PDA

View Full Version : Pure Goblin army ?

Nimol
04-11-2006, 15:53
Heya people

If ya dont like reading, skip to the end where I have my question, everything undtil then is just ...to break the ice you know ? ;)

I am very new to warhammer, and this entire hobby in general, so if you dont mind to much I would love to ask more expericend people a few things.

Now, when I first gazed a look at Warhammer, the images of green midgets dressed in black robes got to me.

That day I swore I would give up my social life, **** on my education and disband my family to form an army.

Well I buyed the Battle for skull pass set as I thought that would give me a good start.

So at the time I have 4 units of goblins, 2 spear units, 1 archer unit and a unit of spider riders.

hmmm I´m about to get more goblins but I do have a few questions

HERE IS THE QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO DIDENT READ THE ABOVE.
__________________________________________________ _____________

1: Does a pure Goblin army work well ? No orcs at all, not even orc seige.
Just goblin units and goblin characters and goblin seige. Does it work to game with ? I have heard they have bad stats, but they are cheap, but do goblins work well without orcs ?

2: Skarsnik the Night goblin boss, I would love to have him in a future army but how big a army would be suitable to have him in as leader ? 2000 points, 3000 points ? more ?:eek:

3: Do you happen to have a pure goblin army ? I would love to see photos of it :D

Well if there is anything I should know that I dident ask, feel free to add it :)

Thanks in advance

Brimstone
04-11-2006, 16:27
Nimol,

Please read the FAQ and posting guidelines, I've edited your post to make it more readable.

In answer to your questions.

1. Yes a no Orc army works although you will probably need Trolls or giants.

2. 2000pts is about the smallest you could fit him in.

3. Sorry still painting it.

Nimol
04-11-2006, 16:39
Nimol,

Please read the FAQ and posting guidelines, I've edited your post to make it more readable.

In answer to your questions.

1. Yes a no Orc army works although you will probably need Trolls or giants.

2. 2000pts is about the smallest you could fit him in.

3. Sorry still painting it.

Thanks, and sorry about the mistake thingy, Ive read Faq and it shall not happen again.

Bortus
04-11-2006, 17:02
I agree with Brimstone all the way. Ya gotta have some terror and fear causers on the board and I also like my spear chuckas too. With a lot of magic and shooty things and a good front line of fear causers you'll be alright but just remember one thing I learned. This is abviously not a powerful army but what it is is a fun one. Fun being the key here so win or lose that's what it's all about. If you go into a game with that mentality then your alright. I have no pics either but maybe that's something I should remedy...hmnn...

Mephistofeles
04-11-2006, 17:26
Yeah a Pure Goblin Force works just fine, but you need some tricks up your sleeve. Some thoughts:

You need trolls or/and Giants, to have some tough units who cause fear and terror.

Use quite a lot of fast cavalry like Wolf Riders and Spider Riders, for their mobility and ability to flank stuff. Goblins win by combat resolution, not by killing stuff.

Use a fair bit of shamen, maybe 2-3 of 'em, one of the few things goblins do almost as well as others is magic.

Use some Bolt Throwers, maybe 4 of 'em, maybe more. They are cheap, good and damn cool.

It sounds as though you have planned to have a Night Goblin army, which I think is the "only" way to go to succeed. Use a lot of fanatics, netters and other dirty tricks to win, it works real nice, and is good fun.

Try to get a leader with a decent Leadership, that's goblin armies biggest weakness, their low LD, so try to have a general with good LD to avoid that as far as possible.

That's about as much as I can say right now, I'm no expert at that whole O&G-thingie, but I try :P

TheWarSmith
07-11-2006, 18:13
One of the best tactics out there for fanatics is to place snotlings 3-4" in front. When the enemy comes nearby, your fanatics will get roughly an extra 2" for your initial fanatic release. You will kill some snotlings, but you'll give yourself a MUCH better chance of hitting the opponent hard on the first turn out(which is deadlier)

2 giants can be a pretty nasty addition to a pure goblin force.

notsoevil
07-11-2006, 18:23
I think a Pure Goblin Force with 2 Giants is where I'd want to go next myself. Sometime next year perhaps.

Cpt. Drill
07-11-2006, 19:20
I warn you I am playing the 2k Night gobbo army led by skarsnik at the moment..... Its very very fun to use... but it is not as competative as you might hope!

It suffers from the fact that the bulk of your army will be goblins.. and they just arnt good at all... there are few units that stuggle to break them in combat...

But if you are sneaky with magic, fast cav and giants..... you will do just fine!

One more point dont take to many fanatics... they are over rated...

Mephistofeles
07-11-2006, 19:28
I've played a Goblin army with over 200 models, a Giant and 30 (yup, 30!) fanatics. They aren't that good, but they sure as hell mess up your tactic, plans, units and game!

And to respond to that tip on using snotlings to boost the range of your fanatics. Catapulting is NOT fair. Seriously, it's so cheesy/beardy/terrible that I can't find words for it. Catapulting fanatics are just not good gaming. At all. Please don't. Please.

zak
07-11-2006, 19:31
Too many fanatics are a big mistake. Buy them for some, but not all of your units to keep the enemy guessing. Always take netters as these are a must against all close combat foes.
Try two giants and two blocks of 3 trolls. Try to keep the trolls either side of your general otherwise they will fail their stupidity test and fall behind your main battle line.
Get bolt throwers. These are great. You can swap the crew for a few converted night gobbo's if you wish. I really can't say just how much damage these little guys have done. They will always pay back the points, but that's not difficult at a paltry 35 points each.

Punk_in_Drublic
07-11-2006, 19:36
I just played a fantasy tournament, where I met one of the coolest armies ever. My opponent fielded a pure night goblin force with big, big regiments of nightgobbos (3 fanatics in each of course), two large regiments of squigs, 2 giants and (he didn't bring them because he hadn't painted them up yet) squig hoppas. The army was lead by a night gobbo big boss, he had two shamans and a bsb.

Now, the army is not hard. It is very amusing to play and play against. There is a lot of randomness to it, with all the squigs, which either is or isn't your cup of tea. Don' field it and expect to win a lot of games, but expect to have an awesome looking force and a lot of fun.

I want one to. Maybe just a 1000 points. (...)

Later,

-Punk

woytek
07-11-2006, 20:30
It's nice, you can make a nice start with battle for skull pass boxes. Maybe even 2. Just remember you will get spear goblins and nothing else, you can't change their weapon options unless you go converting. But considering you will get 80 night goblins with spears for only 100 euro's and you will get alot of other stuff too....

wallacer
07-11-2006, 22:24
I'll try to get some pictures of my Goblin raiding force uploaded for you.

Omegakai
07-11-2006, 22:41
i also have a prure goblin raiding force (well if you dont count giants)
at the last gt i surpised a few people. i also have an all night gobo one. with 6 units of night goblins and loads of squigs and squig hoppers. lets just say 18 finatic and a squig screen on the old rules made people cry.

Rikkjourd
07-11-2006, 22:53
I am currently building an all goblin force too. I have very big problems trying to make a list that actually feels competetive, though I don't have much tabletop experience with it. It goes something like this:

1 Giant
4 Trolls
4 Spear chuckas
1 rock lobba
1 chariot
A small squig herd

hundreds of goblins with all different options, including netz
like 15 fanatics
almost 30 spider riders
10 snotling bases

truckload of different characters, enough to use ONLY shamans or ONLY bosses up to 4k pts (even including giant squig mount for my NG boss! 0_o)

Unwise
08-11-2006, 01:32
I have seen no mention of goblin wolfriders or goblin chariots. They were both really great troops last time I looked. Has something happened to them to make them not worthwhile in 7th edition?

My planned goblin army features them very prominently.

Dranthar
08-11-2006, 02:28
I'm working on an pure goblin force as well.

Right now my 2000pts list will probably look something like;

Warboss
BSB
NG Shaman
NG Shaman
1x unit squig hoppers
1-2x Units of Squig herds
2x Spear chukkas
2+ Snotling pump wagons
4x5 Spider riders
Various snotling regiments
4+ NG regiments

IMO fanatics should definitely not be taken in too great a numbers. They're great for a defensive block of NGs taking a charge, but otherwise they just get in the way if you're trying to charge stuff yourself. My own list will probably only have 3-4 total.

Madgit
08-11-2006, 02:55
I have seen no mention of goblin wolfriders or goblin chariots. They were both really great troops last time I looked. Has something happened to them to make them not worthwhile in 7th edition?

My planned goblin army features them very prominently.

Problem now is you only get one Goblin chariot per special choice. They are still just as good as they were before, but now just one chariot in exchange for one of our precious Special slots is harder to justify. On the bright side though, Bosses can take chariots as mounts now, and a nekkid gobbo big boss is only 35 points. :evilgrin:

wallacer
09-11-2006, 20:21
well, as promised here are some pictures of my all Goblin raiding force (well, all Goblin apart from the giant)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00338.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00344.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00350.jpg

wallacer
09-11-2006, 20:22
And some more.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00351.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00353.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00356.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/wallacer/DSC00357.jpg

wallacer