PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Army Box

Anaris
03-11-2006, 22:53
Wasn't sure where to post this so....

So hands up who all got the Eldar Army box and the limited edition Autarch.

Hands up anyone else also annoyed that some boxes came with a Powersword and so came with a Scorpion Chainsword.

Hands up those that notice the lovely picture on the front of the box with him holding a Powersword, and again, being annoyed you never got one, or at the very least the option to equip one?

Finally, anyone notice that the Eldar Army box itself doesn't come with the wonderfully protective clause of "Contents may vary from those shown"

So I won't my Powersword.

Called GW Mail Order, told them that I didn't get the Powersword on the front of the box, which they said they would be more than happy to replace, asked for my name and address and guess what I got this morning in the mail?

If you feel so inclined, give them a call - it's not often you have to chance to screw them over. :)

sneb
03-11-2006, 22:55
I wasnt that annoyed I just took the extra power spear and wrist mounted pistol from the dire advenger sprue and replaced the current arms with these ones... it looks nice, with the pistol hand pointing into the distance it looks like he's commanding

The Orange
04-11-2006, 00:08
(Raises Hand)
Well, I probably can use one of the extra swords form the DA sprue, but what the heck, it's not everyday you get free stuff from GW :evilgrin: , thanks for the info.

Reflex
04-11-2006, 00:12
yeap i got it and got a chainsword... so i will ring em up and cry like a baby to met mine power sword.

thank god i am not the only one.

Vesica
04-11-2006, 01:32
cool, its makes me feel more confident in purchasing GW stuff when i read stories like this that have happy endings

Ziljin
04-11-2006, 01:34
this is in the uk right?

Seth the Dark
04-11-2006, 01:59
That whole box is a waste but the bigger waste is the Battalion box.

dragonlady
04-11-2006, 02:15
That whole box is a waste but the bigger waste is the Battalion box.

For those of us who don't know why- Why??? Details for the army box and the battalion??

Thanks

Ziljin
04-11-2006, 02:17
well you save massive money compared to buying them regularly. Well I assume so. I didn't calculate the savings.

Sakura
04-11-2006, 02:53
We in NZ and AU didn't get the powersword OR THE CODEX!!

There was 3 frames of banshee Powersword so one was left over but her arm isnt big enough for the autarch.

I am upset but i'll live.

I'm selling my Autarch.
If anyone wants it I am expecting enough to get a codex, you can have my Dire avenger exarch left overs as well. :P

TomKamakazi
04-11-2006, 04:13
If you need a power sword, There's a Dire Sword right there on the Dire Avenger frame. 2 of them infact!

I was actually quite pleased to get a chain sword, now I've got a spare to make my Scorpian Exarch's chain sabers with.

Sakura
04-11-2006, 12:05
Wow, chain sabres... awesome. The best way to make an exarch worse than the the troops :D

TomKamakazi
04-11-2006, 12:09
Chain Sabres are all about the style my friend, the style!

Anaris
04-11-2006, 14:09
Wow, chain sabres... awesome. The best way to make an exarch worse than the the troops :D

How so? He still gets more attacks on the charge and gets to re-roll hits and wounds, which actually makes him slightly better at wounding and a lot better at hitting.

Against GEq and most 'nids it's an excellent combo.

The Orange
04-11-2006, 18:51
Because he looses the +1 to STR, that the Scorp. Chansword gives.

rivers3162
04-11-2006, 20:53
I also got the chainsword as opposed to the power sword, so I mentioned it in my local store. They said it was a mail order screw up but if you give them a ring then they'll send you the power sword arm free of charge. Althought I got lucky and my friendly local GW manager gave me the new exarch blister and the bonesinger for free to make up for it. Bonus!!

Anaris
04-11-2006, 21:40
Because he looses the +1 to STR, that the Scorp. Chansword gives.

Like I said, not against T3 opponents, the re-roll to wound is stastically better than Str4 basic and no re-roll.

Same with shooting, would you rather have a BS4 or twin-linked BS3?

General Samuel of the 101
04-11-2006, 21:49
Bah,that Army Deal sure is Flawed
it doesnt save that much
yes,i think of buying a Autarch for painting and i think a Chainsword is soo imperial.......

Reflex
04-11-2006, 22:17
If you need a power sword, There's a Dire Sword right there on the Dire Avenger frame. 2 of them infact!

they go on the right arm, the autarchs pistol goes on the right arm, so uinless he is bunged up, it dosent work.. (i tryed it and cryed, then i sent GW an email)

sneb
04-11-2006, 22:18
Did you take the pistol arm from the dire advengers sprue, I even cliped the shimmershield off the arm and put it on my autarch's pistol arm for WYSIWYG purposes, thats how I did mine, it makes him look like he's commanding too

Montford981
05-11-2006, 03:50
Bah,that Army Deal sure is Flawed
it doesnt save that much

It does when you get a deal and only pay $200 for it. :cool:

Sakura
05-11-2006, 04:06
When I was complaining about the chain sabres I was complaining about the rules.
Indeed they are stylish looking. :)

However from what I could tell they incorperate a shurikan pistol in each hand making them twin linked.
How the hell is that "Level a storm of attacks at their foes!"?
Just incase you roll a 1 for the pistol you get to re-roll it.
Holy carp batman, thats awesome!
2 attacks base + 1 for chainsabres +1 for mandi's. Do you get +1 for 2 close combat weapons? It doesnt say it has them, they should be but it still donest say they are.

Thats 17 points for a weapon thats good against stuff that dies against pretty much anything that attacks it, wouldnt it make sense to have a weapon thats good agaisnt GEQs and everything else?

Scorpions are the worst unit to me in the Eldar codex.

chunk
05-11-2006, 09:27
I got the chain sword as well, my local GW manager opened a autarch blister and gave me the arms.

I still havent faulted their customer service

General Samuel of the 101
05-11-2006, 18:30
It does when you get a deal and only pay $200 for it. :cool:

not about the price per se,it just that more Dire Avengers could have been wanted,same thing as the batallion,5 Avengers in the batallion???? :wtf:

carl
05-11-2006, 19:41
2 attacks base + 1 for chainsabres +1 for mandi's. Do you get +1 for 2 close combat weapons? It doesnt say it has them, they should be but it still donest say they are.

Thats 17 points for a weapon thats good against stuff that dies against pretty much anything that attacks it, wouldnt it make sense to have a weapon thats good agaisnt GEQs and everything else?

Scorpions are the worst unit to me in the Eldar codex.

I think you miss the point, S3 with re-roll to wound is statisticly BETTER that S4 with no re-roll against every single toughness value it attacks. Add in the re-roll to hit and he can do a lot of damage TBH. However, i agree that compared to the Claw it's a poor choice and there's no reason to take anything else in competetive play.

IMHO the Claw should never have been part of the Scorps Exarch options in the first place, the unit is supposed to be anti-GEQ, and the Exarch should follow it. Then again i could point at Banshee Exarches with Executinor, or FD Exarches with Flamers e.t.c. There's plnety of Exarches that STILL don't match their specelisation, the damm Hawk Exarch is the only one who does anymore:(.

I've also got to ask why the Scorps don't get plasma grenades, i mean they are supposed to stalk though cover. They could even have incorparated the effects into the mandi-blaster if they wanted to.

Rork
05-11-2006, 20:16
I've also got to ask why the Scorps don't get plasma grenades, i mean they are supposed to stalk though cover. They could even have incorparated the effects into the mandi-blaster if they wanted to.

I'd suggest you take a look at the Eldar codex again on that score...because you're wrong.

carl
05-11-2006, 20:40
WOOOPS:o

Sorry about that, somehow missed it:p.

insaniak
06-11-2006, 23:37
There was 3 frames of banshee Powersword

...and I would recommend that everyone takes a close look at theirs, as all 3 of mine had one of the hands miscast, with only 3 fingers.

Had problems with the heavy weapon sprues as well... the missile launcher on all 3 (1 with the Vyper, 2 with the Falcon) is seriously warped.

And yes, my Autarch came with a chainsword.

Hellebore
07-11-2006, 00:44
A scorpion exarch with chainsabres gets 4 attacks (5 on the charge).
2base+1Xccw+1mandi+charge.

5 S3 attacks rerolling HITS, rerolling WOUNDS is ALWAYS better (as has been said) than S4 non reroll hits and wounds. Always.

The weapon I can't see myself using is the biting blade- no armour save negation/heavy ccw ability, so high S attacks don't mean much - the sacrificing of an attack for the ability to increase the strength isn't worth it to me (unless you are using your scorpions as very inefficient vehicle hunters by biting blading them to death).

I wouldn't be surprised if GW refused people getting the powerweapon, because all their boxes have a notice saying "contents may vary from those illustrated" precisely BECAUSE of this sort of thing.

Seems a bit pointless to have that disclaimer if you never actually enforce it.

Hellebore

insaniak
07-11-2006, 01:07
I wouldn't be surprised if GW refused people getting the powerweapon, because all their boxes have a notice saying "contents may vary from those illustrated" precisely BECAUSE of this sort of thing.

Seems a bit pointless to have that disclaimer if you never actually enforce it.

As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, the Army Box actually DOESN'T have that disclaimer on it...

Hellebore
07-11-2006, 01:25
As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, the Army Box actually DOESN'T have that disclaimer on it...

Lol.

The one time they could point to the disclaimer and they don't have one.

Hehehehe.

Hellebore

The Orange
07-11-2006, 04:41
...and I would recommend that everyone takes a close look at theirs, as all 3 of mine had one of the hands miscast, with only 3 fingers.

Had problems with the heavy weapon sprues as well... the missile launcher on all 3 (1 with the Vyper, 2 with the Falcon) is seriously warped.

And yes, my Autarch came with a chainsword.

Thanks for the warning, though, except for not getting a powersword with my Autarch, it looks like I got a pretty good box. Maybe it's just karma, I had a few miscasts with my Tau army box.

gambitds
07-11-2006, 05:16
Does this box include every sprue for the shown models or just the models we see?
i mean will i get the extra arms and weapons sprues,as i bought the units seperatly?

The Orange
07-11-2006, 05:52
Does this box include every sprue for the shown models or just the models we see?
i mean will i get the extra arms and weapons sprues,as i bought the units seperatly?

The banshee exarch comes with the mirror swords, and the executioner. Since the powersords comes in pairs, you can even equip her like a normal banshee, as long as you can find another left pistol arm.

The Fire Dragon exarch comes with the fire pike and the dragons breath.

My autarch only came with a right hand pistol and chainsaber.

Anything else you want to know?

gambitds
07-11-2006, 09:54
do we get the extra sprues and all weapons for wraithlord and dire avengers?

Mojaco
07-11-2006, 11:23
Yes you do.

I took one of the mirror swords for my autarch. the one that's hold with the blade down. Looks pretty cool actually.

Was I supposed to get a dragon's breath? I don't have that! I suppose that's how the extra fire dragon got in my box... :D

insaniak
07-11-2006, 19:07
Was I supposed to get a dragon's breath?

The Dragon's Breath and Firepike are together on a small sprue.

Sakura
08-11-2006, 06:45
If you have the pike and no flamer then someone swiped it.
and you get 6 models in the box, the only aspect boxes you get 5 models are the reapers and spiders.

Orion44
08-11-2006, 06:53
When I spoke to GW they said the chain sword is what you are supposed to get, you just can't telll because the teeth are always pointed down in the pictures.

However the biggest mix up in my box was that I got the body of Yriel and not the limited edition autarch.

Orion

Mojaco
08-11-2006, 07:57
Maybe I missed the dragon breath then. I'll check. But I definatly have 1 exarch and 6 fire dragons, so no complains there :)

insaniak
08-11-2006, 19:17
When I spoke to GW they said the chain sword is what you are supposed to get, you just can't telll because the teeth are always pointed down in the pictures.

Rubbish.

The chainsword has a gemstone on the back that isn't on the sword in the box picture. It also has gemstones on the sides, which aren't there in the pic, while you can clearly see (on a sword painted GW's trademark powersword-blue) the power lines running up the sides of the blade from the hilt. And the end of the blade is more pointed onthe powersword, which is also clearly visible in the pic.

That, and the model is pictured on page 72 of the codex as "Autarch with power weapon and shuriken pistol"

Falkman
08-11-2006, 19:57
I also got a chainsword, and mightily annoyed I was.
Even more annoying is that my Falcon only came with one clear window, when two are needed.
I just haven't gotten around to calling them yet, is it mail order or customer support I'm supposed to call?

t-tauri
08-11-2006, 20:13

However the biggest mix up in my box was that I got the body of Yriel and not the limited edition autarch.

OrionI don't know where you are but UK mail order are well aware of the problem and have been sending out replacement power swords.

The mini is meant to have the chainsword but when the army deal was assembled, painted and photo'ed somone put the power sword arm from one of the non-limited autarchs on. What they've got on the box, as Insaniak says, is certainly a power sword.

I just haven't gotten around to calling them yet, is it mail order or customer support I'm supposed to call?In the UK they're the same thing.

pompeyladbfp
08-11-2006, 20:30
yep they posted me out banshee autarch as his powersword is connected to him,so looks like i now have 2 autarchs!