PDA

View Full Version : Viokni's Ulthwe' Log

viokni
02-11-2006, 05:38
Currently I have a finished shadow weaver and I have some warp spiders and andother Shadow weaver in the works. I currently don't have a camera (it's at my moms) so I can't show some pics but I think it looks pretty good. I don;t plan on using the standard Ulthwe scheme as I will be using 2 other colors in the army (Skull white and scab red) also I am gonna try painting each guardian in a different way. Some of them will have certain plates white while others will be black. Also on some they wont have Bleached bone but skull white. I hope you guys enjoy my painting.

He Who Laughs
02-11-2006, 06:14
Sweet, all this Eldar goodness is going to be great! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Back in the day (of 2nd edition) my first ever army was Ulthwe, using similar colours as you've chosen (and a similar idea of mixing up the colours across the squads)

May I give some suggestions based on my experience with such a colour scheme? (Well, I will anyway - I don't know how skilled a painter you are, so it's up to you if you want to take any notice! ;)

Don't go overboard with mixing the colours around too much - try and limit the variation to a certain selection of armour plates, otherwise you're squad will have little coherence and will look messy.

Scab Red doesn't contrast too well against the Black if you're only using that colour (building it up to Blood Red highlights through Red Gore will look good though), it also doesn't go onto black too well on its own.
To overcome this, try painting the Red areas SnakeBite Leather first (or another brown lighter than Scorched Brown / Dark Flesh) and then paint the Scab Red over that. The Scab Red will come through a lot stronger.

Best of luck with it! (Psst, get photos!) :p

viokni
02-11-2006, 23:55
well I am gonna try keeping the mixing of patterns to a minimum as I like a little coherancy (but not to the point it's monotonous) Also I plan to use red on smaller plates such as knee pads or face pads.

viokni
03-11-2006, 04:22
how do I post pictures so that you guys can see them? I hate those damn links....

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6420/imga0414za9.jpg
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8618/imga0415nl0.jpg
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3104/imga0416es1.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1020/imga0417li7.jpg

Heres the pics of a weapon platform and my finished operator. I don't know how to paint faces so IF I paint them they may not be that good....

He Who Laughs
03-11-2006, 04:53
Looking good so far mate - loving the position of the Support Weapon floating around the rocks - very fluid motion - looks like it's actively seeking out a target. Good stuff!

Painting is looking good - the transition red on the support weapon looks good. Keep it up!

If I may be so bold as to suggest a touch of highlighting? Highlighting the black is easy - mix a bit of codex grey or bleached bone into black and highlight the edges of the armour plates etc - then add a touch more of the lighter colour and highlight the fine edges.

Trust me, it's very quick, very simple, and can really bring out the shape and curves of the model. You'll surprise yourself.

I can't do faces either - but I found an easy way to do them. Paint the face either Dwarf or Bronzed Flesh first - then lightly ink (you'll need to water it down) with Flesh Wash - then lightly brush Elf Flesh over the raised areas of the face. Simple.

Keep up the good work - whats next in the pipeline?

viokni
03-11-2006, 05:08
Well I try doing some highlighting (not very much) but it doesn't appear well in the photo's.

Next up is either another operator (or my second shadow weaver) or if I get my mom to buy the boxset a few guardians (or a jetbike) (I think the old boxset is a far better deal)

I plan on doing ALL my vehichles in a similar fashion to the grav platform. Except of course I will do it in a different pattern.

viokni
13-11-2006, 00:32
Ok I found my half finished warp spiders, got some guardian platforms for cheap, and got another shadow weaver. I hope to have atleast some of the spiders done by next weekend.

Fusion
13-11-2006, 13:25
Try painting with something other than poster paint, use a brush that is suitbale for the scale of the model and for godsakes, thin your paints.

I mean, it's an ok scheme, but the painting is pretty substandard.

Basically, you need to do these things -

1) Thin your paint
2) Tidy up your painting

That is all.

ExoCowboy
13-11-2006, 14:32
Try painting with something other than poster paint, use a brush that is suitbale for the scale of the model and for godsakes, thin your paints.

1) Thin your paint
2) Tidy up your painting

That is all.

I do not totally agree. Yes, you should try to thin the paints (I used to hear that too, before I did it - and afterwards, I didn't regret it a bit), and there can always be more tidying up or other detailing. Anyways, the models look ok to me, not "substandard". On the tabletop when the army is done, you should have a nice cohesive force you can be proud of.

So dont let negative comments to dishearten you, just practise (and add some water, but not too much, to paints to get them a bit more thin), and keep on painting. And oh yeah, keep posting pics - at least I am eager to see the army progress. :cool:

FearFrost
13-11-2006, 16:28

1) Thin your paint
2) Tidy up your painting

That is all.

This isnt constructive criticism, this is being a dick disguised as being helpful.

There is a thing called tact, and you should use it.

Bloodthirster90
13-11-2006, 16:42
Fusion, though crudely put, has a point. We all know the GW paints arent stuff you can use straight out of the pot and onto the model. All you need to do viokni, is dip your brush in a bit of water, get most of it off and then dip it in your paint. from there, you can get a better, less clumped paintjob. True, it will take more than one coat (if it's thin enough) but you'll agree that once you try it, you'll be pleased with the difference.

Arhalien
13-11-2006, 20:13
[QUOTE=Bloodthirster90;1071300]Fusion, though crudely put, has a point. We all know the GW paints arent stuff you can use straight out of the pot and onto the model. QUOTE]

Ultramarines blue and boltgun metal seem ok for me on my High Elves straight from the pot. When I try thinning my paint a bit it just tends to leech up the brush. However, I'll try it the way you suggest. I'll be starting an Eldar army after Christmas, and might start up my own project log.

Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic, I seem to be developing a bit of a habit of doing this.

FearFrost
13-11-2006, 20:25
Try about a 3:1 ratio of paint to water :)

Tom
13-11-2006, 20:35
Which, amusingly, is effectively just filling it up to the top straight in the pot itself (I know, it's a habit I have of watering dopwn the entire pot when I buy it...)

viokni
14-11-2006, 00:04
Well I am mostly a self taught painter so I don't really know to water paints ? Also where should I tidy my brushwork. Also Fusion didn't your mother teach you manners?

What brushes should I buy?

Fusion
14-11-2006, 00:14
Even licking the brush slightly before or after applying paint will help. Hell, you might end up with a Harlequinesque bottom lip, but that's the price we pay for beauty.

Oh and FearFrost - I wasn't trying to disguise anything in my comments. The painting is of a low standard, but then there's plenty of room for improvement. Look, if the kid continues to receive all this thinly veiled 'praise' from gimps on this forum who are sidestepping around his average painting, he's not going to improve much, is he?

...and yes, there is a thing called 'tact', but in this case I don't think it was particularly necessary.

Viokni - Keep it up matey, painting a decent bone colour is very rewarding, and I'm quite keen on seeing your Spiders when finished! Good luck!

FearFrost
14-11-2006, 01:12

Blind praise is a waste of time, I agree, but couching a bunch of negatives with phrases like "and for godsakes, thin your paint" without saying really anything positive is not what I would consider a good criticism.

I agree that we shouldn't let noobies fumble around and not do things right, (when we feel like we can offer advice) but stomping their egos flat in the process of trying to teach them something isn't helpful either. Hence my call for "tact".

Viokni: get a palette. A new white tile (cheap!) or a plate will give you something to mix on.

Take an old brush and dab some paint on your palette, then mix a little drop of water into it. Clean off the old brush and then try to paint with this thinned paint. If it seems too thin and isnt covering, try to mix a bit more paint into it. You want to keep the consistency to something around coffee cream, if that makes any sense.

Good luck with your eldar, if you need any more help post here or PM me :)

bloodwraith
14-11-2006, 01:37
i personally use the paint straight from the pot alot of the time, although for the most part i put a drop of water in the lid.

Onto the painting, it is a good first effort but there is alot of improvement to be had. Two questions, what brand of paint are you using and what sized brushes are you painting with?