PDA

View Full Version : Want to get back into 40k, Eldar questions

pestario
02-11-2006, 15:17
Ok I really like the new Eldar models and those were the original models I bought way back when I first got interested in table top games 10-15 years ago.

I want to save some money and buy used figures but wasnt sure what has been redone and what has not. it looks like id be safe buying old

jetbikes
vyper
falcon
guardians
dire avengers

Everything else is being redone. Do i have anything listed that is being redone or am I missing anything else that is not being redone.

I appreciate your help.

Baneboss
02-11-2006, 15:34
DA are being redone. You can safely buy Warp Spiders as they are the same. All vehicles stay the same.

...and ofcourse welcome back to 40k.

Defenestratus
02-11-2006, 15:37
Go pickup the army box set!

CaptainSenioris
02-11-2006, 15:42
None of the old stuff has gone absolete so I'd say go with that. You can always buy the newer models over time whenever you can afford it.

Trinary
02-11-2006, 15:56
Warp Spiders, Shining Spears, Guardian Defenders, Storm Guardians, Jetbike Guardians, Warithguard, Warlocks, Swooping Hawks, and Pheonix Lords, are all old models. There are a couple new Warlocks, but most are old...

Old 2nd and 3rd edition Banshees and 2nd edition Fire Dragons can be converted easily to match the new ones.

Have fun.

pestario
02-11-2006, 15:57
thank you for all the help. Are Avatars Old or new?

DarthBinky
02-11-2006, 16:00
The standard avatar model is very old- it dates back to at least the early 1990s.

However, Forgeworld recently did their own sculpt of it. Looks nice too.

Bregalad
02-11-2006, 17:12
You can chose old and new minis as you like. I will mix them as seem fit.

From your list:
Vyper and Falcon get a new extra weapon sprue each to do all legal combos.
Guardians may get a new sprue with the old forms, but mostly need an extra platform (will be probably in new Guardian box, now separate).
Dire Avengers got a new plastic box with better options for Exarch and looking better than old models.
Forge World Avatar is bigger and miles ahead of the old and new GW one (but opinions vary).
Warp Spiders, Wraith Guard, Shining Spears, some Warlocks, Eldrad, the Phoenix Kings, and the Hawks stay the same, some in new packaging.

DarthBinky
02-11-2006, 17:53
Forge World Avatar is bigger and miles ahead of the old and new GW one (but opinions vary).

I heard rumors that there was a new GW one coming... are there any pics available?

Karhedron
02-11-2006, 20:56
I heard rumors that there was a new GW one coming... are there any pics available?
I do not think GW are doing a new Avatar any time soon. We have the choice of either the FW one or the existing metal one as far as I know.

Brimstone
02-11-2006, 21:06

The Forgeworld model is the GW model they passed it across to Forgeworld when they couldn't produce it economically.

So no new model from GW you have a new FW or the old GW one.

cybertron2000uk
02-11-2006, 21:53
eldar go for cheap prices on ebay....a squad of wraithguard being the most expensive out of all the whole range!! just buy a ebay army deal....

Old is new again!!! the old stuff is still really great if you can get em!!

you could buy an army of old minis for the price of 2 new metal squads! 18 quid for 5??? What???? thats not funny GW!!

Pheonix Lords are the greatest models to never use! happy hunting!