base coat:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/DSC00482.jpg

ok i know i have to clean him up and i have. They have all been based in sand and will probably be left that way as it looks quite nice and a bit more real than painting it, also it goes very well with the harsher look of the brown under the khaki. when i get the camera i will show you the finished ones.

ss_cherubael
29-02-2012, 11:45
SO BEFORE I GET BANNED

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg

I haven't posted in this thread for nearly 6 years!!!!!

I vaguely remember starting this log when I had just started uni and I realised that I still wanted to game a bit and paint a bit so I pulled the guard back out and started painting again! (this is in tandem with my DE log in the xenos log area)

So to be honest I had painted some of my guard up in a scheme similar to the one earlier in this log, I swapped out the brown and for the stormies I have added some cammo. So enough talking, after six years I am guessing you want to see some pics!!!!!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/IMG_2282.jpg

So this is what I got done tonight, mainly base coated 7 guardsmen and sorted out some more squads of guard for painting tomorrow!

This is what they will look like when I am done

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/SS_Cherubael/IMG_2283.jpg

So plans for this army: Fluffy and cool is the name of the game here, I want to create an army that looks awesome on the table top and allows for some cool game play, not interested in winning every battle, just having fun.

I have heaps of infantry so that will be my core, however I love the valk models so will have a few of those with vet and stormy squads inside. Also because they are supposed to be airborne all the tanks will be steel legion (I will also have an inf platoon of steel legion).

Anyway none of that is important, so sit back enjoy the show and lets hope i get passed two pages this time

Vex
01-03-2012, 02:26
Looks good. Keep it up.

ss_cherubael
01-03-2012, 13:27
So I got some more base coating done tonight, also painted the boots!! I know that will seem weird to some but I am giving these guys brown boots as the ww2 British para guys wore brown boots so it gives them a more airborne feel.

ss_cherubael
08-03-2012, 12:21
Okay so a few more updates! Nearly finished the squad, will base them in city fight colors; so grey, was thinking desert but more sandy brown will wash these guys out I think.

Also excuse the crap photos, light was ***** and used my iPhone. As you can tell I have used washes and basic highlighting. With 60 infantry in this army I want to be able to get through them pretty quickly!

As normal comments appreciated !!

Dudde
08-03-2012, 14:44
Great work cherubael, the gaunt ghosts books are supurbe.
looking forward to more

ss_cherubael
09-03-2012, 07:15
Cheers mate!
Gotta pick up some valks and sort out my vets (grav chutes, berets and las carbines) and keep slogging away at my reg infantry.

I'll pop some photos up later of my converted command guys, plus I have the next steel legion squad here so they will get sprayed and painted this week if I dont have to go to parliament.

Cheers for looking

ss_cherubael
13-03-2012, 12:09
Okay more progress!!!

Started on a Russ, going to have a crack at some weathering from the fw master class book, should be fun.

Also did some basic conversion stuff, cut down the flammer so it looks like it could be carried on a jump, going to pop a canister on the cut fuel thingy and the missile launcher has been shortened as well.

Check em out: