PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2, some q+a's are in order...

Samoth
03-07-2005, 12:57
Well this game has a bucket load of new features, and I have some questions to ask about the more tricksy ones.

The commander. When you are the commander, what do all the little class/vehicle icons at the bottom of the caps lock screen mean? Second, how do you issue orders to individual squads?

When you are on the ground, or a commander viewing the caps lock map, how do you call for reinforcements to attack a certain position? Or, let me rephase that, how do you call for air strikes on a certain position? Aircraft seem to be almost useless in all but the most crowded maps, due to the lack of targets, and the fact that it takes two hits to kill anything with seeker missiles, and in the case of copters, hitting them with machine gun fire is nearly impossible. Also, the smart bombs. Occasionally I'll get a green rectangle over an enemy, similar to a heatseeking lock on enemies. But when I drop the bomb, it isnt guided or anything. What does it do? They are laser guided bombs, so, are they in any way guided/seeking?

Lastly, is it possible to give more specific orders? Eg - enemy troops capturing flag, request artillery. Because the commander cant be everywhere at once, and a whole bunch of jets and in some cases copters are flying around without (visible) targets...

Crux
04-07-2005, 02:20
Well, about the commander part...

When you have the Caps Lock-map up, you can right click on the map and place orders, as well as zoom in.

And to give orders to squads, click on the squad while having the Caps Lock-map up, right click on the place on the map where you want them to go, and choose the order from the list.

Samoth
04-07-2005, 08:26
Aah, ok, cool.

So when right clicking on the map, is thier an order for something like "fire on this spot"? Without using voice?

How about if you had pilots in a squadron. Or seperate squadrons. Could you order them to attack a certain point without voice, and have them communicate the orders to the pilots? Maybe if the squad leader is on the ground or is a gunner (without voice) and then orders his squad where to attack?

Ho hum, I just like all the roles and squads that the game has.

Sojourner
04-07-2005, 09:02
With the laser-guided missiles, you have to lock on. This is *extremely* difficult. You need to be pointing your crosshair at the target continually the moment it appears out of the fog. Hard if it's moving, and even harder if it's in cover. A laser missile will take out anything in one shot, though.

Try to get your commander to predesignate a target for you so you know roughly where it is.

Samoth
04-07-2005, 11:15
How the hell do you lock? Aka the seekers? This is usually how it goes.

Me, flying passed, and I see the enemy in teh green box.

I try to home in on it, and guesstimate teh bombs best as I can (aka bf vietnam and 42). But the pyshics are different, and I can never get it right. I can drop napalm on your hat in vietnam, but I cant get this to work yet (mind I've only practised for about 8 hours, and out of that only a tiny part was spent in a jet).

Also, if you do that, how do you avoid crashing afterwards? It seems to point your nose at the enemy, your basically pointing it at the ground. And if the laser lock is simialr to teh heat lock, by the time you get a decent lock, you'll likely have long since crashed into the ground.

Or is the laser lock faster than the seekers?

Sojourner
04-07-2005, 11:23
To lock, just point at it. However, the guidance system is slow and takes a long time. To laser bomb with a jet you have to throttle right back and give the system (too much) time.

Also, the missiles come out directly ahead and if you're too close, can't always turn tightly enough to hit the target. If you have the range though, they're spot on.

Samoth
04-07-2005, 13:03
So then the laser bombs arent as good at killing ground targets as the seekers are for killing air targets? Thought so... I've found a good tactic is to have one member of a squad in a jet, and have the squad leader drop an attack order on top of a defending tank, then order the rest of the squad to let the jet kill it.

Edit: and I dont have a joystick, so my throttle back usually kills me or sends me into vtol mode, also causing me to crash. :p :(

How about the tv-rockets? I hear they can lock too, but the most I've ever been able to do is simply fire them and guide them a little bit. But those really are awesomelly powerful, and easier to use than bombs.

Crux
05-07-2005, 03:23
Aah, ok, cool.

So when right clicking on the map, is thier an order for something like "fire on this spot"? Without using voice? Yeah, you can order artillery, supplies, UAV, everything.

Frodo34x
05-07-2005, 18:17
I can't wait till my birthday in August when I will get this game.

Star.Scream
05-07-2005, 18:39
>>>>>If you havnt used artillary much yet I would offer a bit of advice: be very carefull. I recall playing 'Strike at Karkand,' which is a very tight map through the streets of some City in the Middle East, and its dusty and feels just like BlackHawk down. Artillary has at least a 10-15second shooting to landing time; and your friendly troops, even if they were well out of the way when you issued the order, will find a way to get in the target area, and die, and then blame you for dropping artillary on them when the had plenty of warning in the first place. Nothing ruins a score worse then a bunch of dumb little kids who dont check their radar. As I was saying; be carefull with artillary on those tight City Maps.

Samoth
06-07-2005, 13:34
Thank you, will keep that in mind. Funnily enough that is one of the maps I played. A buddy flew me around in a black hawk, me dropping artillery, uav's and supplies, whilst he flew around using my prescence to capture flags faster.

Thalin
07-07-2005, 18:49
However, the guidance system is slow and takes a long time.

It only takes me a few seconds when the target is in range.

Samoth
08-07-2005, 17:22
But it only takes a few seconds to fly from one side of the map to the other, ecspecially without a joystick to control throttle.

Ares
09-07-2005, 07:20
I know how you feel Star.scream, whats worse is when they punish you for their stupidity.

super_steve
10-07-2005, 02:40
what does the punish actualy do to you ?

Gavmo
14-07-2005, 01:20
Yeah! I've searched all around the net and I cant find anywhere that will tell me what a punish will do to me or how many points I get for various things. I've heard that reviving people gets you 4 points or something but I cant confirm this.
Anyone know of any sites?

Shuya
15-07-2005, 01:27
anoyne know how to change it from half screen to full screen
i cant find the option in the video menu but my bro has changed it

Gavmo
15-07-2005, 08:07
There are 2 ways to fix this:
1. If you are older than him, punch him till he fixes it for you.
2. If you are younger than him, either pay him to fix it, or go dob on him.

Thalin
15-07-2005, 18:25
Basically, if you get a certain number of punishes, you are kicked and more than likely banned from the server.