PDA

View Full Version : Characters charging out of units

Crispus
03-11-2006, 09:10
Can a character that is charging out of a unit pivot at the start of its chargemove (while still inside the unit)? If they can, are there anything that would differentiate mounted characters (chariot or steed) from 'on foot' in this matter?

Avian
03-11-2006, 11:15
He could not pivot at the start of the move, since there are other models in the way which he cannot move through. He could however move so that he was just outside the unit and then pivot, since you can pivot / wheel at any point during the charge.

gortexgunnerson
03-11-2006, 13:31
I had this discussion in a tournment as I had a saurus scar vet in a unit of skinks and he wished to charge out. As skirmishers he could see the unit he wanted to charge. But my oppenet argued that he couldnt charge out of the unit as their were models inbetween the saurus and the target and he would become a character and couldnt see.

I was saying he was a skirmisher at the start of the phase hence could see, and he had enough move to move round the unit if he couldnt move through his own skirmish unit. But my oppenet kicked off and I had a terrible hangover so didnt fight it.

But in answer to the question, he must be able to see it at the start when he is part of the unit. from then on if he makes a legal charge move its all good

Festus
03-11-2006, 13:47
Hi

he must be able to see it at the start when he is part of the unit. from then on if he makes a legal charge move its all good
Yes, that is the case.

Festus

T10
05-11-2006, 18:34
I had this discussion in a tournment as I had a saurus scar vet in a unit of skinks and he wished to charge out. As skirmishers he could see the unit he wanted to charge. But my oppenet argued that he couldnt charge out of the unit as their were models inbetween the saurus and the target and he would become a character and couldnt see.

I agree with your position.

Technically an individual model can only pivot once during the charge move, which would normally mean just turning to face the target unit and them move in a straight line - see the brilliant example of the charging Slann in the rule book. :) But that is just too awkward when dealing with skirmishers.

However, it appears that in the case of skirmishers, the rules are a bit more flexible, allowing the a single "bend" in the charge path as per the listed example. Perhaps it is not all that important that models with 360 degree line of sight face the direction they are moving. The illustration of skirmishers charging around a unit supports this.

Also, I believe the character needs to actually leave the unit in order to leave it, so he would not be obstructed by other unit members until he is past them.

-T10