PDA

View Full Version : Unit breaking/destroyed within 6" and direction of fleeing

Crispus
01-11-2006, 12:12
The ruleboook states that a unit wich fails its panic test (caused by a friendly unit within 6" breaking or being destroyed) flees from the point where the friendly unit was destroyed/broken. Where is this point more exactly?

In the case of a unit being destroyed by shooting/magic it seems resonable to say that this point is in the centre of the destroyed unit.
However if a unit is broken or destroyed in close combat would you still say that the point is in the centre or on the edge where the friendly unit where in contact with the enemy unit?

Usually the position of this 'point' has minimal impact on the game but in rare cases when the panic-testing unit is close to a large unit being destroyed (say a large lanceformation) it could be more important.

How are you playing it? I think (never really thought about it untill now :) ) my gaming club has been using the centre of the unit but it would be nice to know if anyone thinks differently. Maybe I'm just making things more complicated than they have to be. :)

Avian
01-11-2006, 12:18
AFAIK pretty much all the fleeing rules deal with lines from center to center, thus that is what I use for direction, with the distance being the shortest line between the edges of the two units.

It could have been better explained, but the only case of edge-to-edge fleeing I can find deals with units breaking from close combat.

Festus
01-11-2006, 12:56
Hi

If you are having trouble defining it, you should make a house rule.
Idea: The easiest way would be to declare the standard of a unit as its *point*, or failing that, the middle of its front row.

Festus