PDA

View Full Version : Eldrad (new farseer conversion)

razza
03-11-2006, 19:48
Hi all!
I got hold of one of the fantastic new farseers last week and wanted to do something different with it. having eldrad kicking around i thought it would be a good chance to pimp him up a bit.
the conversion was pretty simple, i clipped the top of the staff and the arm off eldrad and then used a saw on the head. after a bit of filing i pinned the parts in place and then used a bit of green stuff on the sword arm to make an armour plate to match the right arm.
here it is ready for painting...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0040.jpg

the painting was along the same lines as the ulthwe farseer in white dwarf but using the traditional red instead of blue in places. the fun part was the freehand runes and script, i used the yellow on these as a throwback to the old ulthwe colours. The gems are painted in turquoise and purple to get away from using primary colours, i think this always works well on eldar.

anyway, here is the finished fig so let me know what you think!
cheers! Daz

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0055-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0050.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0048.jpg

razza
03-11-2006, 19:49
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0052.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0049.jpg

KnightofUltramar
03-11-2006, 19:55
That's a very impressive model Razza. Very nice conversion too. I really like how you painted the wraithbone. And ofcourse, great freehand details.

KoU

Luke
03-11-2006, 19:57
:O Absolutely stunning! That is the finest Eldar I have seen. I love that purple, it works extremely well. How can you have that much talent?

Steel_Legion
03-11-2006, 20:43
looking fantastic, excelent paintjob, gems are one of the best i have seen and the wraithbone is fantastic, purples really well highlighted, i cant see a single flaw, one of the best eldar i have ever seen, if not the best

Mika
03-11-2006, 20:58
That is a brilliant color scheme, bravo!

FearFrost
03-11-2006, 21:04
Holy. @#%.

That might be your best model yet, at least of what I have seen. Great conversion, fantastic paint.

Banesword
03-11-2006, 21:06
*steal that idea*

now I dont have to decide between Eldrad and the new farseer.

Cad@veR
03-11-2006, 21:25
Even thou I HATE Eldar... I just adore what you achieved there my friend! Well Done...indeed

razza
03-11-2006, 21:28
cheers guys! thanks for all the feedback! Daz

Boss_Salvage
03-11-2006, 21:33
Magnificent work, really fantastic stuff. Also, I never realized just how awesome Eldrad's head is - that rear antler is the summation of the Eldar aesthetic ...

Thanks much for sharing!

- Salvage

Erestor
03-11-2006, 21:45
Why must you torture us so Daz? Why?

Melchor
03-11-2006, 21:48
I hate you...

How can you paint like that? It's inhuman!

No offence... ;)

Brush your teeth
03-11-2006, 21:51
you really know how to make a guy look at his newly painted models stainding pruodly beside him and realise they arent quite as good as you first thought :p

looking excellent as always

Machinepriest
03-11-2006, 22:06
If I eat your brain... Will I inherit your amazing painting skills or will I just come down with a bad case of diarrhea?

This is so beautiful it almost makes me cry... Really.

Aquilla
03-11-2006, 22:11
Really nice job.
Love how you brought back the old scheme in him.
Well done!

Lithanial
03-11-2006, 22:11
Stunning paint job there, if you could share your white/bone colour formulae i'd be gratefull. Allways had trouble with it.

Do you use any special paints for these or is it just several layers of GW ones to make it look so rich?

Scorpio
03-11-2006, 22:18
Incredible. That has got to be one of the best models i have ever seen. If not the best. I am seriously in awe of you and i hope you'll share more of your eldar with us.

-Scorpio

Ziljin
03-11-2006, 22:57
damn that is amazing.

Gonfrask
03-11-2006, 23:16
There is only one word i can say: :eek: กกกกกกก

MAD MAN-A-TRON
03-11-2006, 23:25
Beautiful work sir, well done.

crandall87
03-11-2006, 23:32
wow that is one well painted model! the simple conversion also makes it look great and that is a super pose.

violenceha
04-11-2006, 00:00
Very impressive, any chance you'll be trying the same thing on the pheonix lords?

Siromcyre
04-11-2006, 00:38
You have remarkable painting skills my friend.

smokingmonkee
04-11-2006, 00:43
I love the simplicity of the conversion. It is quite an elegant model and your painting is quite phenomenal.

BodhiTree
04-11-2006, 00:45
How in the heck did you do the tiny runes on the cloak - the black on yellow? I can't understand...

squiggoth
04-11-2006, 01:00
I love the simplicity of the conversion. It is quite an elegant model and your painting is quite phenomenal.

That's more or less exactly what i wanted to say. Brilliant!

Even though it's a ruddy no good panzee weirdboy. :D

rivers3162
04-11-2006, 01:07
Sir, Damn you for making me want to do Eldar! My girlfriend will kill me if I bring more boxes of little plastic men into the house but the temptation....oh the temptation!

silveryfox
04-11-2006, 01:50
Damn, that's nice! I'm goona copy that right off... *drool*

Evilgnome
04-11-2006, 11:07
Fantastic work! Inspiring!
Gorgeous blends and a good sense of contrast.

Did you have a microscope and trained fleas with paint on their feet for the Eldar runes on the bottom of the cloak?

Corai
04-11-2006, 11:35
Eldrad Lives!! Great paintjoba nd flawless conversion. Well done

Luke
04-11-2006, 11:58
Razza, I would like to know why the studio does not encourage you do do things like this for them. Surely if WD ran an article on a model such as this conversion and the paintjob it would be a huge success for them?

I mean with the new Eldar release it would be 100% appropriate.

Latro_
04-11-2006, 12:17
you deserver to have someone run over your finger with a panzer tank!

hehe thats eavy metal x 2 standard my friend, you got the skills right there!

razza
04-11-2006, 12:32
thankyou all again for you kind comments! :)
i've never had such good feedback, i'll post a painting guide later for anyone who wants to know. (no fleas in the guide)
thanks! Daz

Latro_
04-11-2006, 14:01
really does make me wanan vomit, :(

out of interest how long did you spend painting it.

you should write general painting articles! for us average painters to become prozorz :P

Inquisitor lorr
04-11-2006, 14:34
Amazing as usual,i look forward to your guide...

The bone and runes are just incredible.

athamas
04-11-2006, 14:56
:p....

that is all i have to say....

*wanders off grumling about how good razza is at painting..*

well done,

Sandlemad
04-11-2006, 21:52
Most impressive, far superior to the original model, particularly in the way he holds the staff.
I love the red and am impressed especially by how you managed to get it to work with the purple. I can only suppose that it's so good because it's fairly subtle.
Damn good conversion with a damn good paintjob.

Kamin_Majere
04-11-2006, 22:11
is it wrong of me to want to cut off your head so i can steal your power:p

That is an amazing farseer/eldrad. Makes mine look like i painted them with finger paints during an earthquake.

I egarly await the guide so i may attempt to copy this...attempt:cries:

silveryfox
05-11-2006, 02:09
I'd love a guide on this one. Really looking forward to it!

Messiah
05-11-2006, 02:27
Amazing.The complexity of the simplicity of it is how all great works of art should be.

Cyboss GrimTeef
05-11-2006, 05:38
Absolutely stunning. There is really nothing else I can add, but to ask a question or two...

1. how do you get such a smooth finish on your minis? A good example would be your Skaven bloodbowl team. I know those are metal minis, and they will have a small pitted texture on them that invariably shows up in the paint. How do you avoid this?

2. what are you using when you paint the small runes? Are you cutting the paint with water, or magic wash (future floor wax), or something else?

Great work, and your reply would be most appreciated.

polymphus
05-11-2006, 06:43
The angle of the sword looks a little weird from the front. But then again, that paintjob has to be one of the most amazing I've ever seen. If you'll all excuse me, I'm going to sit in the corner and gibber quietly to myself.

citizenkade
05-11-2006, 07:10
I think you're work is absolute garbage, and that model sucks.

HAHA! KIDDING! WOW! Seriously amazing work... Unfortunatly, you have to die now, merely for being far too talented. Okay, not die. Just dead to me.

I'm going to go cry now...

razza
05-11-2006, 07:53
Hi, thanks again for all the comments and here is the painting guide as promised.

THE BLACK
*chaos black
*black+regal mix first highlight
*add codex grey to the black and regal mix
*then use codex grey on its own
*then use fortress grey
*then i used a small amount of white just on the sharp areas of the helmet.

THE BONE
*start with a basecoat of bronzed flesh
*layer on bubonic brown next
*then layer on bleached bone
*then mix bleached and white for a thin layer again
*then i used thinned flesh wash in any shaded areas
*the sword was given a few layers of purple glaze around the rune.
*then to finish all the bone was given a sharp highlight with white.

THE CLOAK PURPLE
*first i made a mix of regal blue, liche purple and a small amount of warlock purple and used it as a basecoat.
*i then kept adding more warlock purple for each highlight untill i was happy.
*i then started adding spacewolves grey for the next stage of highlights.
the cloak did take a while to paint as it had many thin layers on it but it gives a nice smooth finish in the end.

RED CLOTH
*scab red basecoat
*scab+blood mix
*blood red on its own
*blood+blazing orange mix
*then blazing orange on its own
*fine highlight of dwarf flesh
*then a very thin highlight of dwarf+white where needed

GOLD
*brazen brass
*shining gold
*burnished gold
*burnished+mithril mix
*thinned brown ink in any shaded areas
*then i used very thin mithril silver on the edges

YELLOW RUNES ETC
*very thin bubonic brown for the first coat
*then layer sunburst yellow over the bubonic
*then mix sunburst and white for another highlight
*then white on its own
the bubonic give a good solid base for the yellow to go over which helps a lot when keeping it all neat.

TURQUOISE GEMS
*hawk turquoise+black mix
*then turquoise on its own
*then mix in spacewolves grey for anothe highlight
*then use spacewolves on its own at the bottom edge
*add a dot of white at the top of the gem

PURPLE GEMS
*scab red
*warlock purple
*mix in spacewolves grey
*then use spacewolves on the bottom edge
*add a dot of white at the top of the gem
using spacewolves to highlight both sets of gems helps tie it all together.

i think thats about all the colours, it doesn't seem much when i put it like this does it? :)
it's safe to say that i had a lot of fun painting this fig as it's so smooth and sharp it almost paints itself.
i've got a half finished karandras i might do soon and a converted autarch would be very cool aswell, ideas anyone?

answers to questions...
the smooth finish on the figs i paint is done with a good clean up of the fig before painting and just keeping the paint thin when painting. oh and use a decent brush:)

the only thing i mix into my paints to thin them is....water! i use nothing else. these are water based paints so nothing else is needed. besides i stick the bush in my mouth a lot so i'd kill myself if i did use floor wax or something ;)

i think that's it, tell me if i've missed anything. i'd also be happy to answer more questions if anyone has any.
thanks again! Daz

Erestor
05-11-2006, 09:02
Thanks for the rundown, very comprehensive, thanks also for taking the time to post this.

Do you wet blend or are the layers dry, or sometimes both?

Can you give some simple tips for doing such small freehand work? What kind of brush, or do the trained fleas drag one of your hairs around?

Inquisitor lorr
05-11-2006, 11:35
Yeh thanks for that guide,its a big help and very thorough..:p

Oh and check your pm

spikyjames
05-11-2006, 11:41
great guide razza, i've made sure i've saved this one.:)

james

The Judge
05-11-2006, 13:10
Stunning. Simply stunning.

Dr Death
05-11-2006, 15:49
A very fine conversion, it truly does justice to the Jes Goodwin sculpts it's based on and the end result maintains the chrispness of the lines of the miniature. If GW released that as an updated Eldrad, it wouldnt look out of place which is the true sign of a great conversion- something that looks like it was made that way and can genuinely trick you into thinking nothing has been changed at all.

Dr Death

BodhiTree
05-11-2006, 18:36
I can't find where you explained how to do the tiny black runes. If you or anyone else can point it out to me, that would rock. What size of brush does that take? Do you need to do it under a lense? How many of my children do I have to sign over to the devil? Thanks in advance. :)

(I'll make you some cookies.)

baphomael
06-11-2006, 22:46
I'd *so* enter that into Golden Demon.

I just love that conversion. It's so simple yet perfect. The best conversions are always those that dont look like conversions and, if I hadnt been paying attention to the new Eldar releases, I might have thought this was an updated Eldrad model. Its perfect.