PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft TCG

devolutionary
02-11-2006, 03:21
I'm a card gamer from back in the old Tempest/Stronghold/Exodus days of Magic (i.e. just before it really nose-dived hard) and more recently Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, got my roleplaying games, computer games, web design, computer programming, Sci-Fi DVDs, and love for comics and wargames, so I figured, what the hell! Let's get back in to card-gaming! It's been a while, but it was always fun.

So WoW, yes I play the computer game, and the card game was well recommended by my LGS. So I gotta ask - who is playing this game? I just picked up a starter and a few boosters, and I'm quietly impressed. It seems fairly well designed, taking enough of the basic, traditional card game mechanics and mixing in enough Warcraft to make it thoroughly refreshing. Good art too, smooth card layout, and the rules are only really vague in one area (resources, but it's not too hard to figure out). Any thoughts or opinions? Any interesting loot cards or epics?

I picked up a Hearthstone and a Blood Elf, which was mighty fine for 3 boosters and a starter. No loot yet though ;)

m1s1n
02-11-2006, 16:42
I see it advertized everywhere, but I've never bought it because I don't think I would play it. How does the game system work?

devolutionary
02-11-2006, 18:19
Usual tap to attack, etc... You use cards are resources (making them unusable otherwise), playing them face down and tapping for 1 resource. Allies form the bulk of your forces, and the hero is equipped with 1 melee weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 armour at each location, etc... each hero has a class, equipment has class and faction requirements. It's actually fairly similar to a party-based computer game, in as much as that there is you and then your meat-shields. The use of normal cards played face-down for resources is quite nice, of course.

Nimol
04-11-2006, 12:25
Ive played World of Warcraft for about a year.

But I quitted a few weeks ago.

Its such a great game, I enjoyed playing it alot but...

There are some things that just ruined it for me. Since WoW is a social game you will rely on other people alot to get anywhere in the game. Stuff like killing big bosses for some items and all that.

Well, the game is alot about raiding instances, wich are dungons filled with "Evil" monsters wich can be killed for items.

The game is about getting good items, and the best ones you can get are through instance, that needs atleast 5 people to complte.

You can gain levels, you start at level 1 and can get to level 60 max(70 in the new expansion/upgrade)and the higher level you are the more serious the game gets.

At level 60 the entire goal of the game is turned upside down.

You will be able to take part in "Raids" in instances, there are some 5-10 player ones, but if you want to take it to the next limit youll be finding your self going to 20-40 player raids.

Now, 40 people, imagine 39 other people like you, that you have to work with.

It can go good, and it cna go extremly bad, either way they will steal alot of your time.

Raiding for me was like doing a job with no solid pay.

4-6 hours every day atleast on raiding, plus you have to do alot of things to get ready for raids, train up certain proffesions, farm money(gold) for repairs healing/mana pots etc

Conclusion.

WoW is a great game, but it takes alot of time to get the best out of it, I was casual and it really ruined it for me, plus I had disconnection problems.

People should try it out and judge it them selfs tho

Dtrik
04-11-2006, 15:11
Ive played World of Warcraft for about a year.
-insert WoW rant-

Well as interesting as your experience with the World of Warcraft game is, Im pretty sure they are talking about the card game:p I think it looks interesting but Ive never liked card games (except for Steve Jackson's Munchkin!!!!!!) so I probably wont buy it. Have you played any games yet? The idea of a party seems cool and unique.

Nimol
04-11-2006, 15:24
Well as interesting as your experience with the World of Warcraft game is, Im pretty sure they are talking about the card game:p I think it looks interesting but Ive never liked card games (except for Steve Jackson's Munchkin!!!!!!) so I probably wont buy it. Have you played any games yet? The idea of a party seems cool and unique.

hehe I thought they were talking about game cards for wow ? :confused:

O well a little practice of gramma never hurts...ehmm :eek:

MY BAD!!!!

devolutionary
04-11-2006, 19:02
Well party play isn't precisely new, it's merely an extension. And really, the "party" is just yourself, the guy with all the loot, and a bunch of single-talent blockers. Occassionally you can give them a nifty ability, but they have no equipment. You get all the equipment, armour, and weaponry.

I haven't played it yet, but I hope to this week, provided I can manage to get in to Auckland and therefore my LGS.

And yes, Munchkin kicks ass :D

VanHel
05-11-2006, 07:55
I'm just waiting for the owner of the LGS to start breaking down the blisters into single cards to sell. I'm sure that since I'm an awesome customer I can get a loot card from him. (Tortise mount ftw!)