PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question About Regiments of Renown

Inkosi
31-10-2006, 08:41
Hi i m relatively new in DOW, and i have some doubts about regiments of renown, those that have special names like Ricco republican guards, the alcatani fellowship etc.

Can we take more than a unit of them?

I tried looking in the rules for their list but it wasnt specified.

This question might sound rather dumb because inside individual regiment of renown they each have a named character, i dont think we can duplicate that character but can we have another same unit without that character?

Flame
31-10-2006, 08:50
There is nothing preventing you from doing it in either the Annual 2002 or the Chronicles 2004, (rulespoint of view)

However, it would be silly and you'd probably get derided for it. Plus most RoR aint that good, anyway!

Latro
31-10-2006, 09:02
The rules are vague enough to get into an argument about it ... not worth it if you ask me. Remember, some of them have magic items and you're not allowed to have duplicates of them so that would prevent you to take doubles of those specific units.

Inkosi
31-10-2006, 14:12
eh my gaming group wants to try out DOW only battle.

but if only can pick 1 of each regiment of renown there is quite limited choices.

And well since there are no specific rules saying no i guess it boils down to house rules then :cool:

Actually some of the regiments of renown are decent, but thanx for the help guys.

Latro
31-10-2006, 14:23
eh my gaming group wants to try out DOW only battle.

but if only can pick 1 of each regiment of renown there is quite limited choices.

Not really ... the DoW armylist gives you plenty of choice from the "generic" units, the Regiments of Renown are more something like Special Characters ... disguised as units.

Inkosi
01-11-2006, 02:06
Not really ... the DoW armylist gives you plenty of choice from the "generic" units, the Regiments of Renown are more something like Special Characters ... disguised as units.

forgive me poor wordings. i should have put DOW - regiments of renown only.

:D

we find the generic units abit dull. the regiments are much more colorful and their fluff is cool.

like the cursed company :D

squiggoth
01-11-2006, 05:17
There's no mentioning about taking multiples of the same Special Character in the books either, ey. GW must assume that people who play Warhamsters can figure out for themselves that "named" characters and units are unique. ;)

In the 5th edition DoW army book it was mentioned that you couldn't field duplicates of the same RoR in the same army, and that if both players fielded the same RoR it was because one of the two units were obviously imposters. :p
Mind, back in 5th edition there were ONLY RoR units in the Dogs of War army ..... Not a single vanilla Dogs of War unit.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-11-2006, 06:22
There's no mentioning about taking multiples of the same Special Character in the books either, ey. GW must assume that people who play Warhamsters can figure out for themselves that "named" characters and units are unique. ;)

What is that your talking about? Don't be silly, they are not at all unique, they are just another option like you can have a Black Orc Warboss you can have a Grimgor...:rolleyes:

Now, most of them are lord choices, so it won't come up much, but it wouldn't have hurt if GW mentioned them being unique somewhere...

Griefbringer
01-11-2006, 07:46
Mind, back in 5th edition there were ONLY RoR units in the Dogs of War army ..... Not a single vanilla Dogs of War unit.

Actually, there was one, if you consider the paymaster's bodyguard.

JJpenguin
01-11-2006, 19:51

well although GW published RAW you have to use SOME logic and be reasonable seeing as otherwise empire armies with runefangs would win all the time

it says all empire hits auto wound w. no AS

jjpenguin

Lord Zarkov
01-11-2006, 20:26
no it just says 'all hits wound...'
magic weapon abilities apply only to the wielder unless otherwise stated

Mephistofeles
01-11-2006, 22:38
"we find the generic units abit dull. the regiments are much more colorful and their fluff is cool."

WTF dude? Don't you think that's a little bit to much a "GW-Slave" way of thinking?

The units which use generic-unit-rules from DoW aren't "dull" or less colourfull, it's just that GW hasn't written theํr fluff for you. Each DoW unit is unique and special, they are mercenaries for hire, backstabbing sellswords and untrustworthy Dogs, all of them, even if they don't all have a special character and som special rules. Make you own names and stories for them, paint them in cool colours, put heroes in them and pretend that they are their leaders, just like the RoR... They aren't dull, they are even COOLER, since you can make them what ever you want!

squiggoth
02-11-2006, 15:47
"we find the generic units abit dull. the regiments are much more colorful and their fluff is cool."

WTF dude? Don't you think that's a little bit to much a "GW-Slave" way of thinking?

... //snip // ...

They aren't dull, they are even COOLER, since you can make them what ever you want!

Seconded!
I was always under the impression that Special Characters are a bit like pre-chewed food .... It does its basic job, but it does it horrible.
I've used special caharcters in BloodBowl on occassion for the simple reason that there was no way of getting a pogostick or chainsaw maniak without fielding Scrappa Sorehead or Nobbla Blackwort, but in WHFB you'll see me playing in a pink skirt before you see me fielding Grimgor, Azagh or Weedy Archaon. SC's are mainly overpriced, dull and colourless gits with pre-chewed fluff. :p

I'm tempted to start using Skarsnik on occasion though ..... Night Goblin armies have always been my favourite and the new model is sexy. Obviously he will not be fielded as Skarsnik but as Tuffgit Moonsilva and his pet Squig Fangz. ;)