PDA

View Full Version : Orc and Goblin Special Characters

Asrai Wraith
02-11-2006, 12:22
I was reading the Orc special characters the other night and I can't find a rule that states one can't use these special characters legally in your army.

The special characters are disallowed in other armies but in the orc book they are part of the lord's section.

Anyone out there who can help.:confused:

Thanks

Multifarious
02-11-2006, 12:30
You can use them legally in your army without anyone stopping you. They can however slap you silly or refuse to play against you anyway.

Avian
02-11-2006, 13:17
The special characters are disallowed in other armies
No, they are not. No army book for 6th edition or later has treated special characters as anything other than a normal part of the army.

intellectawe
02-11-2006, 16:13
He must have 40k on the brain.

TheWarSmith
02-11-2006, 17:11
even 4th edition 40k codexes(and some from 3rd) don't say anything about opponent's permission.

Lots of tournaments have special amendments that say no special characters and apendix lists.

Big Boss Gerblash
02-11-2006, 17:41
I was reading the Orc special characters the other night and I can't find a rule that states one can't use these special characters legally in your army.

The special characters are disallowed in other armies but in the orc book they are part of the lord's section.

Anyone out there who can help.:confused:

Thanks

I find that they do not have to be the general slightly odd you can take Skarsnik and have a black orc big boss as your general..........:wtf:

DeathlessDraich
02-11-2006, 17:48
That's exactly it WarSmith. Tournaments normally state that special characters at the back or appendix lists are disallowed.
The O&G book is the first 6th or 7th ed that places special characters on the same page as the usual Warbosses etc.
I think that has led to some confusion.

Rikkjourd
02-11-2006, 22:55
I still think special characters should have remained out of the standard lists. Some SC's and their freaky special rules just dominate and twist the whole game at 2-3k points.

It can become more like "army A versus special character X" instead of "army A versus army B"...

Crazy Harborc
03-11-2006, 00:22
Around here/places I game, special characters are "not allowed" by a choice of the opponents and or by the game's master/management. I've got a feeling that will change as more new armybooks are released to replace the leftovers in use now.

Ice-T
05-11-2006, 06:31
Another funny thing about the OG special characters - it doesn't say that you can only take one of each (so technically, you could take more than one Skarsnik :wtf: ).
However, i think this'll be clarified in the upcoming Q&A...

Avian
07-11-2006, 07:52
Another funny thing about the OG special characters
It doesn't say that for any special characters anywhere. Heck, I cannot recall any mention ever in the last four editions that you could not have duplicate special characters.

T10
07-11-2006, 08:21
I think that has led to some confusion.

I too think that has led to some confusion. But only among people who are distracted by shiny objects, noises and other stimuli you would not find in a sensory deprevation tank.

-T10

Axel
07-11-2006, 10:08
It doesn't say that for any special characters anywhere. Heck, I cannot recall any mention ever in the last four editions that you could not have duplicate special characters.

Seems that with some freaks exploiting it, it has found entry into the new Eldar Codex ("There can only be one Yriel in your army"... WHAT???)

Lets see wath Empire brings

Sureshot05
07-11-2006, 10:49
Another funny thing about the OG special characters - it doesn't say that you can only take one of each (so technically, you could take more than one Skarsnik :wtf: ).
However, i think this'll be clarified in the upcoming Q&A...

I hadn't noticed this, but I suppose in large games you could now field a Skarsnik and Gobbla horde! With two editions of the model, it would be nice and clear.

Though of course, that would lead to all sorts of problems with dirty tricks etc. (Do you roll once per Skarsnik in your army :wtf: ?)

However, I doubt that anyone will actually take advantage of this oversight.

squiggoth
07-11-2006, 14:10
Seems that with some freaks exploiting it, it has found entry into the new Eldar Codex ("There can only be one Yriel in your army"... WHAT???)

Lets see wath Empire brings

"You may field one Valten of foot, one Valten on horse and one Valten on Silly Elfish Horse That Dies Really Easily. You can not have more Valtens, unless your opponent fields 3+ Archaons."

:D

vampires are cool!
07-11-2006, 16:18
i didnt like the way they set it out in the O&G book. i prefered them being at the back of the book, i guess it just made it more impressive that way

eldrak
07-11-2006, 22:50
They are just messing up the army list sections. And the summary is really awful, everything in alphabetic order (not same as in the section) and all units grouped together. What were they thinking?

As a final touch they hid it in the book (like they did with the dwarfs) with all the color pages after it (for printing reasons?).

I think i remember reading somewhere that you only could have one of each special character but it might have been some editions ago (or in Blood Bowl where you were allowed to have several of the same).

Crazy Harborc
07-11-2006, 23:20
Well, I guess until a "don't do that anymore" about duplicate special characters in the same army is forthcoming from GW.......I'll talk it over with opponents BEFORE the armies are ready to move out.

Why would ya want duplicate special characters in a army list and the battle?? Mumble, mumble.....cheesey army list that would be..mumble. Oh well to each their own:)