PDA

View Full Version : Space above and beyond

The boyz
02-04-2005, 10:45
Has anybody seen this program on tv before. I remember seeing it on BBC 2 I think years ago.Then they started showing it the Sci-fi channel on sky. I thought it was pretty good at the time.Does anybody know if it came out on DVD?

Xhalax
02-04-2005, 17:40
Wow...that's a blast from the past!
I remember watching a few episodes years ago in the middle of the night on BBC 2 (they started showing it quite late and then it got later and later).
I could never decided whether I liked it or not thought.
I mean it was alright....but was it worth staying up til the small hours to watch?
The thing was, as I finally started to come to a decision, they stopped showing it and shipped it off to Sky.
My mum really enjoyed it thought.

As for DVDs.....I dunno. All I could find on Amazon.co.uk was a book

Puffin Magician
02-04-2005, 18:23
I watched quite a few episodes, the show was televised in Canada before I stumbled upon the joys of Babylon 5 and the later seasons of Voyager [yes I do like the show!], so it was for a time my only regular scifi fix.

The best result I saw was fan-made DVDs... can't begin to vouch for quality or delivery... here (http://web-worthy.com/saab/merch-video.html#DVD)'s a link anyway!

There's always the shockgasphorror Kazaa/etc route.

Kohhna
02-04-2005, 20:22
Yes I remember that one. Morgan and Wong, who were behind a lot of the early X files stories wrote it. It wasn't bad, it had a quite good premise though most of the ideas were ripped off military Sci-fi (Sten, starship troopers etc.). I remember it started out a bit ropey but improved gradually and the finale of season 2 (the last one ever I think) absolutely rocked.

I also remember that it was on after a late night comedy slot that had a Bill bailey Tv serise in it for a while and then this sketch show for new acts that contained the genisis of Ali G, Peep Show and jerry Springer the opera among other things.

The boyz
03-04-2005, 12:32
Cheers for the help lads. I just wondered if it did at some point come out on DVD. Because me and my Father where talking about it a while ago.And it bought back some pretty cool memorys of that program.

Wintermute
03-04-2005, 14:29
Yes I remember that one. Morgan and Wong, who were behind a lot of the early X files stories wrote it. It wasn't bad, it had a quite good premise though most of the ideas were ripped off military Sci-fi (Sten, starship troopers etc.). I remember it started out a bit ropey but improved gradually and the finale of season 2 (the last one ever I think) absolutely rocked.

It was cancelled after only one season. It may have looked like two seasons because the opening credits were revamped mid-season - always an indicator of a show with ratings problems.

Xhalax
03-04-2005, 15:51
Ah that would explain that.
As an extremely casual, almost non-watcher, I thought that there was a second series when i saw different opening credits.

Ok....what exactly was the series about? Coz from what i remember, i can't actually remember....well....anything.

Lafeel Abriel
03-04-2005, 16:15
I remember watching this. It was shown on Icelandic tv, as I recall. Rather liked it, actually, and was unamused with it ending so open ended like, and never seeing more of it..

The boyz
03-04-2005, 19:01
Yeah I used to enjoy watching it. I saw the last episode on the sci-fi channel a thew years ago. Apparentley the Aliens they where fighting where some kind of humanoid, related to us. Because they attacked one of the Aliens home planets and caputured one of the Aliens and interregated him.Something like that anyway.

Wintermute
03-04-2005, 19:33
Space Aboveand Beyond followed the experiences of a Marine Fighter Squadron following them through basic training (in the pilot) and into war with an unknown Alien species nick-named the Chigs who attacked human colonies without warning. The squadron commander and one of the young officers were invitros - humans grown outside the womb created to combat androids, known as AIs. The invitros were subjected to predjudice by some humans and a few stories in the show examined this area.

The AI's rebelled against their human creators due to their programming being altered. Once again one of the Squadron had a bad experience of AIs- her parents were killed by them during the AI war. The AIs appear in the show in their own right and as allies of the Chigs.

Even though the Marines are trained fighter pilots are, unbeliveably, also used as ground troops.

The show used every war story cliche you could think of, poorly, and the scripts were not very good.

It was shot in Australia, IIRC, and most of the money seemed to have been spent on the CGI which was good for the time, and not on the scripts or the props. It was no surprise when the show was cancelled.

Most of the main cast later appeared in Millenium (by the same writers Morgan & Wong) and/or The X-Files and that included those cast members who were not even married to one of the writers :rolleyes:

Marsekay
04-04-2005, 01:27
Haha i remember this, the Hammer head ship was ace.
Wernt the people grown in tanks called "tanks"?
Didnt they have little scars in their necks?