PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Armour

mattjgilbert
31-10-2006, 12:40
Getting back into WFB after quite some time. Wizards always used to be affected by wearing armour but I cannot find any reference to this in the new rule book or what the restriction/penalties are. A page ref would be cool :)

I'm assuming the army books restrict access to armour for magic users but is there is no general rule anymore? Can magic users wear magic armour?

Sorry for the dumb question ;)

WLBjork
31-10-2006, 12:49
Pg 121, Magic Armour, last paragraph of this subsection.

A character not allowed to wear ordinary armour cannot be given magical armour/helms (unless differently specified in the army books.

edit: Most wizards cannot wear armour anyway, so there is now no specific rule forbiding Wizards to wear armour AFAIK (probably because the only exceptions were Chaos characters with Mark of Tzeentch and Blood Dragon vampires).

Festus
31-10-2006, 13:03
Hi

There are a few more, actually: There are Magic Items that make the bearer into a sorcerer/wizard, and those have the option to use armour, as well as von Carstein IIRC.

T10
31-10-2006, 13:40
von Carstein vampire thralls have the option of taking heavy armour and shields, but the von Carstein vampire count and lords do not use mundane armour.

But the rules on magical armour are quite specific. No magical armour if you cannot take mundane armour, and no magical shield if you cannot take a mundane shield.

-T10

gilber987
31-10-2006, 15:41
I don't now about the new rule book but why you want to get an armour in the wizard, you will losse the option to cast magic wich is the main idea of them?

Jedi152
31-10-2006, 15:44
Basically there is a couple of rules that come into play here.

Wizards cannot cast magic if they wear armour. This isn't normally an option though, as few wizards have the option of armour. This brings the second rule into play...

You cannot choose magic armour if the list doesn't allow to wear normal armour.

I'm afraid i don't have page references.

mattjgilbert
31-10-2006, 15:51
I don't now about the new rule book but why you want to get an armour in the wizard, you will losse the option to cast magic wich is the main idea of them?I don't _want_ to. Like I said, you didn't used to be able to take armour but the new rulebook doesn't say anything about it. I was asking if anything had changed :)

Festus
31-10-2006, 15:56
Hi

I'm afraid i don't have page references.
And I am afraid that this is the problem here, as the rule about Wizards and Armour does not exist anymore in 7th...

Festus

edit: To be precise -

In 6th, you had a blanket statement, on p.152, to the effect that a Wizard may not wear Armour and cast spells.

In 7th, you just have the note that most Wizards don't have an armour option and thus are not able to buy one. Nothing about the rest (p.121)

Gekiganger
31-10-2006, 16:11
There were always things that didn't go with the norm (Old Warpstone Armour and Chaos Armour come to mind), so there is the chance that it wasn't included incase wizards that DO have the option to wear armour can choose these, stops new players getting confused (Although that isn't much excuse as any armour that a wizard would want to wear says it doesn't prevent spell casting).

Jedi152
01-11-2006, 06:08
Hi

And I am afraid that this is the problem here, as the rule about Wizards and Armour does not exist anymore in 7th...

Festus

edit: To be precise -

In 6th, you had a blanket statement, on p.152, to the effect that a Wizard may not wear Armour and cast spells.

In 7th, you just have the note that most Wizards don't have an armour option and thus are not able to buy one. Nothing about the rest (p.121)
Aha. I don't actually have the 7th book yet you see...

Presumably the second rule i posted is still valid?

mattjgilbert
01-11-2006, 06:52
Was reading through the HE book last night and could not see where the mages were not allowed to buy magic armour...did I miss some small piece of text somewhere?

T10
01-11-2006, 07:10
High Elf Mages do not have the option of buying mundane armour or shields.

The general rules regarding magical armour therefore deny them the opportunity to buy magical armour or shields.

-T10

mattjgilbert
01-11-2006, 08:09
Ah right. Cheers.