PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Stones...

Mordu22
03-11-2006, 21:13
Lets say im facing a VC army that had a necromancer setting behind a group of sekeltons, with my grudge thrower I can target the skeletons and then just guess the range on the long side to snipe the necromancer right? Or if there were some high elf scouts at the edge of a wood and a Lord on the other side of it, just guess long and pound him with a grudge. I haven't been seen any FAQ's about it and can someone blame you for not having a good judge of distance?

Mephistofeles
03-11-2006, 21:16
Well, you can basically fire any guess weapons at any target you want, visible or not, ruleswise that is. But it's terrible sportsmanship, just as is charging every enemy model on the tabletop turn one with your VC-army, just to make them run away. It's legal, but down right nasty if you do it!

Mordu22
03-11-2006, 21:23
the Rule book stahts (remember, the target has to bisible from the machine itself) thats why i was wondering about just guessing long

TheWarSmith
03-11-2006, 21:33
Well, you can basically fire any guess weapons at any target you want, visible or not, ruleswise that is. But it's terrible sportsmanship, just as is charging every enemy model on the tabletop turn one with your VC-army, just to make them run away. It's legal, but down right nasty if you do it!

Doing that with VC isn't even legal. You only have to flee IF the charge is found to be in range, so go ahead and charge, but you're denying yourself a march if you were originally able to.

It's pretty un "kosher" for you to target things NOWHERE close to LOS. If it's a character that went hiding behind a unit and you guess long, that's ok, but if it's a unit in trees separated from the rest of the force, that's poor.

Griefbringer
04-11-2006, 09:34
Well, as per the 6th edition clarification article from Annual 2002, over-guessing is allowed with stone-throwers, but not with mortars.

WLBjork
04-11-2006, 10:44
It was allowed in the 6th Ed rulebook, but that rule was removed from the 7th ed rulebook and you now have to target an enemy model within LoS.

intellectawe
04-11-2006, 15:08
Read the new rules under 7th edition. The rules clearly states that for a stone thrower to be able to shoot a target, the stone thrower ITSELF must be able to see the target.

Gone are those days of cheese gaming "shoot to where you think the enemy is" wording.

Put your warmachines on hills from now on :)

Mordu22
04-11-2006, 15:30
Yes Intell, I am say "i can see those rank and file from my machine" I from my god like postion above the battle field can also see a general on a horse 12 inches behind the unit of troops. I am going to target the unit of troops and just guess 12 inches futher than i normally would have

Mephistofeles
04-11-2006, 16:58
You can always guess "wrong" and hit what ever you want. In the new rules though, the direction of the shot i dictated by a model you can see. The line of the shot goes towards a model you can see. Then the range-guessing can be how cheesy you want.

Sorry about the VC-likeness, I didn't know that you didn't have to run away if they were not in range, sorry.

enyoss
04-11-2006, 18:21
If your question is whether you can just over guess by those 12" to hit the Lord when targetting the visible unit, the unfortunate answer is that yes, no-one can stop you from doing this.

The interesting thing is whether, if your opponent asks if that's what you've done, you would tell him? If my opponent answered yes, I would ask myself why I'm playing him. If he answered no, and was lying, I would ask myself why he's bothering to play me.

Not trying to be too pious though :).

Cheers,

enyoss

Alathir
05-11-2006, 00:51
This has come up a few times in our games, we decided its downright nasty to purposefully guess further and never do it.